Reading 1-0 Newcastle United - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

Guest magpies_rawk

P        W      D        L        F        A        T

35  11  9  15  37  44  42

That is f****** s**** considering the squad we have and money spent.

"people forget easily but considering the injury list, glen roeder aka rocky balboa who never gives up has done the best possible job. i would like to see mourinho play without terry, cech and lamps...fergie without rio, vidic, rooney...rafa without gerrard... etc"

A shamefull performance, we were out played by Reading tonight and that speaks volumes about how far we have sunk.  Roader is not the man for the job simple as that. 

I was told today from someone i know at St James season tickets will be going up by £20......i Wont be renewing !!

Harper 6 - not much to do

Solano 6 - defended nervously, could have given away penalties, passing was better.

Taylor 7 - best defender at club, just a shame he has to partner Bramble

Bramble 4 - should not get a new contract, back passing to Harper was awful, composure is awful

Carr 6 - decent at left back, but we definately need a new LB.

Milner 7 - best player, tried and set pieces were generally good.

Dyer 5 - gave the ball away needlessly, did nothing, consider selling 

Emre 6 - did ok (N'Zogbia 5) - completely lacked any effort

Sibierski 6 - linked play well as AMC (Ameobi 6) - looked rusty

Martins 6 - long ball to Martins will never work and this leads to frustration for him

Owen 6 - wasn't expecting him to play all of the game, looked good in the first half, died down in the second

Roeder 5 - put Martins on the right to accomodate Ameobi, looked disinterested (clueless) when the camera was on him and Pearson.

Dyer and N'Zogbia - I would consider any bids at the minute for these two.

Everything about the team is pissing me off at the moment. No movement whatsoever, set pieces at either end are the usual wank.

And Bramble. :lol:

Same here... it's horrible isnt it? Can't watch without rolling your eyes every few seconds.

Guest magpies_rawk

Harper 6 - not much to do

Solano 6 - defended nervously, could have given away penalties, passing was better.

Taylor 7 - best defender at club, just a shame he has to partner Bramble

Bramble 4 - should not get a new contract, back passing to Harper was awful, composure is awful

Carr 6 - decent at left back, but we definately need a new LB.

Milner 7 - best player, tried and set pieces were generally good.

Dyer 5 - gave the ball away needlessly, did nothing, consider selling 

Emre 6 - did ok (N'Zogbia 5) - completely lacked any effort

Sibierski 6 - linked play well as AMC (Ameobi 6) - looked rusty

Martins 6 - long ball to Martins will never work and this leads to frustration for him

Owen 6 - wasn't expecting him to play all of the game, looked good in the first half, died down in the second

Roeder 5 - put Martins on the right to accomodate Ameobi, looked disinterested (clueless) when the camera was on him and Pearson.

Dyer and N'Zogbia - I would consider any bids at the minute for these two.

Esp Pearson slouching on his seat..:D

i would only consider any bids for dyer and emre (purely because of his fitness) at this point in time..i still think zoggy could come good under a better manager.

I honestly dont know if i should cry or laugh. Well i dont think i have energy left to do any of it, or even being angry anymore.

It's so bad that it's almost unreal..The axe is the only alternative for roeder and some of the players...

Everything about the team is pissing me off at the moment. No movement whatsoever, set pieces at either end are the usual wank.

And Bramble. :lol:

Same here... it's horrible isnt it? Can't watch without rolling your eyes every few seconds.

:lol: True.

What made it worse were Reading in comparison, fucks sake they should be shit in comparison to us on paper but are superior in every department.

Guest Magic

Pish.  >:(

First-half diagnosis?

Started off brightly. A couple of good chances. Owen showed why he's world class with the runs he made. Faded about halfway through and it was (dubious) honours even from then on.

Second-half diagnosis?

Poor. Awful tactics. Ameobi for Sibierski was a tactical disasterstroke. At least Sib (very average though he is) linked up play. Roeder managed to take Martins completely out of the game and let the midfield get  overrun with that.

Full-time diagnosis?

>:( - That's how frustrated I am. I've resorted to using a smiley.

Star man for United?

Milner. Only guy who looked like he could make something happen. Owen was good too whilst up to match pace. Taylor did some good work.

Worst United player?

Bramble. Some several ridiculous clangers. Dyer did little and gave the ball away cheaply too. Zoggy and Shola did bugger all too, but they've barely played so they get some slack.

Opposition comment?

Like so many teams, ability-wise not as good as us, but better organised and coached so they made the most of their abilities and used space and movement better than us.

Toon-pros?

Owen not injured.

Toon-cons?

Poor tactics, no attacking flair. Couldn't impose ourselves. Despite our ability (and we do have lots of players of ability) we still produce no more than 3 good attacking moves a game. People say our defence needs strengthening. Yes it probably does. But until we get a coach in who can teach our guys to attack as a team we're not going to get anywhere.

Post-match feelings?

Pissed off with this farce of a club. Like he's done with other clubs Roeder has sucked all the flair and attacking ability out of the team. We've relied on individual moments for far too long. Sooner or later we've got to learn to attack and move as a team.

