Carlos Tevez - Sign him at any cost

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Viduka debate has been discussed. I'm majorly 'pro'. ;)

But anyway.

I wouldn't be against it or angry if he did come, as long as his wage wasn't too high. 

If we signed him on a Bosman the wages would be high. That's just he nature of modern football. No transfer fee generally means higher wages.  :undecided:

The talk is usually about buying a "conventional" centre-forward, but I reckon Tevez would also be a really good foil to either Martins or Owen. OK, he's no target man, but he's great at link-up play, tenacious as fuck, and brilliant at holding the ball up.

agree with the sentiment about tevez personally...he'd bring a totally new dimension to the team we've been lacking for ages and perhaps more importantly for playing in the PL he has the work rate and isn't afraid to put his foot in

we do, however, need to add some semblance of stability to the defence, particularly getting an experienced player in to coach and play with taylor et al....a sol campbell type if you will, plus we HAVE to have 2 first choice full backs next year that start more games than they miss or we'll be f1cked again

if we manager to get this sidwell lad in for nowt to add midfield depth, get an experienced older defender to play with the lads plus dig up a couple of decent full backs and spaff cash on tevez then i'd be delighted

there's always sales we could chuck in to make this happen such as luque/emre or whoever plus the wage bill will be lighter with the inevitable departures

all in all it's possible, if we got tevez, old experienced CB, plus reasonably priced RB & LB then i'd be dancing in the streets

actually heard a rumour that the fat man has taken a shine to tevez and will try to make the deal happen should the go down!!  so who knows....we all know how much he likes publicity

Look at this seasons inevitable champions - Manchester United.

Against other teams, they are confident dwelling on the ball in the final 20 yards of the field. It is the incredible amount of goals that they score from getting themselves in these positions that is leaving them in with a shout of a second treble.

Whereas we try to play like Chelsea - camp ourselves in the first 60 yards, and occasionally smash and grab.

We'd be hard pressed to think of an example where we've spent more than 5 seconds in the final 20 yards of the pitch.

There is probably even a statistic where if you average the distance of each goal we've scored, we would have the longest in the Premiership. This is not the sign of us having a good attacking team.

Of course, if we intend to play smash and grab football, we'd be better off buying two defenders and an attacking midfielder. This would mean that we'd concede a few less, and score a couple more. However, under current management the improvement will not be significant.

We'd just be benefitting due to slightly better percentages. I can't see Roeder increasing our creativity by reorganising the side such that the wingers get the ball in better positions. New defenders wont improve creativity.

If we signed Tevez, we could become a creative attacking force. Of course, we'd have defensive problems, but much less goals will be conceded due to percentages, but we'd score a shedload more, with Tevez ability of bringing his teammates into play in creative positions in the final 20 yards of the pitch.

Also Tevez would reduce the pressure on defence with his constant pressure on opposition defenders, which would force them to misplace passes etc, whereas right now, it is easy for an opposition defender to collect the ball and play it to the feet of a more offensive player.

At West Ham, Curbishley doesnt need to concentrate on attacking tactics. Much of his time is spent towards defensive organisation, knowing that by instructing his teams to make forward runs, Tevez will be there to orchestrate every single attacking move.

Given the manager we have in charge, Tevez will yield more success than any other player in any other position right now.

Sign Tevez, and we'd finish somewhere between 4th and 8th.

Sign defenders, and we will finish 6th-15th.

Lastly, what would our two most successful managers of recent times do if they took over right now?

Both Keegan and Robson would choose to add creativity, drive, gung-ho-ness, enthusiasm and a will to win to the attack before they even bothered to look at the defence. If you want a good team, do what the past masters would do.

Carlos Tevez

£10m fee. £60k-a-week wages.

Mark Viduka

£0 fee. £60k-a-week wages.

If we're talking purely financial prospects - it's not exaclty a toughie to pick.

i would never give viduka 60k/week.... that's silly.... and tevez... we not need him now... rather borrow salomon kalou

At the end of the season, after everybody who is leaving has left, the following defensive options will remain:

Right-backs - Solano, Carr.

Center-backs - Taylor, Ramage.

Left-backs - Babayaro.

Now, as much as i like Tevez, there's no way we can justify spending the entire budget on an attacking player when at very, very least we need three new defenders through the door in the Summer. It wouldn't matter if we had C.Ronaldo, Messi & Kaka up front, a back four of Solano-Taylor-Ramage-Babayaro is going to leak a significant amount of goals in the Premiership.

