St James' Park

Delima

If you want a vibrant city centre you need people living and working there. That's why development like those on Pilgrim St are good for the city. The Reuben brothers aren't stupid. City centre office demand is up as a result of the pandemic because businesses don't need large out of town office space anymore - with smaller and more flexible spaces with a better postcode providing better bang for your buck. 

We all want more green spaces too in the city too but that's always going to be an entirelt philanthropic venture for a private landowner and simply isn't going to happen on a site like this.

But this isn't London, so any development is always more of a gamble. Which is why I'd be surprised if they weren't open to an easy sale and says profit.

Edited by ponsaelius

Guest HTT II
Just now, ponsaelius said:

If you want a vibrant city centre you need people living and working there. That's why development like those on Pilgrim St are good for the city. The Reuben brothers aren't stupid. City centre office demand is up as a result of the pandemic because businesses don't need large out of town office space anymore - with smaller and more flexible spaces with a better postcode providing better bang for your buck. 

We all want more green spaces too in the city too but that's always going to be an entirelt philanthropic venture for a private landowner and simply isn't going to happen on a site like this.

But this isn't London, so any development is always more of a gamble. Which is why I'd be surprised if they weren't open to an easy sale and says profit.

Of course, but it seems the city is geared up towards office blocks, students and retail when it should be more than just about that. I understand it’s tough to get the right balance and we do have some balance, but I’d only ever visit the city centre now for a meal or a drink and wouldn’t want to hang around it any length of time.

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Of course, but it seems the city is geared up towards office blocks, students and retail when it should be more than just about that. I understand it’s tough to get the right balance and we do have some balance, but I’d only ever visit the city centre now for a meal or a drink and wouldn’t want to hang around it any length of time.

I'll be honest I love wandering around Newcastle tbh. It mostly involves food and drink granted, but it's still a great vibrant city centre with plenty to see and do in such a condensed area.

Just now, HTT II said:

Ultimately though it's simply a case of taking what a private developer wants to do with a site or a unit. If a building is sitting empty in the city and a developer wants to turn it into an office because their business case says it will be a success you won't say no just because you think it should be a restaurant. Obviously there is some control towards what should happen to certain areas in policy terms but that is long term. Actually development and planning is mostly case by case and market led. And in Newcastle we can't afford to be picky. Investment and development of most kinds is good and makes the city more vibrant. If people want to build it actually means you have a city that is doing OK. 

And there's a reason for student accomodation in the city centre. It's to try and move the market away from the grip of slum landlords jamming 8 bedrooms into single houses Heaton and Jesmond. Thus freeing up more family housing in more traditional suburbs. All housing is good for the housing market - even student rental accomodation.

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Ultimately though it's simply a case of taking what a private developer wants to do with a site or a unit. If a building is sitting empty in the city and a developer wants to turn it into an office because their business case says it will be a success you won't say no just because you think it should be a restaurant. Obviously there is some control towards what should happen to certain areas in policy terms but that is long term. Actually development and planning is mostly case by case and market led. And in Newcastle we can't afford to be picky. Investment and development of most kinds is good and makes the city more vibrant. If people want to build it actually means you have a city that is doing OK. 

Fair points, I just think we will have a half empty office block. Planning in the City is a disgrace, like the Tyne Bridge bus Lane idea, the one way system around the city and other ventures. I was shocked at how bad the traffic was around the City yesterday, having not drove in and around it for a few years. Again half empty buses, loads of empty taxis etc. 

43 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It's the city centre. Dense development of offices and resi on a dead space like a car park and right next to a metro station is exactly the sort of thing that should be getting built there. It's an embarrassment to a city like Newcastle that these pockets of land have been so underutilised for decades - and shows to a depressed economic state. The fact they've eventually become seemingly viable for development is a good thing.

Obviously on a personal level I'd far rather see SJP extended but I have no issue with the development in principle. Certainly not to protect 'views' of the stadium for no reason or benefit at all.

Naturally I'm on board with basically everything you say and I know the craic when it comes to views and planning, but I don't agree with that bit. Isn't there even a policy in the Local Plan which attaches some value to the stadium's presence in the skyline? Its protection was never gonna be enough to outweigh the benefits of economically beneficial development, obviously.  

Loosely related to the last sentence above but you'd think there might be some potential for mixed use development if the Gallowgate was extended. Hotel or whatever, if there's demand for that sort of accommodation in the city centre. 

Can’t remember who said they know the club are looking into extension possibilities.

But if that poster knows, it’s probably quite likely that the owners of the Gallowgate land know too. The club have been safe since April, they know the demand is there. If they needed confirmation, they’ve certainly found out this week with the amount of memberships they’ve sold. 

I’m sure all parties will get what they want out of the deal.

2 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Can’t remember who said they know the club are looking into extension possibilities.