There'll be headlines reading something like 'Roeder bemoans missed chances'. Yes we had a couple of very good chances, but in truth we deserved at the very most a scratchy draw (against a team who produced about 2 shots on target). We were poor. Yet again.

Guest Geordiesned

What an absolute load of s**** ...again! How can Roeder continue to be paid by Newcastle United? The man is so far out of his depth it's unbelievable. As for Nigel Pearson, what the f*** was he doing having a lie down?? He should have been on the touchline screaming instructions to try and sort out the mess.

f*** off now Roeder and take Dyer and Bramble with you. A lot of very poor performances tonight but I've had enough of those 3 useless twats!

On separate note, how much of a pedantic w****** is Rob Styles?!

rob styles did decent today didn't he? save the mascot bit and arguably the penalty against bramble that should have been awarded to them...

Styles was the 4th official who insisted on James Harper coming back over to the touchline before he came on and then proceeded to take an age (deliberately) to put the number into the board before he held it up. I'm sure I saw Kevin Dillon call him a wanker.

What exactly does Roeder bring to this football club that any run-of-the-mill manager couldn't?

This performance, like several others this season, reminded me very much of the Souness era at its worst. There was just nothing there today, our desperation was summed up when Taylor blasted at goal wildly from something like 35 yards.

Why people think this manager can take us forwards I have no idea. He is continuing the slide which was gradual under Bobby and serious under Souness. We need that slide to stop and it won't with this manager.

Eleven players may have had a poor enough game but when that consistently happens with decent players you have to look at the bigger picture. Some players, espescially Dyer, deserve a bollocking but you have to look at the man who asked a controversial attacking player to captain the team in a defensive midfield position. What on earth was he thinking? Dyer's not made for that position at all and was found out several times. He cost us the first goal gifting possession and nearly cost us again and again, yet at no point did he change position. Did Roeder not realise or was he too stubborn to change his most eccentric tactical move of the game? Whatever, it cost us at the end of the day and the buck stops with him.

What an utterly depressing performance. The only positive to take out of today's game is that two players made long-awaited comebacks but then we lost two players to what look like serious injuries.

another 2 hours wasted when i could have studied for my exams or slept in...utter tosh of a performance by a team that simply lacks motivation of any sort.

horrific 2nd half display and once again, roedent revealed for who he really is... trash. i hate to say this but harry was right, roedent is a miracle worker in getting west ham down....

what on earth did roeder say to them at half time ???

had a fantastically devasting effect on the performance

Guest magpies_rawk

What an absolute load of s**** ...again! How can Roeder continue to be paid by Newcastle United? The man is so far out of his depth it's unbelievable. As for Nigel Pearson, what the f*** was he doing having a lie down?? He should have been on the touchline screaming instructions to try and sort out the mess.

f*** off now Roeder and take Dyer and Bramble with you. A lot of very poor performances tonight but I've had enough of those 3 useless twats!

On separate note, how much of a pedantic w****** is Rob Styles?!

rob styles did decent today didn't he? save the mascot bit and arguably the penalty against bramble that should have been awarded to them...

Styles was the 4th official who insisted on James Harper coming back over to the touchline before he came on and then proceeded to take an age (deliberately) to put the number into the board before he held it up. I'm sure I saw Kevin Dillon call him a w******.

my mistake mate! :)

I think saying that players should never play for the club again and that players are a disgrace to the shirt on the back of a bad performance is a little extreme.

Thinking about it rationally, although I still am pretty pissed off, I think that our downfall was the fact that most of the players out there didnt have a clue what they were doing as they were asked to do things that aren't natural to them, which boils down to Roeders decision making and lineup.

The first major mistake was when Siberski was taken off and Ameobi was put on, it wasn't working having an AM/FC playing so he brought on a 3rd out and out striker as his replacement. Martins was moved out to the right wing, a position totally unfamiliar to him and unsurprisingly for the rest of the game was not seen. He was however not involved much all game, apart from a few knocks and headers. Roeder should have brought N'Zogbia on and moved Milner to the right, N'zogbia to the left and have Dyer and Emre in the middle, since Emre was playing the holding role anyway.

The injury to Emre is what finished us off to be honest, that was when practically all of the players were playing out of position and where I think Dyer's evening turned from an average performance to a shit performance. He didnt know what he was doing in the defensive role. When Emre got injured I probably would have brought Oneyewu on for him, taken Owen (to be safe) or Martins off for N'zogbia and gone with Milner left, Solano right, Dyer and N'Zogbia in the middle with one of Bramble, Taylor or Oneyewu at full back.

Overall I think what cost us the game was Roeder, his choice of lineup, his decisions of where to play players during the game and his substitutions. Admitedly the players were poor but when practically a whole team of players is playing a disjointed formation and out of position, you arent going to see much in the way of a performance from them.

Guest magpies_rawk

what is worrying is our lack of belief to come back after going one goal down. while some teams are able to fight back or at least show some attacking intent after going one goal down, we just lay down and allow teams to roll over us.

Complete lack of character and a sign that the manager really isn't getting his message across effectively enough.

Harper 5 - He makes Given look like Jonny Wilkinson with his kicking.

