St James' Park

Delima

I believe the company who bought and/or were going to develop on this land have gone bust. I'm sure the owners have an eye on the situation if extending the stadium this way is viable. 

Just now, Vedder said:

I believe the company who bought and/or were going to develop on this land have gone bust. I'm sure the owners have an eye on the situation if extending the stadium this way is viable. 

They did but they sold the land off before they formally went bust.

Of course other developers will be sitting back to reassess things as the economy crumbles and we aren’t sure if people are going to willingly go back to offices full time or not before we start building new ones.

I dare say the company who owns the land may be tempted by a quick profit.

23 minutes ago, Vedder said:

This situation is regularly discussed at the above linked thread.

Edited by manorpark

15 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Milburn Stand; 14,844

East Stand; 5,240

Leazes End; 20,062

Gallowgate End; 12,043

That doesn't feel right - How come there's 5k more in the Leazes than the Milburn? They're the same height but the Milburn is 1.54* the length. I mean I get that there's more corporate shit in the Milburn, but surely not to that extent?

Unless all the corners are counted entirely as part of the ends, and not part of the sides.

6 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

That doesn't feel right - How come there's 5k more in the Leazes than the Milburn? They're the same height but the Milburn is 1.54* the length. I mean I get that there's more corporate shit in the Milburn, but surely not to that extent?

Unless all the corners are counted entirely as part of the ends, and not part of the sides.

Are they not including level 7 behind leazes as the leazes?

It seems that's what they've done with the Milburn with it being nearly 15k.

32 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Are they not including level 7 behind leazes as the leazes?

It seems that's what they've done with the Milburn with it being nearly 15k.

Of course. But the Milburn has a level 7 too, on a side that's 1.54* as long.

3 hours ago, Chris_R said:

The Leazes is far bigger than the Milburn if you include the corners. Also the Milburn loses a lot of seats due to it being home to most of the corporate hospitality as well as the directors box. Seats in there are a lot more spaced out than in the Leazes End. 

When the Leazes was built in 1993 it had a capacity of 11,140.  Since then around 1,800 seats were added in Level 4 (under the TV studios), plus around 7k seats directly above in Level 7, and L7 corner.

On 01/07/2022 at 08:25, manorpark said:

Not sure if they are that advanced yet, the Metro Station Car park is still being used as a 'compound' for the materials and machinery being used on the next door "Home Group HQ building" construction that is nearly finished next to the Strawberry.

We follow this (and all developments in the City Centre) very closely over on SkyscraperCity.com, and we are already up to 'Post No. 559' for this project. We have a team of local photographers that keep us up to speed (I rely totally on them) and their latest post does not show any preparation work for these four new builds . . . yet!

See - https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/one-st-james-st-james’-metro-station-car-park-newcastle-various-approved.1406356/post-178290366

There were a couple of worrying developments yesterday about this.

Firstly the Planning Application at the City Council was updated by the Developer.

Secondly, they released some new CGI's of the proposals, which makes it look like they are still planning to go ahead with this particular scheme on the St James' Park Metro Station Car Park Site.

Here are the CGI's - Click on each image to enlarge it . . .

One St James - 1.jpg

One St James - 3.jpg

One St James - 2.jpg

Edited by manorpark

Quite possibly an attempt to get the club calling.

’Hi, over here, this thing that is detrimental to your club is still going ahead, we promise, but hopefully this gets you interested in the site and we can sell it to you for a quick profit’.

Just now, Stifler said:

Quite possibly an attempt to get the club calling.

’Hi, over here, this thing that is detrimental to your club is still going ahead, we promise, but hopefully this gets you interested in the site and we can sell it to you for a quick profit’.

Oh Stifler. :lol: 

Guest HTT II
8 minutes ago, manorpark said:

There were a couple of worrying developments yesterday about this. Firstly the Planning Application at the City Council was updated by the Developer. Secondly, they released some new CGI's of the proposals, which makes it look like they are still planning to go aead with this scheme for the St James' Park Metro Station Car Park Site. Here are the CGI's . . .

