Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

"Showed great character" - to win a header, tackle, score a goal - did it really!!? I think Jesus Christ has a great chracter but I doubt he'd beat a professional defender to get on the end of a through pass, round the keeper and have the composure to steady himself and finish past the man on the line.

Doesn't make him a sh*thead though.

4 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

people with no link to the place of the team that they support referring to the club as ‘we’ and ‘us’; like a Man Utd ‘fan’ from Truro constantly talking about ‘us’ and the listener naturally assuming they’re talking about Plymouth Argyle

It me :undecided:

4 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

Man U being called ‘United’

There’s a vid channel I watch (tifo?) that exclusively refers to them as Manchester UFC (or Man UFC for short). Don’t know why, but it warms my heart.

13 hours ago, number37 said:

Yeah, I think there's almost an unhealthy obsession over statistics at times. Antonio Conte was interviewed after Tottenham's game at the weekend and he was questioned about how he felt about only having 40% possession at home against a side like Norwich. He gave a very long, very diplomatic response when the executive summary was along the lines of him not really giving a shit, which is correct. 

Tottenham won 3-0.

Well no stat should ever be taken without context and understanding of what it might mean. That's more an example of a stupid question than the importance of any stats (if the questioner was implying that it was automatically bad or something). 

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well no stat should ever be taken without context and understanding of what it might mean. That's more an example of a stupid question than the importance of any stats (if the questioner was implying that it was automatically bad or something). 

Yes, that's very true! Post match interviews are hardly Frost/Nixon, the interviewers just say stuff to the managers and players. 

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid run ups to penalties (Jorginho)

The complete lack of two-footedness (with the ball)

Virtually all free kicks now being whipped/bent and not just wellied

Kids holding signs for shirts - It's not WWE

Pre-defined tweets and interviews that appear to be off champ man.

VAR

Shite refereeing

Lacl of respect for officials

Liverpools always the victim mentality

Etc. Etc. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

VAR

Shite refereeing

Lack of respect for officials

1 & 2 mean I'm absolutely behind 3, personally. There's no accountability and a huge air of arrogance surrounding most top level refs as they make wildly inconsistent and stupid decisions week after week. The only place they'll get shit (assuming they're sensible enough not to read twitter) is from fans in the stadium, players and managers - and I'd like to see more of it until they either get better or start taking accountability for the weekly farce - the one that's fucking us over every single week.

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

1 & 2 mean I'm absolutely behind 3, personally. There's no accountability and a huge air of arrogance surrounding most top level refs as they make wildly inconsistent and stupid decisions week after week. The only place they'll get shit (assuming they're sensible enough not to read twitter) is from fans in the stadium, players and managers - and I'd like to see more of it until they either get better or start taking accountability for the weekly farce - the one that's fucking us over every single week.

For me, rather than VAR (which of course had come about owing to the TVs influence) they should have set up a proper referee academy, had them playing the game ad well as refereeing and should have took a hard line stance against simulation and dissent. That would have prevented the lack of respect. Instead, they've undermined referees by allowing virtual referees (for love of a better term) to tell actual referees what they've dobe wrong, but whom don't want to do it because they don't want to highlight their pals' errors. Which has subsequently fucked any miniscule amount of respect for referees. It has also lent itself to increased simulation where offensive players buy fouls through minimal contact and they're given as a result rather than common sense prevailing.

In recent weeks, the Leicester and non-penalty vs Man City also suggest it lends itself to corruption. I'm surprised I'm even writing that tbh. 

Was leaving the ground today and some random NUFC fan started a conversation with me completely randomly about modern football, and we both agreed how much we fucking hate VAR. 

Gone are the days where you see the ball hit the back of the net and when you see that the lino hasn’t got their flag up you can go wild celebrating. 

57 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

When watching on TV and the ball is cleared into the air from a corner but from a certain angle you cant tell if the ball is heading into the net or out of play on the touchline.

Wow, how obscure :lol:

but a good one, and for a split second you get a brain fart as to what the fuck is happening.