Solano 5 - Nightmare against Shorey & Hunt

Carr 6 - Bailed us out a few times

Bramble 4 - Bye-bye Titus

Taylor 6 - Along with Carr, just about kept us together

Milner 6 - Poor crossing, but at least ran at the full-backs

Dyer 4 - Shocking

Emre 5 - Didn't dominate the midfield...but expecting a 5'4" creative midfielder as the man in the holding-role just about sums Roeder up

(Ameobi 5 - Should have scored)

Sibierski 5 - A few decent throughballs but poor

(N'Zogbia 4 - Poor, added nothing to the side)

Martins 5 - Hold up play poor, missed a sitter

Owen 6 - Bright start, some clever runs, faded out in the end

what on earth did roeder say to them at half time ???

had a fantastically devasting effect on the performance

"We've all heard the rumours in the papers lads, don't worry, I'm going nowhere"

depressingly funny!

And why is the defence ALWAYS so deep? Not just tonight, the two cb's are fucking about 20-30 yards behind where they should be, i've always noticed it and it always means we're caught on the break. Fuck sake.

The fact Gunnalson and Micheal fucking Duberry put us to shame sums it up.

Guest Geordiesned

I think saying that players should never play for the club again and that players are a disgrace to the shirt on the back of a bad performance is a little extreme.

It's hardly on the back of one bad performance though is it? Dyer is a fucking waste of space and has been for a long time. He's got no heart at all. Bramble has been making ridiculous mistakes for 5 or 6 years at this club and will NEVER be a good defender because of it.

Guest magpies_rawk

And why is the defence ALWAYS so deep? Not just tonight, the two cb's are f****** about 20-30 yards behind where they should be, i've always noticed it and it always means we're caught on the break. f*** sake.

The fact Gunnalson and Micheal f****** Duberry put us to shame sums it up.

correct me if i'm wrong but shouldn't defending deeper mean that you are less vulnerable to the counter?

martins was terrible 2 day so so ball greedy a shamble to the number 9 shirt,dyer captain!!! usless peice os crap cant passa ball to save his life!!!!!

shouldn't get too personal...most of our players couldn't do likewise tonight. only taylor and milner can hold their heads up high today. oh and solano too...

Thought Carr did well again at left back and deserves to be devoid of criticism tonight.... and i am most certainly one of his critics.

Credit where due though. he is a much better left back than right back

And why is the defence ALWAYS so deep? Not just tonight, the two cb's are f****** about 20-30 yards behind where they should be, i've always noticed it and it always means we're caught on the break. f*** sake.

The fact Gunnalson and Micheal f****** Duberry put us to shame sums it up.

correct me if i'm wrong but shouldn't defending deeper mean that you are less vulnerable to the counter?

Perhaps, but it means that you're giving the other side far too much space.

Harper: 6 : Didn't have much to do but made one or two silly short passes and was a bit slow with his clearances

Solano: 6 : Didn't command the right side enough. His positioning wasn't good for their goal. I think he had an off day

Bramble: 5 : More SILLY mistakes there he was lucky not to get punished for...Had some good clearing headers though...

Taylor: 7.5 : Our best player at the back...Did alright

Carr: 6.5 : had a good game...Another better(ish) display from him being not in his natural  position on the left

Milner: 7.5 : Battled hard and was one of the few who showed determination to make something happen...Got tired towards the last 10 minutes...

Emre: 6 : Okish display...Seen better from him before...Need to be more consistent with his passing

Dyer: 4.5 : Rubbish display and a rubbish captain as well...Worst Newcastle player on the field tonight. Lost the ball many times without any attempt of getting it back...No tracking back when under attack and his attacking display was not existant...Worst game for him this season IMHO

Sibierski: 6 : Didn't have much effect...Had a couple of shots on traget but were weak and I still think he is too slow and doesn't climb enough to be a target man considering his height...

Owen: 6.5 : Good to see him back...Reminded us in the first half of what we have missed all season. His sharp instincts were there to see and had a disallowed goal for offside in the first few minutes of the game (rightly so)...Got tired towards the end understandably but was good to see him finish 95+ minutes without any sign of injury problem...

Martins: 6 : Didn't do enough for me tonight...Ineffective and lost the ball a number of times. Missed few good header chances in front of the goal...

Subs:

N'Zogbia: 5.5 : Rusty and showed lack of confidence...Completely not the same player we saw last season...A shadow of his last season display...Bad crossing and not much dribbling and forward attacking moves that we have come to expect from this talented youngster...Disappointing season...

Amobi: 5.5 : Good to see him back. He gives us a bit of arial presence in the opposition penatly area but still hasn't learned how to stay on side and not to give silly foules with everytime he gets the chance to have the ball...Hope he does better in the remaining games...

Man of the match: None of our players were man enough to deserve any special mention...but if I have to pick one then Milner would the one. He just showed a bit more determination and drive than the rest tonight...

Reading are absolutely gash btw.

I've said it before and I'll say it again- they will plummet like a stone next season ala Wigan.

Duberry and John Oster ffs, they weren't good enough for the Prem ten years ago

Here Here

Duberry is usually good for an own goal every other game. Shameful that these shoudl outclass us