Marc Guehi

gdm

2 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Would you rather buy 3 Jack Clarkes or a single purple in Guehi? 

You’re presenting two extremes. A Max Kiliman or a Milenkovic which others have signed would have strengthen us in defence, not quite Guehi levels.

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't follow. Are you suggesting we pay £70m plus when we don't rate them that expensive and have PSR to contend with (which isn't bollocks, sorry to say), or suggesting we don't try to buy players we rate for £60m plus? I'm confused. 

Hes saying psr is an issue, it's not. If it was we wouldn't be putting £60m+ bids in for 2 players. The issue is they put their eggs in one palace basket and got fucked over and now look stupid. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I absolutely love Howe but the reasons he's given for potentially getting no one in don't make any sense like. 

You can not believe the reasons, but how don't they make sense? 

I absolutely love Howe but the reasons he's given for potentially getting no one in don't make any sense like. 

They align with what the bullshit-merchants Hope and Downie said was his opinion perfectly - Guehi or nobody for Howe.

Whether Mitchell feels the same, we don't know.

It makes sense that the club only want players who will improve us, and don't want to overspend. But the failure to identify alternatives to the players we've missed out on is poor, to me. 

We shouldn't be going into the last day of the window, having signed basically no one, with Marc Guehi at an inflated cost being the only remaining option. 

There are loads of players out there that would improve us. We aren't Man City.

1 minute ago, Max Cherry said:

So there's nobody else that could improve us other than Guehi? Riiiiiight 

If you can give me five players who are 100% going to be better than Schär and Botman, are under 26, available for under <£70m and willing to move to a club with no European football then I’d be impressed. 

Point being that the elite CB pool is very thin. And I don’t think it takes a genius to read the tea leaves of the window and work out the Malick Thiaw probably decided he wasn’t willing to come and liked his chances better playing CL football with Milan. 

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Hes saying psr is an issue, it's not. If it was we wouldn't be putting £60m+ bids in for 2 players. The issue is they put their eggs in one palace basket and got fucked over and now look stupid. 

if PSR is an issue then we should try to do delayed deals like the Hall one, or simply no bidding right from the beginning

It further strengthen the claims that we have limited our targets to the extreme and hence kinda backfired 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

It makes sense that the club only want players who will improve us, and don't want to overspend. But the failure to identify alternatives to the players we've missed out on is poor, to me. 

We shouldn't be going into the last day of the window, having signed basically no one, with Marc Guehi at an inflated cost being the only remaining option. 

There are loads of players out there that would improve us. We aren't Man City.

Are there loads of players out there that A) fit the player profile, B) fit the price structure, C) fit the wage structure, D) fit the no dick head policy, and E) are happy to join with no European football?

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

My understanding of what he was saying about PSR was just that it's the reason we daren't make a mistake.

3 minutes ago, stozo said:

If you can give me five players who are 100% going to be better than Schär and Botman, are under 26, available for under <£70m and willing to move to a club with no European football then I’d be impressed. 

Point being that the elite CB pool is very thin. And I don’t think it takes a genius to read the tea leaves of the window and work out the Malick Thiaw probably decided he wasn’t willing to come and liked his chances better playing CL football with Milan. 

Simakan, 45m euro.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

Are there loads of players out there that A) fit the player profile, B) fit the price structure, C) fit the wage structure, D) fit the no dick head policy, and E) are happy to join with no European football?

I'm absolutely convinced there are players across the world that fit that profile that are better than some of our starting 11, yeah

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Paul Mitchell probably thinks there are like.

Eddie Howe doesn't seem to however.

5 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

:icon_puke_l:

He’s absolutely right… and precisely why people on here including myself can’t stand the excessive over the top negativity. When this club and its supporters are aligned, we’re incredible. If we tear them to shreds over a poor transfer window, that just leads to negative vibes, upheaval, abuse on social media (already started)… it achieves nothing and contributes far more to a poor season than the thing people are moaning about.

Edited by Shadow Puppets

Because bemoaning PSR and attempting to spend £70m on one defender aren't incompatible but they're about as close as it gets.

Maybe he was referring to the longer term effects, and Howe doesn't think an alternative option who he's less sure on that costs £40-50 million is a risk worth taking when it effects how much we can spend in future windows. 

1 minute ago, Zero said:

if PSR is an issue then we should try to do delayed deals like the Hall one, or simply no bidding right from the beginning

It further strengthen the claims that we have limited our targets to the extreme and hence kinda backfired 

I can hear the screams now.

Why have we signed this kid? Got to pay £40m at the end of the season, ffs? Why's Eddie not playing him? Mustn't fancy him? 

Rinse, repeat

Just now, Sean said:

Paul Mitchell probably thinks there are like.

Eddie Howe doesn't seem to however.

IF, and it’s a big IF, that’s true, is that not simply because Eddie works with them everyday?

He knows better than anyone at the club the type of player / characters we need. Do you not think he’s earned that respect and trust?

I just don't think what's happened this window reflects this small pool of elite players stuff. We've been linked to Guehi and Olise, yes, but also been linked to or signed:

• Kelly
  • Osula
  • Tosin
  • Trafford

There's obviously a level of comfort in improving the squad but we suddenly switched to just focusing on 1 player mid-way through the window and decided to stop all focus on a RW as well despite having good cash to play with?