Marc Guehi

gdm

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

I don't totally disagree, but we probably need that character up front rather than in defence.

We have it! Nobody can tell me Isak isn't a fucking nutcase of a man. 

2 minutes ago, KDT said:

Our centre midfielder just clotheslined someone last game & the week before that we had a player sent of for a headbutt (soft).

Yeah, that head butt didn't impress me either. Schar is too much of a good egg.

19 minutes ago, BottledDog said:

Arguably though Andy, the team lacks edge, not good eggs.

Howe will never see it, but maybe we need a gallic shrug of a man, a disruptor, a bad boy.

Haven't we just been described as animals ?

Just now, The Prophet said:

There will be more interest in him. We currently have a free run at him.

That's a fair point. From my perspective, I guess I don't really understand our logic then on holding out over 5m. We're already in dreamland deal value territory at 65m for the lad, and by all indications, he is the be all end all top target for Eddie, so why make a big fuss over something slightly over that valuation?

Confusing.

32 minutes ago, Andy said:

We seem to scout based on personality as much as footballing ability though. It may be that there are other targets out there with similar potential ability to Guehi, like Lacroix for example, but the club's interest is driven by more than that. 

Guehi is a leader and clearly a good egg too based on the way he has handled this transfer, also very popular amongst other players by all accounts. 

Too many people treat transfers as some kind of plug-and-play exercise. FIFA/FM on the brain.

“Why pay so much for Guehi when we could have *insert player* for only half as much?”

Because we want Guehi and don’t want that other player? Because we have concerns about that other player fitting in well to the squad, or adapting to Premier League football?

Transfer histories are littered with promising young players who disappear like a fart in the wind after a season or two.

15 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Ask a silly question... 

In a hypothetical world where we can have Guehi for 50m in January, is his joining us now worth ~20m to you?

Edit: Happy to spell out the question more clearly for you.

Edited by Upthemags

My understanding is he is now likely to stay at Palace and sign a new contract with a release clause. He expected other clubs to be in for him.

He is happy at Palace but wants Champions League level football. Newcastle seen as a sideways move with more downside than upside. A release clause in a new contract gets him financial security and the freedom to move if the right club comes in for him. (Eze and Olise in same position at Palace)

Mitchell messed up with his nonsensical low balls. 70 million 3 weeks ago and he would be wearing black and white now

Just now, Jordan whyayew said:

My understanding is he is now likely to stay at Palace and sign a new contract with a release clause. He expected other clubs to be in for him.

He is happy at Palace but wants Champions League level football. Newcastle seen as a sideways move with more downside than upside. A release clause in a new contract gets him financial security and the freedom to move if the right club comes in for him. (Eze and Olise in same position at Palace)

Mitchell messed up with his nonsensical low balls. 70 million 3 weeks ago and he would be wearing black and white now

Thanks Marra

Just now, Jordan whyayew said:

Your understanding being backed with...?

1 minute ago, Jordan whyayew said:

Another ITK know fuck all nugget 

1 minute ago, Jordan whyayew said:

Curb Your Enthusiasm Ok GIF

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

If we do sign a different defender and Guehi stays at Palace then I can imagine it being a massive regret for him for the rest of his playing days 

Why would it be? He either signs a new deal on more money with a release clause or he goes next summer to a club like Liverpool who are currently a step ahead of us.