St James' Park

Delima

6 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

The ghosts of the corner, they say YES!! B42E5A69-4F5D-476C-8BA3-E38712BCC4A2.thumb.jpeg.d3202da93b485fd04d818512b34d9fa1.jpeg 

I don’t know if it’s just me but as somebody too young to have experienced a real terrace like that, they look fucking horrible. 

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, Jordan said:

How much could that increase capacity?

By a few hundreds of billions I’d imagine.

9 hours ago, Nun tumblers said:

Dobson built old Eldon Square before dickie grainger fucked us  .

Then the council smashed it to smithereens for that dreadfull monstrosity that sits aroond hippy green,Funnily enough freinds of a rundown dump with a few thick as mince mallards never said a dickies

?? Can't make head or tail of this. When did Dickie Grainger fuck you? What is the run down dump? Who are the mallards and dickies - did you see them in Leazes Park?

14 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

They were absolutely terrifying at times. The number of times I thought I was a goner, ribs squashed against concrete barrier.

Loved it.

The whole era was scary, dangerous and exhilarating. Probably the scariest I have seen was Spurs away in the FA cup in 87. If there had not been an empty corner pen to put excess NUFC fans in then we could have been talking a Hillsborough situation before Hillsborough even happened.

Away games were scary as owt too. Running the gauntlet when walking to the stadiums via fields and back alleys. I was never remotely a hooligan but got caught in the crossfire on a fair few occasions. It was all part of the "thrill" though.

6 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

I just can’t believe people were happy to be crushed up next to each other like that. It’s an aspect of football culture I have never understood. 

Weirdest thing is at my first two away games - mackems 91 and Derby 92 I seen about 3% of the game and absolutely loved it.

The perspective then wasn't about a day out or entertainment just support really

Edited by Wolfcastle

6 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

I just can’t believe people were happy to be crushed up next to each other like that. It’s an aspect of football culture I have never understood. 

Atmospheres in stadiums in the modern game in the UK are still based heavily on 1980s terrace culture. It probably does seem crazy to someone who has never experienced it but, believe me, it was brilliant.

Just now, Wandy said:

Atmospheres in stadiums in the modern game in the UK are still based heavily on 1980s terrace culture. It probably does seem crazy to someone who has never experienced it but, believe me, it was brilliant.

Absolutely. But I don’t think I would have stood on terraces like that. I suppose I’m haunted by the pictures of you know what. 

2 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Weirdest thing is at my first two away games - mackems 91 and Derby 92 I seen about 3% of the game and absolutely loved it.

The perspective then wasn't about a day out or entertainment just support really

Especially when supporting the NUFC of the 80s and very early 90s. :lol:

It was all about the day out back then. One weekend I remember in the old 2nd division we played Bournemouth away. The coach was delayed and we missed the kick-off, and also missed NUFC taking the lead. Just as we got in to the ground, the heavens opened and we got absolutely soaked. Then Bournemouth eventually won 2-1. Then we went straight back home. :lol: Was still a great day out though.

3 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Absolutely. But I don’t think I would have stood on terraces like that. I suppose I’m haunted by the pictures of you know what. 

Not surprised. And there were many, many games pre-Hillsborough where the "tipping point" was nearly reached and a similar tragedy might have happened. 

1 hour ago, TomYam said:

?? Can't make head or tail of this. When did Dickie Grainger fuck you? What is the run down dump? Who are the mallards and dickies - did you see them in Leazes Park?

Unless u live on the planet Zog...gan and sit in the Black Bull (bottom Stanhope st) and don't be lazy with the history.