January Transfer Window thread attempt 3

Syrette

Collins John would be a decent signing, quick and strong, not really the kind of hold up striker that we need, more akin to Darren Bent.. but would work with Martins IMO.

Not sure he would be content with sitting on the bench when Owen is back though and we will surely sign a bigger stronger hold up player like viduka that would take his place.

More likely to end up at Watford where he can be king of the castle.

Denied by Oliver in August - maybe we've changed our minds.

Toon chief's dual mission

Aug 16 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United's top brass Freddy Shepherd and Glenn Roeder flew to Dublin today on a double mission.

The United pair are going to Lansdowne Road to watch Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt in Holland's friendly with the Republic of Ireland.

And United have chartered their own 10-seater plane so that they can bring Irish pair Stephen Carr and Alan O'Brien straight back to Tyneside after the game.

United are hoping the first part of their mission is not in vain, as they wait to see whether Dutch coach Marco van Basten plays Kuyt in his starting line-up.

Before leaving Newcastle airport at 9am this morning Shepherd told me: "Originally we had four players - Shay Given, Stephen Carr, Damien Duff and Alan O'Brien - in Dublin tonight and we made arrangements to take our own plane across and bring them home which, in the current situation, seems to be the best thing to do.

"And while Shay and Damien are back at our training ground for treatment, we have gone ahead with our original plan so that Stephen and Alan will be with the first-team squad tomorrow."

Both Shepherd and Roeder have admitted how hard they are finding it to bring in the quality player they want at St James' Park.

But they are not the only ones, with Middlesbrough having to give Sylvain Distin a weekly wage of £50,000 to take the former United central defender from Manchester City.

The latest of a never-ending list of strikers to be linked with United is Fulham's 20-year-old Collins John, but the Dutch-born player is not what Roeder is looking for.

Pompey linked with Taiwo swoop

It is claimed that Portsmouth are in talks to land Nigerian star Taye Taiwo.

The Marseille full-back is one of the most highly rated left sided talents in Le Championnat and it seems he is on Harry Redknapp's radar.

Redknapp has already admitted that a left sider was one of his top priorities during the January transfer window and Taiwo could be his main target.

The player's brother has claimed that Taiwo held talks with Pompey last week.

"My brother went to London to discuss his possible move to Portsmouth," Waheed Taiwo told Nigerian Sports.

Taiwo was a target for Spanish giants Valencia last summer, so should Marseille agree to let him leave - Portsmouth are not likely to be the only interested party.

A good replacement for Babayaro, but looks like there would be a lot of competition for his signature. I would also take Collins John, he is being wasted by Fulham at the minute. I watched him against Chelsea and he caused problems for their defence with his hold up play.

PORTSMOUTH are lining up a £1.5million move for top Nigerian defender Taye Taiwo.

Marseille left-back Taiwo, 21, had talks with Pompey boss Harry Redknapp last week.

Pompey’s Nigerian striker Kanu recommended his national team-mate to Redknapp.

Taiwo’s elder brother Waheed confirmed: “My brother went to London to discuss his possible move to Portsmouth.”

From the sun but for that price lets get in there! Come on Oba have a word  :thup:

Weren't we linked with him a while back? 1,5 million seems a very reasonable price for such a huge talent and it's for one of our problem positions too..

Pah, let Pompey have him and take Taylor for £4m.

PORTSMOUTH are lining up a £1.5million move for top Nigerian defender Taye Taiwo.

Marseille left-back Taiwo, 21, had talks with Pompey boss Harry Redknapp last week.

Pompey’s Nigerian striker Kanu recommended his national team-mate to Redknapp.

Taiwo’s elder brother Waheed confirmed: “My brother went to London to discuss his possible move to Portsmouth.”

From the sun but for that price lets get in there! Come on Oba have a word  :thup:

Weren't we linked with him a while back? 1,5 million seems a very reasonable price for such a huge talent and it's for one of our problem positions too..

Pah, let Pompey have him and take Taylor for £4m.

He plays on the wing for them now, and is first choice.

Despite his problems I would still be quote happy with John.

Quote happy?  :lol:

I rate him. Would like him here, particularly as it doesn't look like he'd be too expensive.

Between THAT thread and me working for THAT company its got to me :lol:

What about Werder Bremen’s Ribas, "Diego"?  21 nearly 22 and a great little player, I know another midfielder but I can see the sale of Emre coming sooner or later and this Brazilian is just what we could do with. Loads of flair and pace will create so much more than any players we have.

Guest Bellers

What about Werder Bremen’s Ribas, "Diego"?  21 nearly 22 and a great little player, I know another midfielder but I can see the sale of Emre coming sooner or later and this Brazilian is just what we could do with. Loads of flair and pace will create so much more than any players we have.

You were saying Bale was an unrealistic target, well we're probably twice as likely to get Bale...

Diego pulls the strings behind the Werder Breman attack, he's a vital part of their team. I seriously doubt he'd be available and even if he was europe's top clubs would be queing up to land him...

He's a good player, but a expensive one i would believe....Not our priority atm going for a AM (But if emre left as u said)

He's a good player, but a expensive one i would believe....Not our priority atm going for a AM (But if emre left as u said)

I was just jumping on the pick a player bandwagon :D he would be my first chocie of any attacking midfelder we looked at, such a class act and will end up leaving them soon enough along with Klose.

I was just jumping on the pick a player bandwagon :D he would be my first chocie of any attacking midfelder we looked at, such a class act and will end up leaving them soon enough along with Klose.

would be amazed if he ever comes to Prem, looks ideal for La Liga.

I'm guessing you guys have seen this http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=439393&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Magpies+to+join+SWP+hunt

possible link with chris riggot at the bottom, he any good? hes about 26... :confused:

still don't know why milner is always linked with swap moves away from us, hes a vital member of the team now and we can't afford to get rid of players like him, we need quality numbers

Guest nufc 4 life

here's the article link:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=439373&CPID=100&clid=4&lid=&title=AaB+confirm+Wurtz+interest

AaB have confirmed that star midfielder Rasmus Wurtz is attracting attention from clubs across Europe.

The 23-year-old is widely regarded as one of the best players in the Danish Superligaen.

AaB have so far been able to resist the advances of a number of clubs, but with Wurtz's current deal fast running out, they are set to cash in during the transfer window.

Premiership side Newcastle United have been linked with Wurtz in the past, as have Marseille and Borussia Monchengladbach.

AaB sporting director Lynge Jacobsen has confirmed approaches from clubs in recent weeks, but insists any deal is far from being concluded.

"The interest for Rasmus has increased substantially over the last few weeks," confirmed Jacobsen to BT.

"But let me point out that it is only enquiries right now, we have not entered into negotiations."

If we can get him cheap then he would be a good player for us especially if emre is to leave

Not sure if anyone has seen this already but looks like Roeder is eyeing more loan deals... :(

"There are not a lot of quality players out there at the moment, but that does not mean we cannot find two or three players who will suit our needs," the former West Ham boss said.

"We have had Giuseppe Rossi on loan, but can still take another couple in this transfer window and that's what we may have to do.

"What I do not want to do is to sign players who we will be lumbered with for the next three and a half years.

"There is a saying in football that while you cannot hide good players, you cannot get rid of bad players and we want to avoid that."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=24009

They've only just bought him and they are really happy with him. Great prospect and v talented.