Dullard Punditry

Geordie_once_removed

Some TV coverage rumbles along OK, then they just reveal themselves to be clueless with one or two comments. 

Will need to change fairly soon, with all the online pundits talking in detail about systems, stats, tactics, knowing everything about every player in the world.

Then on TV you have people who grew up 20 years ago and just talk about getting it in the box. 

I guess the TV companies are either clueless themselves or they've judged that the fans don't really want intelligent analysis. 

20 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Some TV coverage rumbles along OK, then they just reveal themselves to be clueless with one or two comments. 

Will need to change fairly soon, with all the online pundits talking in detail about systems, stats, tactics, knowing everything about every player in the world.

Then on TV you have people who grew up 20 years ago and just talk about getting it in the box. 

I guess the TV companies are either clueless themselves or they've judged that the fans don't really want intelligent analysis. 

I’d rather there be less punditry and discussion personally. Too much waffle before during and after the game :lol:

Was trying to think who I'd like on co commentary during the match.

It's a shame more decent managers don't do it - Bobby Robson would have been good value, I reckon. Mourinho also, Benitez too. Alex Ferguson might have been a laugh to hear from as well. 

I'm pretty well over McCoist at this point like. Him and Darren Fletcher are pure headache fuel. 

That said, I have come around to Fletcher a bit. Seems to know his onions. Just rarely shuts up.

Just now, Miggys First Goal said:

I wish Sky and TNT offered the same as Amazon and allowed you to turn off the commentary and just have the stadium sounds on. 

Sky used to. Like most their innovations over the years they seem to of ditched them. Player cam. Fan coms etc.

I think most pundits are quite poor these days outside of Carragher*. Neville, whilst brilliant when he started, has regressed as a pundit imo; his knowledge outside of the 'big 6' is really, really poor. Has probably just got far too much shit on with Salford, the Overlap, property, his other companies etc to do actual research ahead of games which you can tell Carragher clearly does. Richards offers zero insight and Keane is just there for the "CLASSIC: Keane reaction to ice baths!!!" content. 

The TNT lot, whilst I despise their 12.30 kick off time slot, I'm just meh towards. Able to just zone out and don't listen to them really. 

*He was a bit naff on co-comms on Sunday and he can be a bit nauseating not just with the accent but when he's on commentary or just games involving Liverpool. Away from things that concern LFC he's by far and away the best pundit. Quite clear why Sky wanted to keep him after the spitting incident.

Garth was a laugh. Not taking criticism of Garth. 

3 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Touched on it before but the general pig ignorance of Redknapp and Neville on clubs outside of the Cartel 6 is staggering. The “All With Smiling Faces” lads were hammering Redknapp for his comments on Schar shooting from outside the box. Something along the lines of “Newcastle fans would never have been shouting for Schar to have a shot”.

Obviously didn’t catch the Burnley, Forest, PSG and other goals as part of his no doubt extensive research pre-game.

Aye this is my biggest pet peeve. Especially Neville he used to be the best. 

They don’t know anything about our team. Schar is one of our biggest offensive weapons.  Set pieces, long rangers, playmaking, that long ball over the top to the LW in behind etc. 

2 hours ago, jack j said:

Rio Ferdinand just talks utter shit

The championship mob when we were last down used to do me in

Minto hinchcliffe and goodman. All 3 hated us

don’t mind Rio too. I don’t mind anyone that doesn’t mind having a bit of a laugh.  

It’s the ones that want to be serious but don’t know very much like Mills and Neville that get on my nerves. 

2 hours ago, NG32 said:

Who is the new main sky commentator, he is a pain the arse. 

Also, not really punditry but the men on Sky Sports News all dressed in casual clothes, it looks awful and seems "forced" trying to fit with lad culture.  Some of their clothes look like they were bought for them and they look uncomfortable wearing them.

This is a bit of a moan re: modern culture though? Most professionals wear casual clothes now including football managers. Middle aged men wearing suits to cover football does feel a bit archaic to watch.  

Just now, gbandit said:

I was going to give you a like TCD but that comment about Rio has done for you 

Rio’s a plonker but he doesn’t carry the annoying cynicism and can have a laugh. 

My biggest pet peeve is always getting someone that played for a team as a pundit. Joleon Lescott played for Man City - who cares. He’s not a good pundit and he didn’t even play for them a long time.  
I think Sir Les could add a lot of value to punditry with his experience as a DoF but don’t just bring him in because Spurs and Newcastle are playing. 

4 minutes ago, toon25 said:

There's something gone on with Merson, like. From being a complete joke on soccer Saturday to now getting prime gigs.

He's got to be filling some sort of quota

Recovering alcoholic/drug/gambling addict.

There'd be outrage if he got sacked now and he got back on it

Edited by jack j

Rarely I watch pre or post match build up, partly because "there's enough bloody football on in this house without having to listen to dickheads talk about it" and because I am not that bothered with it anymore. If Howe is speaking fairly shortly after a win I will stay tuned in. 

4 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Andy Hinchcliffe. Cunt. 

This. Worst co-commentator by a mile. Always sounds really pompous and arrogant about everything. Whilst having the benefit of hindsight to tell everyone what the player should have been doing. 

Ruins every game he is on. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Garth was a laugh. Not taking criticism of Garth. 

Aye this is my biggest pet peeve. Especially Neville he used to be the best. 

They don’t know anything about our team. Schar is one of our biggest offensive weapons.  Set pieces, long rangers, playmaking, that long ball over the top to the LW in behind etc. 

don’t mind Rio too. I don’t mind anyone that doesn’t mind having a bit of a laugh.  

It’s the ones that want to be serious but don’t know very much like Mills and Neville that get on my nerves. 

This is a bit of a moan re: modern culture though? Most professionals wear casual clothes now including football managers. Middle aged men wearing suits to cover football does feel a bit archaic to watch.  

You dont have to wear a suit but looking like your about to jump on a flight to benners with the lads seems a bit weird to me. 

1 hour ago, jack j said:

Recovering alcoholic/drug/gambling addict.

There'd be outrage if he got sacked now and he got back on it

This.

He’s probably very cheap also.

Anyone watching Milan vs Liverpool tonight, you'll have the great Jon Champion as lead commentator along with..................

Alan Shearer. Shearer splits opinions on here so let's see how ut goes tonight.

Edited by nufcjb

The modern standard is dire mind.

Wish they were a bit more dull and less hyperbolic, blowing with the wind and no better than listening to any radge you're sitting next to at any given match.

Dull as he is/was and as awkward and dull as he was on Match of the Day in the 90s, even Lineker when I hear him now, was good as a co-comms unless its by today's standards.