St James' Park

Delima

Guest neesy111

From one of the classiest clubs in the land .. to the tackiest in just 10 years. :(

Think you might be exaggerating how bad our sponsors are compared to everyone else's. I hate Sports Direct as well like, but that's a bit OTT.

No its not.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/manorpark_photos/Newcastle%204/NewcastleUnitedGatesInstalledwithMcKeag-13Dec1989_zps20952365.jpg

Interesting

The original gates were much better than the shit ones McKeag put up.  I remember the original gates well as I was almost crushed against them when we had to queue up for tickets overnight in the 70's for cup tickets.

http://www.themag.co.uk/assets/St_James_Park_NUFC_031.jpg

Can't say they look any better, looks like the entrance of Auschwitz.

Those gates were at the Gallowgate end of the Milburn. The gates mentioned today are the main gates level with the Leazes on Barrack Road.

They may not be that historical, but to be fair they look pretty good.

Imagine SD logos on them. :anguish:

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/manorpark_photos/Newcastle%204/NewcastleUnitedGatesInstalledwithMcKeag-13Dec1989_zps20952365.jpg

Interesting

Thanks for posting my newspaper cutting from 1989.

This proves (what we all knew anyway) that the gates (said to be "there for decades") were only there for a few years, certainly less then ten!

Yeah i nicked it off scraper city :thup:

Very interesting thread on NUFC that you regularly post in. Keep posting here too! :rose:

Guest thenorthumbrian

The gates are nice enough, I am not sure that people were losing sleep when they weren't there, it was never a massive topic of conversation among United fans I know. And I am not sure why they need to blessed, they are just gates.

They aren't the same ones, the ones in this picture were on the corner of Strawberry Place and Barrack Road.  The ones which are being brought back were just off Barrack Road and roughly where the road is now where you get into the car parks at the back of the Leazes.

You went through the gates to get to the Leazes and West Stand turnstiles, we also had a club shop, a small car park and ticket office on the right as soon as you got through the gates and I think the managers office was next to those.

They aren't the same ones, the ones in this picture were on the corner of Strawberry Place and Barrack Road.  The ones which are being brought back were just off Barrack Road and roughly where the road is now where you get into the car parks at the back of the Leazes.

You went through the gates to get to the Leazes and West Stand turnstiles, we also had a club shop, a small car park and ticket office on the right as soon as you got through the gates and I think the managers office was next to those.

Yes, the quoted 1989 Newspaper Article (McKeag & co) mentions in the final sentence . . . "Work will start soon on the replacement of the gates at the Gallowgate entrance to the ground".

I actually can't remember them being there, but I assume they were exactly the same as those at the Strawberry Place entrance (that I always used).

So, it is THOSE gates that were on Gallowgate (ie, near the 'Leazes End') and NOT those at the . . er . . "Gallowgate End" of the ground (confusing!) on Strawberry Place in the newspaper article, that were taken to Woolsington Hall and are now coming back?

So, they were even 'newer' than the ones in the 1989 newspaper article!

Interesting

Thanks for posting my newspaper cutting from 1989.

This proves (what we all knew anyway) that the gates (said to be "there for decades") were only there for a few years, certainly less then ten!

Yeah i nicked it off scraper city :thup:

Very interesting thread on NUFC that you regularly post in. Keep posting here too! :rose:

Glad you like it, I'll try and post here more often. Used to, a few years back!!

I remember the club shop before that which was straight ahead of where those gates would be. It was only about 10m wide.

Yes, the quoted 1989 Newspaper Article (McKeag & co) mentions in the final sentence . . . "Work will start soon on the replacement of the gates at the Gallowgate entrance to the ground".

I actually can't remember them being there, but I assume they were exactly the same as those at the Strawberry Place entrance (that I always used).

So, it is THOSE gates that were on Gallowgate (ie, near the 'Leazes End') and NOT those at the . . er . . "Gallowgate End" of the ground (confusing!) on Strawberry Place in the newspaper article, that were taken to Woolsington Hall and are now coming back?

So, they were even 'newer' than the ones in the 1989 newspaper article!

That photograph is 100% Barrack Road, you can still see the old Leazes wall on the left and the car park was behind that.  You can also see a stand behind the gate on the right, if that was the Gallowgate you would have seen the roof of the Milburn with a slope and you would have seen the flat end of the milburn.

I remember the club shop before that which was straight ahead of where those gates would be. It was only about 10m wide.

The club shop must have brought in next to nothing in those days, I think we had two, that one and the one at the Haymarket which was even smaller.

Guest Slippery Sam

The club shop must have brought in next to nothing in those days, I think we had two, that one and the one at the Haymarket which was even smaller.

Wasn't the shop in the Haymarket independent??

Those new 'old' (McKeag) gates were 100% on Barrack Road.

Wasn't the shop in the Haymarket independent??

Those new 'old' (McKeag) gates were 100% on Barrack Road.

I think it was the Supporters's Club shop at the Haymarket.

You're probably right, I seem to remember going to that one to book away travel. Did you just go to a counter which had everything behind it?

Someone who is on another forum (SSC) has redone a model of SJP to remove the advertising, it has also been logged to Google so you should see Google earth and maps updated within the next week or so.

Guest Slippery Sam

You're probably right, I seem to remember going to that one to book away travel. Did you just go to a counter which had everything behind it?

The main counter was on the left of the door and the place was indeed full of stuff (the shop window as well).

EDIT: There's a photo of the outside on the first page of Google images.