I'd be happy not to sign anyone else if we signed Carlos Tevez.

On crack tbh.

Haha, agree with that! We'd have a class line up if we sign Tevez and noone else mate..... just imagine the damage Tevez could do while our boys at the back concede goals left, right n center.

Guest Brazilianbob

This is a pointless thread.  The striking department is already well sorted, we have Owen, Martins, Shola and Sibierski ,with the young and very promising Andy Carroll as backup. ( I am assuming Luque will be leaving)!  In midfield we will have Duff, N'Zogbia, Emre, Dyer, Butt, Parker, Milner and Solano (assuming we buy a decent right back) and if the rumours are true Sidwell.

Why would we want Tevez, in my opinion, he is the type of player that we have always gone for in the past, because the fans have demanded it, but I would point out that it has consistently failed to bring us the success we all crave.

I say stick with bringing in decent defenders and we may all be pleasantly surprised by the ability of our current midfielder's and strikers, when playing in front of a solid defence.

Get Tevez whilst we can. Its the same with the Rooney bid - its worth sacrificing the needs of the squad for one season if we can land a special player, one who isnt a crock or already had his best days long ago, a gifted player on the up. We can sign average defenders next season - but the player has to be worth that gamble, otherwise were better off getting some good defenders in. Tevez is worth it imo.

If we miss out now, and sign decent defenders and have a decent season, then thats great, but when it comes to the following summer, well be in the same boat of wanting to sign a top class player with creativity and a big presence on the pitch. We'll probably find that we cant sign anyone of that calibre as theyre not available or willing to come here, so were looking at signing promising youngsters or average players with some ability who wont really improve the first team whilst casting envious glances at the likes of Rooney and Tevez. If we dont miss out now, we can always get decent defenders in later on, and ultimately we end up in a better situation as in the long run, we have both of what we want (creative top class forward + decent defence) as opposed to just the one (decent defence).

So yes, Tevez all the way. However, theres no reason to get Tevez and noone else. Tevez, Distin, Sidwell, and a decent left back would do me fine for the summer incomings, with Tevez being the only large transfer fee involved. Aim for a decent league finish, then look to sign a better calibre left back the following summer.

I also wouldnt mind us cashing in on either Martins or Owen to get Tevez if we had to, purely because hes alot better at getting involved in the play, holding the ball up, creating space and chances, than both of them. Ie, hes a player you can actually build the team around as opposed to someone who spends most of the game being anonymous (Owen) or is downright inconsistent in his general play (Martins).

Tevez is a good player who would add a hell of a lot of quality to our play but I think you are going a little OTT with how much pressure he would take off the defence James! No player in the world can keep the pressure off that much hence why the top clubs have top class defenders! Hence why Manchester United are top of the league and have probably spent more on their defence than they have any other area of the pitch.

We are losing defenders in the summer and will be left with a bunch of kids, Solano and 2 full backs who aren't good enough. It would be fucking mental to ignore this AGAIN and just splash out on a striker! As Midds (i think) said, what if Tevez gets injured? We are left with a weaker squad than this season where we have just about managed to keep out of the relegation scrap.

It's all a bit cloud cuckoo in this thread, eh?

If Roeder did this and Tevez got injured or he didn't perform like the megastar he apparently is he'd be fucking lynched and we'd find ourselves in deep, deep shit - far worse than this season, even. There are at least 6 players on their way out of the club and people are suggesting spending a fortune on Tevez and settling for Sidwell, Distin and a "decent" left-back. What happened to building from the back and creating a squad to challenge the top six with?

Never mind the fact of West Ham staying up, or Tevez wanting to touch us with a bargepole, or if we could actually afford it, or if we'd sell Martins/Owen if an offer came in. Fucking bonkers. FM-tastic. Mental, mental, chicken oriental.

It's all a bit cloud cuckoo in this thread, eh?

If Roeder did this and Tevez got injured or he didn't perform like the megastar he apparently is he'd be f****** lynched and we'd find ourselves in deep, deep s*** - far worse than this season, even. There are at least 6 players on their way out of the club and people are suggesting spending a fortune on Tevez and settling for Sidwell, Distin and a "decent" left-back. What happened to building from the back and creating a squad to challenge the top six with?

