Newcastle United 1-0 Southampton (17/08/24)

Disco

1 hour ago, The Bonk said:

Funny that we have a healthy animosity towards these lot as they couldn’t be further away from us as a club or city.

Those League Cup games had some spice and that’s carried into today. 

It’s the most nowt place you could ever hope to visit n all. Their club is the perfect representation of the city. 

6 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Their board is a good read. Bitter, as you can imagine. 

#AnnounceLink

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

Thought Southampton were good. Definitely their setup give us problems. All over the pitch they seemed that bit sharper

Think that is the classic first game of the season for a newly promoted team simply outworking the established team. With the exception of working harder than us and being extremely cynical/dirty with their constant shirt and arm pulling, they were very unimpressive I thought. Will be a massive achievement for them if they somehow manage to stay up.

11v11 I think we eventually would have won more comfortably than we did as they got more and more tired.

21 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Think that is the classic first game of the season for a newly promoted team simply outworking the established team. With the exception of working harder than us and being extremely cynical/dirty with their constant shirt and arm pulling, they were very unimpressive I thought. Will be a massive achievement for them if they somehow manage to stay up.

11v11 I think we eventually would have won more comfortably than we did as they got more and more tired.

Yes, you can't keep missing chances like that and stay up. Was the kind of game they'll probably rue in a few months.

9 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We weren’t really bad FFS. Half an hour of the first game of the season. 

Yea, I mean at home against promoted team. They kept the ball really well and our press didnt work. We dropped to 4-5-1 quite quickly. 

I have no doubt we would have been better as the game went on, but suurelta it is not wrong to critize the first half an hour? It was also first game for Southampton. 

6 hours ago, LFEE said:

Thought Southampton were good. Definitely their setup give us problems. All over the pitch they seemed that bit sharper. They dealt with the physical presence of Joelinton well also whoever it was they put up against him.

Of the three opening games under EH definitely our poorest. Thankfully they pretty much gifted us our only opportunity which we did well to punish.

AG not at the races. Body language not the best either but hopefully overthinking it.

Didnt understand the red card if the other got a yellow. Either both red. Both yellow. If one is a red then you can’t give a yellow to the other. Just doesn’t make sense.

Back four did well and Hall subbed at right time. Quite telling Trippier got no game time though again maybe overthinking.

Midfield was poor. Bruno way off the pace. Longstaff similar. Joelinton held us together.

Not really the game to judge the forward line. Isak did well for the goal. Wide forwards did very little.

Very good three points all things considered.

Gordon, Isak and Bruno not quite clicking into their game is a concern. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen too many times. 

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Gordon, Isak and Bruno not quite clicking into their game is a concern. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen too many times. 

Is it a concern?

We already know they can play well together. What extra information is there from the first game of this season versus 40 odd games last season?

I don't think there's any need to read into the first 28 minutes of the season and jump to negative conclusions about how the rest will go. We had plenty of games last year where we started slow and turned it on in the second half to get the win, not to mention the understandable caveat of rust on the part of one of our key players (Gordon).

Our defensive resilience over the 90 was very encouraging though. Reminded me of the season we got Top 4 - uncomfortable viewing but there was ALWAYS someone in the right place to block a shot or make a tackle. Could've played another 90 and I don't think Southampton were scoring.

I thought we were good for the first 5minutes with high intensity but a slight lack of cohesion in the 15minutes that followed (regarding pressing) saw us a little disjointed and Southampton with the capability to pick pockets of space and counter with better effect than the rest of the game.

Anthony Gordon looked out of position for me defensively - although I'm not sure if we were deliberately flooding the centre to force them wide, knowing that Schar and Burn could likely sweep up any crosses with relative comfort. Overall, I thought Gordon looked knackered and deflated and was probably our worst performer on the day, despite putting effort in, as always.

I think the sending off, whilst not a sending off for me, was inevitable as soon as that cheating twat went down and Schars reaction actually gave a window of opportunity for the useless referee and them to get one up on us, which the latter were looking for all game. Schar was a bit silly as a player of that experience. I also think the sending off was a light bulb moment for us tbh where there was a realisation that our players must screw their loaf and work as a team out of necessity rather than a want. Eddie Howe's management of the situation was excellent, quickly adapting and ensuring we were fairly air tight defensively.

Interestingly, that meant that we went from the attacking side to the counter attacking side and the game flipped and we capitalised on our one chance (of very few for both sides) across the game. They continued to prove they were there to niggle and cheat as evidently they had insufficient quality or capability to break us down.

