St James' Park

Delima

2 hours ago, Mr Pups said:

makes you wonder what kind of chaos there will be if the east stand is eventually replaced/redeveloped 

They’ll just blame it on the immigrants, vote Tory, and praise Brexit.

13 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s been a lot longer than that tbf.  Season tickets from 93/94 were very, very expensive - especially in the NE still suffering the effects of Thatcherism. 

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Agree with this. Also, hindsight is a wonderful thing but, looking back, SJP should never have been made effectively 100% season ticket holders in the Keegan era.

93/94 was probably the best year for atmosphere I've experience. Apart from 92/93 the previous years the atmosphere was either toxic or non-existent most of the time.

The alternative to not making it all season ticket was to have thousands of people queuing for tickets overnight (as with the scramble for away tickets) and thousands in the end queuing for nothing, people from outside the city at a massive disadvantage. The same people complaining about season ticket only would be complaining about that.

40 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

93/94 was probably the best year for atmosphere I've experience. Apart from 92/93 the previous years the atmosphere was either toxic or non-existent most of the time.

The alternative to not making it all season ticket was to have thousands of people queuing for tickets overnight (as with the scramble for away tickets) and thousands in the end queuing for nothing, people from outside the city at a massive disadvantage. The same people complaining about season ticket only would be complaining about that.

True. But it would have been reasonable to leave something like 6/7000 seats as non-ST. To have league games as 100% ST holders was crackers. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

23 hours ago, TheGuv said:

It begins:

What Annoys is this crop of fans is thdy happily give it the "I used to stand I'm too old" but are too selfish to see it works both ways.

We should cater for all ages, kids, lads wanting to stand, elderly, disabled.

We could easily cater 6 standing just the moany fuckers who think they own that seat.

9 hours ago, Stifler said:

They’ll just blame it on the immigrants, vote Tory, and praise Brexit.

Immigration has increased under the Tories.

We actually had net 1 million come in 2022, which is the record.

I don't like Tories and think Brexit is incredibly flawed, just to clarify.

8 hours ago, Wandy said:

True. But it would have been reasonable to leave something like 6/7000 seats as non-ST. To have league games as 100% ST holders was crackers. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

Agree 100%. But the club just fell over themselves with the unprecedented demand. Remember the 10th of October 10 wins out of 10 v Tranmere in the KK promotion season - was circa 10,000 locked outside it was the last game that wasn’t all ticket. We paid on the door but we’re in the ground just after midday (I was 11 years old and went with my mates in the gallowgate corner - couldn’t imagine parents letting their kids do that nowadays!). 

2 hours ago, BoSelecta said:

My dad was saying the other day he used to get the bus or hitchhike from Berwick on his own at 11 to go to the match. ‘If I hitch hiked I could get some chips with the bus money’.

TBF when we used to play U12 sports against the lads from Berwick they already looked like fully grown men and most had beards.

So he could probably hitchhike without fear of being nonced.

On 28/03/2023 at 21:12, NUFC91 said:

What Annoys is this crop of fans is thdy happily give it the "I used to stand I'm too old" but are too selfish to see it works both ways.

We should cater for all ages, kids, lads wanting to stand, elderly, disabled.

We could easily cater 6 standing just the moany fuckers who think they own that seat.

Spot on, and this is a practical, demonstrable example of all seater stadiums having a negative impact on the atmosphere. Before the mid-90s when a fan got to the age they knew they wanted to sit down they'd have to leave the Leazes/Gallowgate (dependent on era) to do so. Thus the terraces were predominantly younger /middle aged folk who would be more inclined to be more boisterous.

As it stands (no pun intended) now there is no reason for the to move. If nothing is done or this trial isn't extended then the Gallowgate in 10 years will be like the East Stand that we like to gently rib about average age and lack of noise. 

4 hours ago, Exiled in Texas said:

After the West Ham game …. Cannot ever recommend white seats in a stadium ?

dont think david copperfield made anything disappear that quick. one minute fans, next minute poof white seats.

30 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

St. James’ Park is also expected to be on the list of selected stadiums. 

Stadium of Light expected to be placed on reserve list. 

Interesting that a non-football stadium is being considered; the as yet undeveloped Casement Park in Belfast, which is going to be for Gaelic football. Has a (8500 capacity) no-seats stand, which is cool. 

It’s good that Old Trafford isn’t being used. It’s always been a bit of a dump, but because it was one of the biggest grounds it always got games. It’s hosted Champions League finals, England games, cup semi’s etc all off the back of that.

It now has more local competition, and it is quite rightly being ruled out. The fact for European games some of the seats have to cordoned off speaks volumes about it’s ability to be a top level hosting venue.

2 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

2 things to takeaway from that.

1. We ain't moving anywhere soon.

2. Any redevelopment or upgrading of SJP will have to be known soon, the result of the bid is in October.

Aye I was just thinking that re the redevelopment of SJP. I’m no expert but for any new stand to be ready for 2028 you’d think it has to start construction by 2025 or so? Particularly given the supposed complexities that would be faced due to the Metro lines and road etc. 

Edited by Danh1

Honestly think there would be little inconvenience just closing St. James’ Metro station if it’s proving a logistical challenge on redevelopment.

It’s what? A 5 minute walk from Monument?

Edited by Sima

24 minutes ago, Sima said:

Honestly think there would be little inconvenience just closing St. James’ Metro station if it’s proving a logistical challenge on redevelopment.

It’s what? A 5 minute walk from Monument?

Might have problems with trains being able to change sides.

29 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Might have problems with trains being able to change sides.

Could they just shut it to the public but still have trains run through it to make the necessary track adjustments?