Never mind the fact of West Ham staying up, or Tevez wanting to touch us with a bargepole, or if we could actually afford it, or if we'd sell Martins/Owen if an offer came in. f****** bonkers. FM-tastic. Mental, mental, chicken oriental.

It would be a gamble, noone is denying it - the point has been whether or not a gamble on a player of Tevez's calibre is worthwhile. Hes not a crock, nor has he already had his best years behind him. Hes on the up, hes improving with every game, and he looks to be turning his potential into reality - this past month or so hes been an immense player for West Ham.

There isnt only one way to go about building a top 6 side. We should build from the back, yes, but at this point in time, who do you think we can attract? John Terry, Alessandro Nesta? If we spend money on defenders, we'll end up spending 15mill on above average ones, maybe with some talent or experience or with potential, the likes of Baines and Upson as pure examples. Thats fine by me and would be good additions who would improve the first team. Ultimately, we'll probably end up being a top 6 or 7 side, considerably more solid than this season gone by, but still lacking the top class players to realistically nail a spot in the top 4.

Thats when we get to the situation of needing to improve the team by adding world class players - something that is hard to do when none of them are available or willing to come here, and we arent in the CL to attract them in the first place. Its the situation that Spurs are in right now - they have the squad, but theyre struggling to take the next step up because they cant get that special creative player they need. If you look at all the top teams, they tend to have at least one star player who is considered by everyone to be world class (Ronaldo, Rooney, Rio at ManU, Drogba, Lampard, Terry at Chelsea, Henry at Arsenal, Gerrard at Pool, etc)  - the likes of us and Spurs dont have any of those players imo. As a result, we have to go down the alternative route to take that step up, having to buy slightly better "good" or above average players or having to take gambles on the likes of Hugo Viana, ie having to resort to "the next best thing" in terms of settling for potential because the other option isnt available.

On the other hand, we could sign a big player like Tevez whilst we have the chance, and just for now, plug the gaps with adequate players. The following season, we would be in a position to spend money on better defenders, replace the stop gaps, etc. My opinion is that wed be better off going down this route if we can because we then have that one truly class player to build around.

By the same token, if we had landed Rooney when we had the chance and ManU hadnt adjusted their finances and effectively changed their minds, wed be sitting here today with one of the best forwards in the country playing for us. It would have been worth ignoring the defence that summer because in the long term we would have benefitted by landing a player who later on we would have no chance of getting.

Its not bonkers at all. In reality, 6 players or more may be on their way out, but firstly we wont be in Europe meaning less games, and secondly most of those will no doubt not be missed because they will have hardly played. If Luque was released tomorrow, it wouldnt make one bit of difference to the first team squad because he wasnt in it in truth in the first place. On paper, its one player out, in reality, the squad has already learnt to cope without him. Same applies for Bernard, Moore, Babayaro. I think we could replace Onyewu, Moore, Bernard, Babayaro and Bramble with two defenders if we were being really stingy - a centreback and a left back, because if you look at who actually has contributed anything to the team this season, you get Onyewu, Moore, Bernard, Babayaro and Bramble. Obviously, wed need to keep the likes of Ramage, Huntington and Edgar as backup, but im not so sure theres much of a drop in quality or contribution from them compared to the likes of Moore.

Obviously its all dream talk and it will never materialise. Even now ive seen a few rumours on various boards that Benitez wants Tevez to replace Bellamy, which even though is nothing but a pie in the sky rumour, would make complete sense as Mascherano is already at Liverpool (ie willing to deal with his agents) and Tevez is exactly the type of player they need.

A risk we cannot afford to take. Bridge also had an excellent injury records at Southampton (one of the best in the prem) but one bad injury is all it took to keep him out for a season. If its "at any cost" like this thread originally stated that "any cost" could well be relegation. No thanks.

Guest NUFCnutter

We NEED defenders. Tevez is a luxury that we cannot afford at the moment. If we had a solid defence then yes Tevez would be great, but we need the defenders more.

We could play all three of Tevez, Owen and Martins in my opinion, dropping Emre out of the team. Parker could then revert to the everywhere in defense role that he had under Souness

Great lineup if we were playing the 7 dwarfs + 4 ov their  mates.

I like Tevez think he is good player who will get better but we have too many little uns in midfield,attack  & full back postions already.