Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

20 hours ago, Lazarus said:

When watching on TV and the ball is cleared into the air from a corner but from a certain angle you cant tell if the ball is heading into the net or out of play on the touchline.

Happens when watching from Level 7 as well. I've learned to quickly scan players reactions to see which direction the balls gone.

Edited by madras

20 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Was leaving the ground today and some random NUFC fan started a conversation with me completely randomly about modern football, and we both agreed how much we fucking hate VAR. 

Gone are the days where you see the ball hit the back of the net and when you see that the lino hasn’t got their flag up you can go wild celebrating. 

Totally agree overall. But yesterday being my first game in years, and therefore my first with VAR, I was really grateful that the goal was a strike from outside the box as felt like it was the kind of goal you could be almost sure. I didn't hesitate like I would where someone could be offside, or anything where it's lumped in the box and there could be a foul somewhere.

"He is human!"

We've been watching Messi and Ronaldo for the last 15 years, have watched the likes of Xavi and Iniesta misplace about one pass a decade and commentators have taken to saying this about footballers playing at the levels we're used to. Mo Salah and Kevin de Bruyne misplacing passes and missing the target isn't that surprising.

Edited by kisearch

Players wearing long sleeve underarmour with short sleeve playing shirts. It looks shit.

And if it is that cold, put a long sleeve shirt over the top of it.

Come to think of it, do long sleeve shirts even exist anymore?

Edited by TheGuv

44 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Players wearing long sleeve underarmour with short sleeve playing shirts. It looks shit.

Castore don't do one for the Toon - I searched high and low without success. 

3 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

Castore don't do one for the Toon - I searched high and low without success. 

Even the keeper top is short sleeve only. Doesn't sit right with me. Still think a keeper top should have built in elbow pads.

6 hours ago, Heron said:

Absolutely. Don't mind the club, just their fans are bell ends. 

Leaving aside the ideal that a club are their fans, that would make you a big fan of Sullivan and Gold? Or teams getting free stadia?

To be fair, I’m supposed to hate them.

3 minutes ago, kisearch said:

'keeper tops were so much better when the designers were given free reign to do what they wanted. They're all plain and boring now.

Sampdoria have actually fucked the keeper shirt off altogether this season. At home, their keeper wears the away shirt and vice versa.

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Sampdoria have actually fucked the keeper shirt off altogether this season. At home, their keeper wears the away shirt and vice versa.

Wouldn't surprise me if the bigger manufacturers were looking at doing something similar. Look at those Puma 3rd kit abominations to see where they're all going with it.

Edited by kisearch

8 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Leaving aside the ideal that a club are their fans, that would make you a big fan of Sullivan and Gold? Or teams getting free stadia?

To be fair, I’m supposed to hate them.

Ner, like I think moving their stadium was fairly shite but at the same time will probably allow them to grow. Don't know much about Sullivan and Gold other than that. When I think of West Ham though, I think of a half decent youth set up, fairly attacking football and a passionate fan base. I just think their fans fancy themselves as football hooligans the most out of the Premier League clubs and generally sing shit songs. 

9 minutes ago, kisearch said:

'keeper tops were so much better when the designers were given free reign to do what they wanted. They're all plain and boring now.

Better still when the keeper himself designed it - just ask Jorge Campos :lol:

3 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

Better still when the keeper himself designed it - just ask Jorge Campos :lol:

Campos was almost this mythical creature amongst my mates in the '90s. Back when we didn't have YouTube to check, I remember hearing something along the lines of 'nar man he's like 5ft 4 but he's that good that he's still the best goalkeeper in the world' :lol:

2 hours ago, Heron said:

Ner, like I think moving their stadium was fairly shite but at the same time will probably allow them to grow. Don't know much about Sullivan and Gold other than that. When I think of West Ham though, I think of a half decent youth set up, fairly attacking football and a passionate fan base. I just think their fans fancy themselves as football hooligans the most out of the Premier League clubs and generally sing shit songs. 

Unpopular opinion but based on numbers West Ham are the best London club outside of Arsenal. In my befuddled 92r mind they always brought a decent and loud contingent. Never minded them either aside from pink shirt mush and general Essex crack.

6 hours ago, Disco said:

Unpopular opinion but based on numbers West Ham are the best London club outside of Arsenal. In my befuddled 92r mind they always brought a decent and loud contingent. Never minded them either aside from pink shirt mush and general Essex crack.

See it's funny, I probably like Arsenal, Fulham and Palace the most from the London clubs but their fans (Arsenal and Fulham's) are the polar opposite of West Ham, nee bite and utter shite :lol:

10 hours ago, TheGuv said:

I really can't stand them either. They look at most 1% ok if it's a plan strip like Tottenham perhaps but for a striped strip like ours, nah. 

Ordinarily, long sleeve shirts don't exist any more, which is a crime but when Ronaldo signed for Man Utd this summer, by sheer coincidence Adidas introduced a long sleeved shirt for him, which is now worn by a few of his team mates. Player issue only though, as far as I'm aware - not that I hunt down Man Utd shirts.