Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The weird trend of putting your arms behind your back when attempting to block a pass or shot.

It makes you less mobile and balanced and less likely to get a firm block on the ball. 

Blame VAR.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Blame VAR.

Happened pre-VAR. 

It’s also much easier to keep your arms in a natural position than try and defend holding them behind your back.

The amount of penalties given for handball in those situations is actually so slim too.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Swear it only started happening with such frequency when VAR started giving all those ridiculous handball pens.

Not the best source, but article here from 2015 talking about it:

https://zapsportz.com/defenders-hands-are-tied-these-days-but-they-shouldnt-be-behind-their-back-says-glenn-hoddle/

It’s improved in it’s frequency with VAR, but it’s gone on for years.

Just now, The Bard of Byker said:

Gerrard wearing a jumper over a shirt and tie. A sartorial horror.

He did that the other day and his jumper was basically see-through.

Totally unacceptable.

I'm taking a cabbage to throw at him on Tuesday.

On 03/05/2022 at 21:25, Yorkie said:

Swear it only started happening with such frequency when VAR started giving all those ridiculous handball pens.

Santon did it all the time. Used to frustrate me.

Can we all agree a nationwide fan amnesty on “your support is fucking shit” and “is this a library”?

So thick… every away support sings it to every home support and then has it sung to them in return. 

We get it, away fans are louder than home fans. 

"Is this a library?" could actually be a genuine question because they've all been closed and no one knows what they look like any more. I agree a football ground is an odd place to shout it en masse though. 

#brokenBritain

Managers spitting, there's just no need.  Wonder if they walk round the town with their wives, spitting as they go.  Don't understand it at all and seems to have just started in the last few seasons.

I know it's been said, but footballers apologizing on Instagram for losses. I get it Bruno, losing 5-0 to City sucks but c'mon. Losing wasn't that unexpected, we don't need the social media apology and promises of "we'll do better."

40 minutes ago, woody said:

I know it's been said, but footballers apologizing on Instagram for losses. I get it Bruno, losing 5-0 to City sucks but c'mon. Losing wasn't that unexpected, we don't need the social media apology and promises of "we'll do better."

Whats worse is people believing that its actually them writing the stuff

42 minutes ago, jack j said:

Whats worse is people believing that its actually them writing the stuff

Yeah. Even I have my own PR team responding to forum messages. Including this one, they wrote this.

And this.

And this. 

16 hours ago, number37 said:

"Is this a library?" could actually be a genuine question because they've all been closed and no one knows what they look like any more. I agree a football ground is an odd place to shout it en masse though. 

#brokenBritain

This deserves more love :lol: 

36 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

top knots and hair bands. Oh, and Grealish's half socks. 

I'm a big fan of the socks down look ala Chris Waddle.

Top knots and hair bands are shite though - there's a lad in my gym with quite short curtains and he wears a totally unnecessary shoe lace around his head - looks a total cunt!