Marc Guehi

gdm

5 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

First of all, we don't even know that we have £60m to spend (or, more accurately, approx. £18-20m in costs to add) without growing revenue or reducing costs later.

But if we assume we do have that much to spend with no strings attached then we have until June 30, 2025 to spend it so that just feels like a bad faith argument. I can understand wanting it to be used to improve the team for this season and the associated frustration, but "won't spend" harkens back to Ashley and it's quite clear that's not what's going on here.

It's not clear though is it. It screams of couldn't get the deal over the line. We've been there and done that. It's poor man.

5 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

They’ve only fucked themselves if they want to sell - they clearly don’t.

It’s in the context If he gets a bad injury then they’ve lost out on £70m on a player that’s out months injured with his contract running down 

Sick of Crystal Parish now, like. God/Dave, if you’re reading this; cancel that whole “ending world hunger” wish, I’ve changed my mind. Send Palace and that smug twat down to the Championship please. And give him a micropenis.

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

My feeling is that Guehi is the shiny toy Howe wants, and he won’t be happy with any of the other ones on the shelves. Seriously though, I’m just saying this because I see quite a few blaming Eales and PM here and there. Having said that, I’d be shocked if PM didn’t have quite a few options as alternatives. Not looking very promising as of now on the whole. 

This is very obviously what is going on. One of the best identifiers of young talent spends 4 weeks "negotiating" for the most overpriced asset you could probably find in the country right now. The same guy who picked Heung Min Son and Sadio Mane out of the crowd for a pittance.

But be careful - you'll catch a lot of flack for this one. You are right though.

3 minutes ago, Ikon said:

My feeling is that Guehi is the shiny toy Howe wants, and he won’t be happy with any of the other ones on the shelves. Seriously though, I’m just saying this because I see quite a few blaming Eales and PM here and there. Having said that, I’d be shocked if PM didn’t have quite a few options as alternatives. Not looking very promising as of now on the whole. 

Came here to say pretty much the same, you can guarantee Guehi was Howes top choice and it’s not looking  likely now.. you’ve gotta wonder how this might go down between management. Him starting tonight doesn’t change a whole lot, but obviously suggests that a deal isn’t imminent. 

This thread will be hilarious tonight 

What I find strange is there’s no noise about alternative CBs other than Tapsoba last week which wasn’t realistic. Is Guehi an opportunist attempt to sign a player (contract winding down and rivals not wanting him at the price we were willing to pay) and it’s him or nothing?

Just now, The Prophet said:

It's a standard negotiating time frame for such a large deal, but it's very unusual for it to be so public. That's what has made it feel like a drag.

It has been dragging on. No two ways about it. 

1 minute ago, mofo said:

😅😅 We know fuck all about the details man.

If the deal wasn’t there to be made, we should have moved on a week ago, it’s quite clear palace were stringing us along, if Eales and Mitchel have put all their eggs in this basket then I’m sorry but they are a fucking joke. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

We have already spent close to 40, can’t see us having more if we spend another 70 on Guehi.

I was thinking about this, and would love to be corrected on it. If the constraint is £105M in cumulative losses over a three-year period, then that's £35M/year. If we can recognize sales right away and amortise player purchases over the duration of their (4-5 year) contracts, then we should be able to spend at least £100M every year in new transfers. Example, buy players worth £100M and give them four-year contracts, you only recognize £25M in losses in the current year and you have room for an extra £10M in other losses.

Just now, Menace said:

There was absolutely no reason for them to cup tie a player if he's about to be sold. If we still go ahead with it after they've took the piss multiple times - we are fucking mugs.

Until we agree a fee, he's still their player. They won't give a shit if he's cup tied, wouldn't even be surprised if they've done it just to be cunts.

Just now, The Prophet said:

It's a standard negotiating time frame for such a large deal, but it's very unusual for it to be so public. That's what has made it feel like a drag.

Yup.

Calafiori, Merino, Ugarte, De Ligt and others have all been the same.