One St James - 1.jpg

One St James - 3.jpg

One St James - 2.jpg

More generic looking shite. They will stand empty for years no doubt, can the club not object as it will block out light to SJP…

Like I said the other day - they're still pressing on ahead for a supposed start in the new year. Or at the very least making it seem like they are to drive up a sale price. It might seem like a charade to submit an amended application but it would all be about keeping a poker face. 

Edited by ponsaelius

25 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Oh Stifler. :lol: 

To be honest I don't think Stifler is wrong. There's definitely a very reasonable chance that is what they are doing. If you wanted to sell the land to the club you wouldn't want to give the slightest indication that you actually did so or that the site development wasn't full systems go.

Edited by ponsaelius

Part of the essence of St.James Park is it's presence as a view from the south. "The catherdral on the hill", if you will. 

Block that by more hideous tower blocks and, apart from the proximity to all the boozers, you might as well shift it. 

41 minutes ago, manorpark said:

There were a couple of worrying developments yesterday about this. Firstly the Planning Application at the City Council was updated by the Developer. Secondly, they released some new CGI's of the proposals, which makes it look like they are still planning to go aead with this scheme for the St James' Park Metro Station Car Park Site. Here are the CGI's . . .

One St James - 1.jpg

One St James - 3.jpg

One St James - 2.jpg

Looks shit

Just now, Groundhog63 said:

Part of the essence of St.James Park is it's presence as a view from the south. "The catherdral on the hill", if you will. 

Block that by more hideous tower blocks and, apart from the proximity to all the boozers, you might as well shift it. 

That’s my stance. Box it in and you hinder the club’s future, diminish the grandeur and take away that essence of heading to that focal point. Would be happier at that point to develop something bespoke and unique on the Arena site.

I was reading about the new Manchester Arena they’re building by City’s ground. We should consider something like this along with a new stadium:

https://www.manchestersfinest.com/articles/new-images-manchesters-huge-new-23500-capacity-music-sports-arena/

It's the city centre. Dense development of offices and resi on a dead space like a car park and right next to a metro station is exactly the sort of thing that should be getting built there. It's an embarrassment to a city like Newcastle that these pockets of land have been so underutilised for decades - and shows to a depressed economic state. The fact they've eventually become seemingly viable for development is a good thing.

Obviously on a personal level I'd far rather see SJP extended but I have no issue with the development in principle. Certainly not to protect 'views' of the stadium for no reason or benefit at all.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

It's the city centre. Dense development of offices and resi on a dead space like a car park and right next to a metro station is exactly the sort of thing that should be getting built there. It's an embarrassment to a city like Newcastle that these pockets of land have been so underutilised for decades - and shows to a depressed economic state. The fact they've eventually become seemingly viable for development is a good thing.

Obviously on a personal level I'd far rather see SJP extended but I have no issue with the development in principle. Certainly not to protect 'views' of the stadium for no reason or benefit at all.

I’d rather more open space than some generic shit looking office space which again will no doubt stand empty.

42 minutes ago, HTT II said:

More generic looking shite. They will stand empty for years no doubt, can the club not object as it will block out light to SJP…

Looks like a jam packed overdeveloped clusterfuck. Wonder if that phrase featured in their PowerPoint? 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Looks like a jam packed overdeveloped clusterfuck. Wonder if that phrase featured in their PowerPoint? 

The pandemic has shown people don’t need to go to work in big fuck off expensive offices 5 days a week, I had hoped that the City Centre would become more user friendly in terms of open space, people to come into the city to eat out, go to the library, for walks, to enjoy the architecture etc. I can’t stand the place these days, I drove through it yesterday, took fucking ages due to traffic, too many buses half empty, taxis just lined up empty, and people just mooching around doing not an awful lot. The high streets are already dead.