But if that poster knows, it’s probably quite likely that the owners of the Gallowgate land know too. The club have been safe since April, they know the demand is there. If they needed confirmation, they’ve certainly found out this week with the amount of memberships they’ve sold. 

The club themselves publicly announced they were looking into extending- it’s no secret. 

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

I'd say they've probably already been approached if the club are doing their own structural investigations. They're basically threatening with the shovel at the ready at the moment - because they know their development kills a SJP extension. I'd be amazed if there isn't a sale before 2023.

53 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I'd say they've probably already been approached if the club are doing their own structural investigations. They're basically threatening with the shovel at the ready at the moment - because they know their development kills a SJP extension. I'd be amazed if there isn't a sale before 2023.

Reading things like this really makes my hatred of Mike Ashley grow stronger, he had no respect for our heritage,  our past, he fucked the present every season he was there and he's even put a spanner in the works for our future by selling the land and pocketing the money.

Worra Cunt.

Mike Ashley could have held the land, entitled the site and gotten all the necessary approvals in place for an extension (without actually doing it) and likely added that to his sale price and made a few multiples of profit on very little and easy work. 

17 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Mike Ashley could have held the land, entitled the site and gotten all the necessary approvals in place for an extension (without actually doing it) and likely added that to his sale price and made a few multiples of profit on very little and easy work. 

For all his money that he did make, he could have made so much more if he wasn’t such a stubborn ballon head of a child! 

Edited by PauloGeordio

Just a pure on imbecile, Mike Ashley. You don’t sell off city center land adjacent to your stadium that could be used as 1) expansion 2) structured parking 3) mixed use restaurant, hotel, office, high-end residential rentals or for sale condos for small bits of monies when you’ve no desire to keep the club. 

3 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

And there's a reason for student accomodation in the city centre. It's to try and move the market away from the grip of slum landlords jamming 8 bedrooms into single houses Heaton and Jesmond. Thus freeing up more family housing in more traditional suburbs. All housing is good for the housing market - even student rental accomodation.

Yeah, a quick look on things like the Chronicle’s comments pages and it’s all people complaining about student accommodation, even when it’s offices.

Thing is these were the people who were complaining that they were taking up housing stock in Jesmond and Heaton as you mention. So where do they want the students to go?

Students actually bring in a lot of money to the city centre and the areas where they live. Those restaurants, the comedy club, that gin bar people like, it’s all there because students. Anything remotely centred around evening or night time events is student led, because they are the demographic living in the city centre and making it alive after the workers go home at 5pm.

Newcastle city centre actually has a very low city centre population. As a result Newcastle’s councils area until recently had a lower population than Sunderland.

I do think we do need more green areas in Newcastle. As much as we have the town moor, it’s very a city centre border area. There is very little pocket parks so to speak. I would love for the buildings on the Bigg Market where the job centre etc is to be knocked down and turned into a small park. It would open up the area so much, right now you have very narrow paths and it can feel quite closed in. It could also help to attract better retailers than night clubs.

We got rid of the two fattys ( how the fuck fatty 2 still got a job and he got his laddie in) 20 to 30k marching to the civic every home game will unsettle that shower running  the Labour Council when they find out 97% of newcastle fans couldn't give two fucks about Leazes tce.

Give us the duck pond in leazez Park let the city move forward job done .

Fucking stuff Spittal tongues.

Edited by Nun tumblers

1 minute ago, Nun tumblers said:

We got rid of the two fattys ( how the fuck fatty 2 still got a job and he got his laddie in) 20 to 30k marching to the civic every home game will unsettle that shower running  the Labour Council when they find out 97% of newcastle fans couldn't give two fucks about Leazes the 

Give us the duck pond in leazez Park let the city move forward job done .

Fucking stuff Spittal tongues.

Thought I'd heard all of The Fall's songs, obviously I was mistaken.

8 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I think the council's priority now should be to get more people living in the city centre, you can buy a 3 bedroom apartment on grey street which is stunning for £250k, I went on Thursday with the wife and it was busy but nobody actually lives in the city centre.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Ben said:

I think the council's priority now should be to get more people living in the city centre, you can buy a 3 bedroom apartment on grey street which is stunning for £250k, I went on Thursday with the wife and it was busy but nobody actually lives in the city centre.

Before we had our boys me and the wife were going to rent a stunning apartment on Grainger Street, but I backed out. I’d love to live in a City Centre one day, Paris maybe or somewhere else, but not with two young kids. 

I think the city council jobs is to get st Jp expanded in the city centre at all costs up to 75k supoorters, fuck the butterflys and the ducks and dodgy fuckers at night roaming around. give them st Jimmy's  landscape it like billio ducks victorian bottles rare moths etc.....and let's become a real European superpower in football  .

It's nufc at all costs the council need a fooking rocket up their arses like the red wall at the last election ....take the support at granted and scotland Wales and Newcastle will fuck you over 

Edited by Nun tumblers
Typo