AFC Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (25/08/24)

BlueStar

I've just looked at Whoscored and Bournemouth led the league last season for fouls committed. About thirty more than the next worst team. Despite our rep for "shithousing", we were fourth fewest.

We came away with a point and its a good point, but I don't think we set up properly for this. In a niggly game, I would play Trippier, our most experienced player. We ended up with 10 men last week due to dark arts by Southampton too.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

When Schar and Botman are out, our defence look really uncomfortable on the ball. Add in Joelinton and Longstaff in midfield and we look poor in possession.

Add that then we're forced back to Pope more than usual who puts the shits up through rest of team constantly with the ball at his feet.

Just now, ElDiablo said:

Add that then we're forced back to Pope more than usual who puts the shits up through rest of team constantly with the ball at his feet.

Yep. I love Pope as a ‘keeper’. But it was noticeable how often we played back to

him today and I thought he was even more ropey than usual. 

The problem with Murphy is that he is so defensive. He dropped very often to almost a fullback. It is good when we need that, but now when we were on the counter, it was 2v3 at best.

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Longstaff, Murphy (and Almiron) stick out like sore thumbs. It doesn’t help when the other lads were stinking the place out too.

It's so frustrating because their poor play emboldens the opposition and at the same time unsettles their team mates.

It's a terrible mix and it is ruining all aspects of our play.

Eddie has to be braver, start Gordon right, Barnes left, drop Longstaff. Willock made such a difference to the shape of the game.

We’ve got Tonali back, it’ll be interesting to see how we line up long term. Tonali and Willock should be the options with Longstaff warming the bench. 

Today also showed that Tripps still has a part to play. 

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Yep. I love Pope as a ‘keeper’. But it was noticeable how often we played back to

him today and I thought he was even more ropey than usual. 

His kicking is insanely bad for a professional footballer. But at least we don't concede any time someone shoots at our goal like we do with Dubravka.

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

When Schar and Botman are out, our defence look really uncomfortable on the ball. Add in Joelinton and Longstaff in midfield and we look poor in possession.

Cuh I'd like to see how a CB who's really good in possession solves that!!

I thought today we were a bit like a COVID DIY haircut. You rub your hand over your head the day after and find tufts and bits missing. Anyway, that's what it felt like for me. 

If we'd had those sorts of options from the bench for the majority of last season I think we'd have finished top 4.

We'd have been able to turn games like Bournemouth and Luton from defeats to draws, draws to wins when we weren't playing well, but for half a season we just didn't have the options. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Massive positives from the first two are the character shown and being unbeaten. Praying we can get a signing or two in.

This is where i'm at. I can't pretend to be particularly impressed with our play through two games but unbeaten so far and you know we're just getting started and will only get better as we get games in our legs. Glass half full time.

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Eddie has to be braver, start Gordon right, Barnes left, drop Longstaff. Willock made such a difference to the shape of the game.

We’ve got Tonali back, it’ll be interesting to see how we line up long term. Tonali and Willock should be the options with Longstaff warming the bench. 

Today also showed that Tripps still has a part to play. 

Clearly still the best full back we’ve got

13 minutes ago, bealios said:

Meh. Defence looked flaky - but with 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice CB out, can’t be too harsh.

Thought Tino and Kelly were poor, better with Hall and Tripps - although appreciate Hall was poor last week.

Despite the goal, thought Gordon was average - alright, but he could do with a rest. 

Tonali for Longstaff will make a huge difference. Didn’t think Murphy was that bad to be honest - he’s rarely going to be the best player on the pitch; but equally far from the worst.

Bruno/Isak still looked class in my eyes, and Joey Linton just had one to forget. 

Also encouraging that our bench options with Willock and Barnes looked good.

Think we’re looking like a decent top 6 side after two games - that’s the difference between top 6 and top 4 - top 4 look good most of the time - top 6 can look pretty poor at times - see Chelsea last year: 

From the first two games we look anything but a top 6 team. Must improve.

bit disappointed we werent already 3-1 up before the arm of god.

but still a good point away to bournemouth.

4 points from forst 2 games.

Big Jow's poorest game for a while... gave away the ball for their goal, missed a decent headed opportynity, and almost a red.

Trippier may have had some poor games by his standards but you could see the difference he makes to this side with his experience. Good to see Willock back and once we get To Ali back that will hopefully limit the time on the pitch for Longstaffe and Murphy

Today reminded me of watching us under Bruce. No urgency, no real patterns of play, horrible defensive shape, second to every 50/50 and relying on individual brilliance to drag us out of trouble.

Horrible. Hopefully we improve quickly.

Very poor for the most part. If you want to be at the right end of the league, you can’t be carrying so many average/poor players by PL standard. Longstaff, Murphy, Kelly and the CBs. All should, and hopefully will be soon, on the fringes of the squad. There’s no excuse not to play both Gordon and Barnes.