Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur (01/09/24) | Reaction: pg 48 | Goal posts: OP

Yorkie

3 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

DJ Onedeck was much better than usual

Playing some acceptable tunes via that new “submit your match anthem” thing:  Fender, Lindisfarne, Journey (not my cup of tea, but a crowd pleaser)

Rattled through the half time birthdays, rather than dragging it out for ages

Primal Scream at full time cos we won

No DJ Fucking Otzi

For once I didn’t want to cut off my own ears with a rusty spoon

Agree with this. Shame about the Scousers before and after the match. Shite that. 

1 hour ago, Pixelphish said:

I always think back to the Swansea game under The King. At least we won the passing etc.

Not quite the same but you get my point. We weren't brutalised like most are making out.

This was more 'but we won the shots taken' :lol:

Having watched the highlights published by both Newcastle and Spurs i have to say that i changed my opinion. We deserved to win. Other than shots that were easy keeper food(even the one they scored at) they only had one decent chance, while we had several and should have had a penalty.

Lots of things to improve ofcourse, but also lots to take with us going forward with being very solid at the back and efficient in attacking.

Edited by Displayname

It is a huge testament to the defensive coaching that we’re keeping teams out with our current back four. Tino is class, Krafth doesn’t have a lot of experience there and it’s not his natural position, he also doesn’t have much pace. Burn has the experience but it’s different being the main man in defence. Kelly and Hall are both either new or very much in development. Our defensive shape was excellent a lot of the time at the weekend 

I’ve seen Burn visibly out sprint Awoniyi and Kulusevski this season. Ok these might not be quick players but Big Dan seems to have gotten faster over the summer.

8 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It is a huge testament to the defensive coaching that we’re keeping teams out with our current back four. Tino is class, Krafth doesn’t have a lot of experience there and it’s not his natural position, he also doesn’t have much pace. Burn has the experience but it’s different being the main man in defence. Kelly and Hall are both either new or very much in development. Our defensive shape was excellent a lot of the time at the weekend 

Completely agree, and despite talk of spurs being all over us, their only chances came from lucky deflections. They didn’t create a clear cut chance all game.

5 hours ago, Displayname said:

Having watched the highlights published by both Newcastle and Spurs i have to say that i changed my opinion. We deserved to win. Other than shots that were easy keeper food(even the one they scored at) they only had one decent chance, while we had several and should have had a penalty.

Lots of things to improve ofcourse, but also lots to take with us going forward with being very solid at the back and efficient in attacking.

Completely agree with this having rewatched a couple of times, particularly the 30 mins sky highlights. If it wasn’t for Nick Pope’s shovelly Joe performance then I think we would have run out comfortable winners in the end. 

16 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

They "won the passing"

Decent article at the Athletic about Joelinton's role in the win.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5739125/2024/09/02/joelinton-newcastle-tottenham-premier-league/?source=user_shared_article

That was an interesting article. Thank you for posting. It goes some way to explaining how we only conceded one goal, despite a makeshift back four. 

Joelinton's physical fitness, for a big man, is phenomenal. I can remember a couple of years ago, it emerged how hard he was working on this aspect of his game, privately as well as at the club. He was determined not to be the failure that we all that was his fate at one stage.

I only saw the highlights but I don't see any dominance from Spurs. I see them having a few speculative long range efforts, one of which a calamity of errors by Pope and Burn saw them get a goal. On the other hand we kept exploiting their stupid high line with very simple balls in behind. Spurs simply can't defend.

I guess for a lot of people the most memorable part of the game was the most negative part, where we made loads of mistakes and nearly fell apart. But the whole game wasn’t like that. 

It could’ve gone to either team really, but nobody can have complaints about us winning. We played some better stuff in spells. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

10 minutes ago, Cronky said:
30 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

They "won the passing"

Decent article at the Athletic about Joelinton's role in the win.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5739125/2024/09/02/joelinton-newcastle-tottenham-premier-league/?source=user_shared_article

That was an interesting article. Thank you for posting. It goes some way to explaining how we only conceded one goal, despite a makeshift back four. 

Joelinton's physical fitness, for a big man, is phenomenal. I can remember a couple of years ago, it emerged how hard he was working on this aspect of his game, privately as well as at the club. He was determined not to be the failure that we all that was his fate at one stage.

Yeah that's a really good write-up. It hadn't dawned on me; the similarity with the gameplan last season. It was Anderson dropping into the LWB position back in April. 

Joelinton is such a big player for us. For all he didn't catch the eye, there's probably a fair argument that we don't win the game without him on Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, The Fountain said:

Apparently we only won because we had better strikers and better defenders.

You have to hate when you win because you have better players.

Also if a defence that has Krafth at CB is better than your defence and you're supposedly challenging for Europe :lol: 

30 minutes ago, Smal said:

I’ve seen Burn visibly out sprint Awoniyi and Kulusevski this season. Ok these might not be quick players but Big Dan seems to have gotten faster over the summer.

Streamlined now he's moved away from an NHS haircut.

But on a serious note, I don't recall him looking particularly "slow" at any point last season until after he came back from his injury and clearly wasn't 100%, even before then it was only very early on in games where I recall him getting skinned once or twice but once he'd sussed out how much time and space he needed he was immense. Presume everyone has also had the same analysis and we've supposedly done on Tonali to unlock an extra half a yard.

MSM are amazing……when Man U, Liverpool Arsenal etc aren’t playing well yet pick up points in games ‘it’s the mark of top 4/title contenders’ When we do it it’s unsustainable, and we’ll drop off sooner or later. Bunch of tossers most sports journo’s can’t see past the cartel teams.

On 02/09/2024 at 07:43, The Prophet said:

From the Athletic:

More worryingly, Newcastle’s passing accuracy is a lowly 74.3 per cent — the worst in the division. In the opposition half, it is just 65.6 per cent, better only than Everton’s 65.2. Against Tottenham, both figures were even lower, at 71.3 per cent and 60.8 per cent respectively.

Their attempted passes total of 930 is the lowest in the Premier League this season. Same for the 691 passes they have completed.

Without labouring the point it's the biggest area of improvement for me. Particularly with a few away games coming up. 

I wonder whether playing without Trippier and Schar has contributed towards this. We’ve been reliant on their out balls, and perhaps calming influence, to build our attacks and maintain possession for a couple of seasons. Are we still discovering, and thus far getting away with, a new system? 

I don't think pace is Burn's issue, it is more his acceleration which is why he sometimes gets exposed at LB in one on one situations. 

1 hour ago, Smal said:

He has tall person speed. Shit over 5-10 yards, but after that one stride is like 30 yards. 

38 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

You have to hate when you win because you have better players.

Also if a defence that has Krafth at CB is better than your defence and you're supposedly challenging for Europe :lol: 

I'm going to take a guess that the Spurs back 5 cost way more in wages and fees than ours did. 

Our strikers probably cost more now with Solanke out for them, but would think Son is twice as much as our highest earner. 

Tottenham fans who work for me, there's 4 of them, plus another who works within our department for someone else.

They're all moaning that injuries cost them the game, missing their fastest defender Van de Ven who Isak murdered for pace last season, and no Solanki.

You should see the indignation when I point out our defence had neither our first choice centre half's. Plus no Willock and Wilson as well.

I never really liked fishing, but today I'm like Robert Shaw in Jaws [emoji38]  This lot are feckin cry babies, so bitter [emoji38]

12 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I'm going to take a guess that the Spurs back 5 cost way more in wages and fees than ours did. 

Our strikers probably cost more now with Solanke out for them, but would think Son is twice as much as our highest earner. 

Close to 120 million on Spurs back 4 on Sunday.