Marc Guehi

gdm

Just now, Heron said:

I honestly don't see the worry or clamour for RW. If we shore up our defence, we'll be fine. We scored goals for fun last season we just conceded far too many.

Likewise - it is an area which could obviously be improved, but we scored more goals last season than we’d ever scored in the top flight in my lifetime.  Don’t see the desperation. 

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

I honestly don't see the worry or clamour for RW. If we shore up our defence, we'll be fine. We scored goals for fun last season we just conceded far too many.

The previous year we had one of best defences in the league. Same group of players. No league season is the same. If Gordon has a few more off games than he did last season for example. The RW is an issue. If Trippier isn’t going to start as many games or even be here you’ll soon see how much of an issue it’ll be. Trippier got 10 assists last season. 9 more than Almiron 

Edited by gdm

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Likewise - it is an area which could obviously be improved, but we scored more goals last season than we’d ever scored in the top flight in my lifetime.  Don’t see the desperation. 

Just had a look and we scored 85 - so 2.2 goals per game (rounded down). Scoring goals isn't our issue.

To pinch Carlin's metaphor a bit - the transfer window is a complete and utter freak show, being a Newcastle fan gives you a front row seat.

We're all watching it but we just get a closer look at it 

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Think it's just the natural in-built thing with football fans to want attacking players. We definitely still need an RW like, have done for a while, but I'm okay with waiting for the right player, just so long as they are, and that the players we get the meantime vindicate Eddie's approach. He's been right up until now and I'm more than happy to trust him. 

Just now, gdm said:

The previous year we had one of best defences in the league. Same group of players. The RW is an issue. If Trippier isn’t going to start as many games or even be here you’ll soon see how much of an issue it’ll be. Trippier got 10 assists last season. 9 more than Almiron 

It's not the issue folk are making it out to be. If we add Guehi and get Schar and Botman back. We'll be fine.

At this point we just need a first team signing to lift the tension and give us a boost. Ideally we won’t be paying so much there we go.

I hope moving forward we start shopping abroad again 

3 hours ago, Heron said:

It's not the issue folk are making it out to be. If we add Guehi and get Schar and Botman back. We'll be fine.

Perhaps management is wanting to see if Eddie can get this team back into the CL with a limited schedule this year? Then they will trust him with a £100m winger.

8 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

It's infuriating given how careful I have had to be reporting on anything with my latest gig, especially when we could easily fall into a defamtion suit if we aren't as careful as possible.

It's all fluff when it's about sport though innit. Just makes it even funnier when Craig Hope plays the 'I'm a journalist' card when he's shit stirring, as if he's uncovered Watergate.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Heron said:

I respectfully disagree. Gordon had a tremendous season if he doesn’t quite hit those heights, Isak gets injured and trippier doesn’t play we won’t score as many goals. I really don’t like comparing seasons. Other clubs are strengthening (in theory) we really struggle to create on that right hand side without trippier 

I really think Pope being out for so long is the biggest factor that contributed to us being so defensively shite last season. That plus us persisting with Burn at LB in a period where he was getting rinsed by any winger with pace.

We last signed a RW in 2017 and our current 2 options there will be over 30 this season and aren't good enough.

2 minutes ago, Shearer9 said:

Perhaps management is wanting to see if Eddie can get this team back into the CL with a limited schedule this year? Then they will trust him with a £100m winger.

It’s more likely we’ve a set figure of cash to spend and we’ve spent £60m and another £70m is going on Guehi 

Thing is their egos are looking like they're going to be very bruised regardless of what happens now:

We chase him for 5 weeks and still don't land him - they look stupid

We eventually close the deal but we end up overpaying and caving in to Palace's demands - they look weak

3 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Being cucked by Palace for Marc Guehi whilst teams around us have made the moves they have is a bit galling.

What sort of moves are you thinking of there? Genuine question, I haven't paid much attention beyond our own business 

1 minute ago, midds said:

Thing is their egos are looking like they're going to be very bruised regardless of what happens now:

We eventually close the deal but we end up overpaying and caving in to Palace's demands - they look weak

100% - the whole transfer window is looking a bit of a shambles

14 minutes ago, gdm said:

I respectfully disagree. Gordon had a tremendous season if he doesn’t quite hit those heights, Isak gets injured and trippier doesn’t play we won’t score as many goals. I really don’t like comparing seasons. Other clubs are strengthening (in theory) we really struggle to create on that right hand side without trippier 

But ultimately, you have to compare seasons to understand where your own strengths and weaknesses are and that of others. Tactically, you won't know how other teams plan to set up etc. So that is the great unknown.

Adding Guehi (or similar) allows us to move to a very solid back 3 with more advanced wing backs in Hall, Kelly (?) and Tino without even considering Trippier if we get another season out of him. Our CM is very solid, with Tonali, Bruno and Joelinton without even considering Willock or Longstaff. Willock could also be deployed on a wing and we have Barnes, Gordon and Miggy all for there too. If we get Wilson fit ( :lol: ) perhaps even Isak plays out there with Wilson centrally.

We're both talking IFs and buts ultimately.

Edited by Heron

Just now, midds said:

And then Guehi turns out to be a bit shit. Imo he doesn't have the qualities but I won't get into that again.. Does he have the character to handle the massively inflated fee? 15 of the top 20 transfers in the PL couldn't.. far better footballers and stronger characters than fucking Guehi if I may add..

Screenshot_20240826-221827.png

6 minutes ago, midds said:

Best thing for them is fucking Palace off and signing a cheaper (and hopefully better) equivalent.

19 minutes ago, gdm said:

The previous year we had one of best defences in the league. Same group of players. No league season is the same. If Gordon has a few more off games than he did last season for example. The RW is an issue. If Trippier isn’t going to start as many games or even be here you’ll soon see how much of an issue it’ll be. Trippier got 10 assists last season. 9 more than Almiron 

Sven Botman being injured and Pope being injured most of last season are the elephants in the room here. We still absolutely need a CB...and an RW, and a GK, and a DM.

Edited by Kid Icarus