At this point, I must doff my cap to the while team but in particular 3 players - Joelinton who was absolutely unplayable. That cheating, baldy twat was climbing all over him from the start (trying to do what that Brereton Diaz(?) did to Schar and wind him up to the point of doing something silly) all game. Even right in front of the ref in the Strawberry Corner and the ref did nowt about it. It was ultimately the refs lack of control and seemingly attitude that "he wouldn't be manipulated by the crowd" that enabled the situation for Schar to be sent off. However, Joelinton exercised his aggression with perfect control and defiantly dragged their team about as if he was enjoying it.

Bruno - he gave a real "lead by example" performance as captain. If he brings the talking element to his game I think he'll be a quality skipper. He made one daft tackle with about 10mins to go on the edge of our box but after that won 2 or 3 which were barely fouls and saw us out the game.

Finally Dan Burn - who still wasn't getting the adulation he deserved for me from the crowd, but hey ho. He was a man mountain at CB and lead the team through fantastic organisation, positioning and tackling.

All in all, a good, hard-fought win that other fans and pundits will assume "Newcastle struggled to beat promoted Southampton" which is great. Continue to fly under the radar and when the time comes smash the big 6.

Edited by Heron

10 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

I see BBC Newcastle commentary not on the extended highlights. Shame if that’s permanent.

Yeah im sure that Ando had something to say about their keeper passing it to Isak

Was quite shocked how disjointed we looked in the first 20 minutes, with a lot of the international lads looking understandably less than sharp.

That said, we do tend to struggle against teams that play five at the back. The extra man makes them harder to press.

Hard to judge anything based on 20-odd minutes in the first game of the season. 

Southamptons passing style makes them look good but I’m sure we knew that would happen and weren’t overly worried by it. 

Without the red we would’ve probably got a 2 or 3 goal win eventually. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Alarmed by the lack of Ando and Razor on the highlights, hope that's not a permanent shift. Especially not for that ear-bleedingly shrill Ian bloke.

Fantastic to get the win. Red card was extremely harsh. Noise was fantastic when the goal went in; love it when you get joy mixed with vindication - it's almost a different kind of roar.

Southampton managed fucked it big time with his HT sub, KWP was their best player first half and then they swapped it so they had their dribbling wide man against Tino who is excellent one on one instead of against Hall who is not.  KWP also faded and was eventually hooked for a small boy who was scared to cross.

Le Tissier chipred in with his take on this and how its molemen controlling laser beams from outspace that made their GK misskick the ball yet?

Just now, OCK said:

Le Tissier chipred in with his take on this and how its molemen controlling laser beams from outspace that made their GK misskick the ball yet?

He’s round Rickie Lamberts trying to work out whether the #39 is indeed part of a satanic Brazilian ritual being peddled by the WHO. 

Just now, Disco said:

He’s round Rickie Lamberts trying to work out whether the #39 is indeed part of a satanic Brazilian ritual being peddled by the WHO. 

Never did like the Kaiser Chiefs

Pope - Was really dominating and gave confidence and security to our back four. Great to have him back, raises the bar significantly

Livramento - Excellent defensively, i don't think he was beaten at all the whole game. Made some good attacking runs but doesn't contribute as much as we are used to with tripps.

Schar- really stupid schoolboy error, you just cannot react!

Krafty- Really secure and some decent passes, not worried if he has to step in for a couple of games.

Burn- very dominant and aggressive, loved him yesterday and loved that he was in their faces with the amount of shithousin they were doing.

Hall- had a bad game, too many loose passes and they targetted him as our weak point and it worked for them. Time will tell...

Longstaff- 9 out of ten game for him. He is not a creative outlet but he covers ground and does the dirty work really well. Had a great game and was very ordered.

When (if) Tonali eventually gets back in he will be superb back up!

Joe - Beast. They got beasted all game! What a feckin man to have on your side!

Man love!!!!

Bruno- Took a while for him to get in the game and made a few slack passes/was caught in possession in 1st half. Redeemed himself completely in 2nd half with a monsta display!

Gordon- bit out of sorts but did the hard yards to be fair to him. Has had less preseason than the others...

Murphy- not really his fault but he didn't see much of the ball as we didn't have much of it. Defended ok. Decent game tbf.

Isak- class but ran out of steam after 60/70 mins. Didn't get much supply either.

Subs: Kelly was excellent and really snubbed their attacks down his side. You could see him talking and organising the back line, would have him on at left back from the start next game.

Barnes- not a great deal from him, had one chamce and mis-controlled it, on another day he would have perhaps taken it.

They played quite well I thought and had the confidence to play out and around our press. They had a game plan to pull shirts, foul at any minute we began to counter and the pri#k Pawson aided and abetted this!

Thought we were too soft compared to their niggly/shithousery. We need to get back to being nasty!!

11 hours ago, Disco said:

It’s the most nowt place you could ever hope to visit n all. Their club is the perfect representation of the city. 

#AnnounceLink

Agree with this. Been thrice and have no memory of anything there beyond the pissden tunnel on the way to the ground