St James' Park

Delima

Guest HTT II

Probably a daft question, but how many extra fans are not included in the total capacity due to corporate boxes and so on, or are they?

Edited by HTT II

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

What part of the Gallowgate is this? How do you get to see it?

I was trying to work out what part of the Gallowgate it was.  By the looks of it, I think it might be where the old Gallowgate corner used to meet the East Stand.

1 hour ago, Sima said:

What part of the Gallowgate is this? How do you get to see it?

I asked the same questions, tge bloke says he took it working at St James. Someone said its exactly the same under the Milburn as well

Edited by Pokerprince2004

6 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Totally agree on this.

I'm speaking as someone that hasn't been able to get my ST back (the risk you take I suppose).

But a 60-65k stadium is MORE than enough imo and surely is more cost effective than building a new stadium. I can;t recall the cost floating around in 2007 for the extension but was it not around £50m?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/united-plan-a-60000-ground-1490092

We had the proposed plans in my old office.  They were unworkable as the piling required for the extension to build over Strawberry Place would have been problematic in terms of the Metro line and station below.  It would have cost a lot more than 50m if it had been workable.  Today, again if workable, you’re talking 150m+.  Less than a new stadium, certainly - but again, you’re talking about drilled concrete piles to a depth of as much as 30m+ (as estimated at the time).  Not sure how you achieve that without the Metro Station and line potentially looking like ‘Kerplunk’.  

(I’m a civils quantity surveyor during the day)

On 28/06/2022 at 21:32, Kid Icarus said:

Any way to check the stadium capacity by stand? Would be interesting to see what the capacity would actually be if we mirrored the Leazes and Leazes west corner over the Gallowgate and Gallowgate west corner.

Milburn Stand; 14,844

East Stand; 5,240

Leazes End; 20,062

Gallowgate End; 12,043

Like finding an ancient burial ground that. Or more like the sarcophagus over Chernobyl given, I take it, thems the steps up past the open latrines.

Stood there (the end) for the bulk of 89/90 and usually sentimental about things but wasn't too fussed when it was dug up, even less so now I know some remains.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I know we could get ridiculous gates, but Man U could get 100k and Liverpool 70k for most games if they're going well, most big clubs grounds are full and we probably have to accept whatever the capacity there'll be games where people can't get in who would like to and not aim for that.

Be ideal to have capacity extension in hand like Man City if and when its needed of course. Not having that is the conundrum I dont know how we deal with. It will be complicated and expensive to bring the Gallowgate up to Leazes height and remodel the East Stand to squeeze a couple extra thousand on that only to find that 58-62k is full 95% plus of the time too and find you've sold yourself short and back to square one.

6 hours ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Seen this on Facebook, pretty cool 👍

Screenshot_20220630_173247_com.facebook.katana_edit_279638595980765.jpg

About five years ago someone sent me this different photo of (what I assume is) those same steps. They said the photo was taken at the Gallowgate end, under the new stand . . .

Old Gallowgate Steps - Still there underneath the NEW STAND at SJP.jpg

11 hours ago, manorpark said:

The St James' Park Metro Station Site (One St James') consists of four large buildings.

1 x Residential, not for students.

2 x Office Blocks.

1 x Radisson Red Hotel (the tallest block of the 4).

Can the owners not try and buy it back?  Of all the things MA did in this tenure selling this land is up there as one of the worst.

1 hour ago, duo said:

Can the owners not try and buy it back?  Of all the things MA did in this tenure selling this land is up there as one of the worst.

Yes as mentioned earlier, that seems very possible, especially with the involvement of Jamie Reuben!

7 hours ago, manorpark said:

Yes as mentioned earlier, that seems very possible, especially with the involvement of Jamie Reuben!

Need to be quick then as they're ready to start building

7 minutes ago, duo said:

Need to be quick then as they're ready to start building

Not sure if they are that advanced yet, the Metro Station Car park is still being used as a 'compound' for the materials and machinery being used on the next door "Home Group HQ building" construction that is nearly finished next to the Strawberry.

We follow this (and all developments in the City Centre) very closely over on SkyscraperCity.com, and we are already up to 'Post No. 559' for this project. We have a team of local photographers that keep us up to speed (I rely totally on them) and their latest post does not show any preparation work for these four new builds . . . yet!

See - https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/one-st-james-st-james’-metro-station-car-park-newcastle-various-approved.1406356/post-178290366