Newcastle United vs. Southampton - 17/08/2024 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

Disco

I don't think he'll risk Kelly or Willock. Sounds like we've been very careful with them so far and I expect that'll continue for the foreseeable unless other injuries take hold - neither has really played that much football during the preseason.

Feels like the big calls are Tripps/Tino and Barnes/Gordon. Hope it's Tino and both Barnes/Gordon.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

21 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Gordon will definitely play IMO, no doubt. 

100%.

Gordon won't allow the fact he was back later than the rest as an excuse to not start him.

He may be subbed off fairly early though.

Edited by STM

Fully expect the below based on fitness and easing in new players:

Pope

Tino Schar Burn Hall

Longstaff Bruno Joelinton

Murphy Isak Gordon

Bench: Dubravka, Trippier, Kelly, Krafth, Willock, J. Miley, Almiron, Barnes, Osula

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

Fully expect the below based on fitness and easing in new players:

Pope

Tino Schar Burn Hall

Longstaff Bruno Joelinton

Murphy Isak Gordon

Bench: Dubravka, Trippier, Kelly, Krafth, Willock, J. Miley, Almiron, Barnes, Osula

Bar any injuries in training this week, I think you have got both the starting lineup and bench spot on! Only uncertainty is whether Trippier starts instead of Tino.

6 minutes ago, mosstef said:

Bar any injuries in training this week, I think you have got both the starting lineup and bench spot on! Only uncertainty is whether Trippier starts instead of Tino.

I think Trippier would start if he was fully fit, but he's returned late from international duty and holidays, so would expect Tino to get the nod based on that.

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t understand this fear TBH, Hall has been one of our best players since he got his main chance. 

I can't explain it either. :lol: Probably a bit broken after "that" Burn spell last season.

Great first game for us. Really good chance to have an exciting start to the season. Promoted clubs can be tricky but out of all of them I think Southampton are the ones you'd want to play first. 

I don't think our first 5 games are as easy as alot of are making out so this one is massive to get some confidence going into an away game at Bournemouth where we don't tend to do that well. Plus then two really tough games in Spurs and Wolves.

Can't ask for an easier first game of season IMO. Newly promoted side, one that takes silly risks and plays open, with the lack of quality to match.

One we should be rampant from word go. 4-0

Referee: Craig Pawson. 

Assistants: Marc Perry, Mark Scholes. 

Fourth official: Dean Whitestone. 

VAR: Chris Kavanagh. 

Assistant VAR: James Mainwaring.

On 12/08/2024 at 13:32, Gallowgate Toon said:

I don't think he'll risk Kelly or Willock. Sounds like we've been very careful with them so far and I expect that'll continue for the foreseeable unless other injuries take hold - neither has really played that much football during the preseason.

Feels like the big calls are Tripps/Tino and Barnes/Gordon. Hope it's Tino and both Barnes/Gordon.

Pretty sure Murphy will start due to pre season form.