St James' Park

Delima

Nothing will rip the heart out of this club. Mike Ashley spent 14 years attempting to and we fought him, we fought his appointments, we still backed the team near and far and the moment he left we celebrated like we'd won the league. 

30 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

It would need a support structure etc. behind the existing stand, there just isn't room for it, there would be columns in the middle of the road at least. The east stand already cantilevers out over the road a bit and is within touching distance of St. James Street (also listed).

It would be likely to need at least the end of St. James Street to be demolished, it would almost certainly be considered to have an unacceptable impact on the stetting of Leazes Terrace, even if it doesn't impact on it physically. Then there's the loss of light and overbearing impact on the flats in Leazes Terrace which would probably be unacceptable in planning terms. And there's also possible common law right to light issues (which scuppered Chelsea's stadium plans). It's a non-starter.

Does Leazes Terrace have to be kept as residential though ? The loss of light is only an issue if people are living there. If the club bought Leazes Terrace and came up with some crazy plan to incorporate it into the stadium that issue is surely resolved.

Edited by Whitley mag

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Does Leazes Terrace have to be kept as residential though ? The loss of light is only an issue if people are living there. If the club bought Leazes Terrace and came up with some crazy plan to incorporate it into the stadium that issue is surely resolved.

That's one set of issues, it wouldn't resolve the issues of impact on the listed buildings.

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

If they came up with some plan to incorporate it into the stadium it would be seen as altering or destroying the character of it and would need permission it would be highly unlikely to get.

3 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

That's one set of issues, it wouldn't resolve the issues of impact on the listed buildings.

I’m sure if they turned it into a club museum to house our incoming trophies, the majority of the city would turn a blind eye. 

Edited by Whitley mag

Not only that but getting a change of use for a grade 2 listed building is just as hard as trying to demolish it.

As for the stadium. I would prefer an expanded SJP or a rebuilt one.

If we were to move then the only realistic option is the Arena site, however the area around it would need a lot of work. The car garages, the housing and the area in general is a pretty shit end of town. On top of this there is no real bars or facilities on top of it until you get nearer Central station. Ok it’s not far but compared to SJP, there is a lot less around there.

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’m sure if they turned it into a club museum to house our incoming trophies, the majority of the city would turn a blind eye. 

It’s got fuck all to do with the city though. Heritage England are the ones who would decide, and they make their decisions from an office away from anywhere and without public opinion, be it local or National.

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Not only that but getting a change of use for a grade 2 listed building is just as hard as trying to demolish it.

As for the stadium. I would prefer an expanded SJP or a rebuilt one.

If we were to move then the only realistic option is the Arena site, however the area around it would need a lot of work. The car garages, the housing and the area in general is a pretty shit end of town. On top of this there is no real bars or facilities on top of it until you get nearer Central station. Ok it’s not far but compared to SJP, there is a lot less around there.

Grade 1 isn't it ?

7 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It’s got fuck all to do with the city though. Heritage England are the ones who would decide, and they make their decisions from an office away from anywhere and without public opinion, be it local or National.

Dear old Dolly Potter would be proud of that.

22 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I always call it the Eastern European stand.

Has a very brutalist grim look about it, just makes me think eastern european architecture. Love the juxtaposition of it alongside the modern glass and steel stands though.

Very nostalgic view of course, and wouldn't correct anyone who thinks it looks shit 

Close Barrack Road between Stanhope Street and Pitt Street except for access; remodel the Stanhope Street and St James Boulevard junctions to allow traffic along Wellington Street and Pitt Street; pivot the ground on Strawberry Corner to increase the distance between the terrace and eastern side of the ground utilising space claimed from Barrack Road. Improve the International Stadium for use in the construction period and gift it to Gateshead FC at the end

5 minutes ago, SteV said:

This may be an incredibly stupid/naive question, but - assuming money is no object, is it feasible to expand SJP downwards?

Would the Metro be an issue?

Once you get involved with the metro the costs would run into the hundreds of billions

39 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Technically Historic England wouldn't make the decision, Newcastle City Council would (unless it were called in by the Secretary of State), Historic England would only be consulted.

But, yes, never going to happen. Turning it Leazes Terrace into a club museum certainly would outweigh any impact. What's the benefit in heritage or any other terms of it being a museum? Why couldn't a club museum be in any other building?

I seem to have a very different viewpoint to many on this thread.

Let me state first that if there is one thing I love more than Newcastle United, it's the city of Newcastle upon Tyne. The city's heritage matters - even if you think our Listed Buildings and parks don't affect your life, they do....and your children and your children's children. I love my beautiful city and I'll be damned if anyone wants to level Leazes Park (the only central one) or Leazes Terrace....or, for that matter, Grey Street or The High Level Bridge. We've lost too much already (Handyside and Royal Arcades, King Charles House, Corn Exchange, etc). Enough.

I'm 55 and went to my first match in 1972/3. I'd embrace a move from St.James's Park - SO LING AS IT REMAINS IN THE CITY CENTRE.

If the site is still available (and I'm sure it could be), then I believe the Arena site is perfect. A stadium of about 75,000 would be ideal and fit this site snugly.

It could sit spectacularly overlooking The Tyne with landscaped access from the West Quayside and Scotswood Road. 

Infrastructure is excellent, being a short walk from Central Station. There is a disused rail viaduct that could be renovated for train/metro/pedestrian use.

There is plenty of brownfield/industrial/tertiary land available immediately westward. Possible training pitches, hospitality and community projects. Affordable homes, too.

Such investment in this area on the edge of the city centre would have enormous economic and social benefits to the inner west of the city. Transformational.

We need to embrace change that is to the enhancement, not detriment, of Newcastle.

I'm not averse to a Gallowgate extension and an improved stadium of, say, 58,000. I just believe that would simply be adequate, conservative, insubstantial. This club can do and be more - it can effect great positive change. I'd like to see the present stadium demolished and incorporated into an extended Leazes Park, while a new state-of-the-art stadium of 75,000 should be built a mile to the west.

I totally appreciate the argument, and it's even enticing to some extent, but just seeing the word 'demolish' in the same sentence as SJP makes me want to cry. :lol:

Imagine watching it being disassembled bit by bit before being ultimately flattened. A truly hideous vision imo. 

Thankfully I don't think it'll ever happen. 

I much prefer a SJP, Ewood Park or Craven Cottage over a Emirates Stadium, Olympic Stadium, Spurs’ ground.

To me it feels more like football sitting uncomfortably in a shit plastic seat with no legroom, rather than having a padded bum.

I also think atmospheres do suffer as a result. You’re more likely to attract the ‘prawn sandwich brigade’ if their backsides can be heated during the match.

Could I care less about all of the extra add ons you get a Tottenham? Not really. I go to the football to do exactly that, watch the match. 

Extend SJP to it’s max and we’ll live with it.

‘Best in class in all respects’

I’m really not sure that would include the stadium if we remain at St Jame’s. I actually think it’s inevitable we’ll move and build a new stadium and I’d support whatever decision they made.