Reading 1-0 Newcastle United - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

Guest magpies_rawk

martins was terrible 2 day so so ball greedy a shamble to the number 9 shirt,dyer captain!!! usless peice os crap cant passa ball to save his life!!!!!

shouldn't get too personal...most of our players couldn't do likewise tonight. only taylor and milner can hold their heads up high today. oh and solano too...

Thought Carr did well again at left back and deserves to be devoid of criticism tonight.... and i am most certainly one of his critics.

Credit where due though. he is a much better left back than right back

defensively decent enough...but barely...offered no attacking threat whatsoever and was wasteful when he ventured up occasionally.

I think saying that players should never play for the club again and that players are a disgrace to the shirt on the back of a bad performance is a little extreme.

It's hardly on the back of one bad performance though is it? Dyer is a f****** waste of space and has been for a long time. He's got no heart at all. Bramble has been making ridiculous mistakes for 5 or 6 years at this club and will NEVER be a good defender because of it.

I was more referring to a comment earlier about Martins, but I dont agree with you about Dyer either though, I don't think he played particularly badly until he was asked to play DM when he didnt have a clue what he was doing and then was shit. He's not on blistering form but he isn't a waste of space. I don't know what other teams forum members are like and whether they are the same as on here but it seems that when a player hits a bad patch they are finished and should never play again, there is no patience.

And why is the defence ALWAYS so deep? Not just tonight, the two cb's are f****** about 20-30 yards behind where they should be, i've always noticed it and it always means we're caught on the break. f*** sake.

The fact Gunnalson and Micheal f****** Duberry put us to shame sums it up.

correct me if i'm wrong but shouldn't defending deeper mean that you are less vulnerable to the counter?

If the whole defence (ie not just the 2 cb's like in our case) and the midfield are adjusted and rerady to break their necks to get back then yes.

However when the two full backs are out wide (probably standing static) and we lose the ball, are wafer thin midfield are nowhere to be seen, this is when the two centre backs should step in and close the space down, but they don't, they back off, the ball is played in the space between them and the fullback and we're fucked, any team with a decent manager would see this and exploit it, which Reading did.

Reading are absolutely gash btw.

I've said it before and I'll say it again- they will plummet like a stone next season ala Wigan.

Duberry and John Oster ffs, they weren't good enough for the Prem ten years ago

Here Here

Duberry is usually good for an own goal every other game. Shameful that these shoudl outclass us

Let's not go overboard. They did anything but outclass us. We still had by far and away the more clearcut chances.

What an absolute load of s**** ...again! How can Roeder continue to be paid by Newcastle United? The man is so far out of his depth it's unbelievable. As for Nigel Pearson, what the f*** was he doing having a lie down?? He should have been on the touchline screaming instructions to try and sort out the mess.

f*** off now Roeder and take Dyer and Bramble with you. A lot of very poor performances tonight but I've had enough of those 3 useless twats!

On separate note, how much of a pedantic w****** is Rob Styles?!

Absolutely spot on... what the hell was all that about ????

Spot-on tactics from Roeder in the first half. 58% possesion and we clearly looked the better team. Sibierski worked a lot and won a good few headers. A few individual errors made us look shaky at the back.

Second half we looked very poor. Terrible for the goal, first from Dyer then horrific defending from Bramble losing his man forcing Nobby to lose his man.

We got even worse when Emre had to leave the pitch. He's such a good little player, we need to keep hold of him.

Guest magpies_rawk

I think saying that players should never play for the club again and that players are a disgrace to the shirt on the back of a bad performance is a little extreme.

It's hardly on the back of one bad performance though is it? Dyer is a f****** waste of space and has been for a long time. He's got no heart at all. Bramble has been making ridiculous mistakes for 5 or 6 years at this club and will NEVER be a good defender because of it.

I was more referring to a comment earlier about Martins, but I dont agree with you about Dyer either though, I don't think he played particularly badly until he was asked to play DM when he didnt have a clue what he was doing and then was s***. He's not on blistering form but he isn't a waste of space. I don't know what other teams forum members are like and whether they are the same as on here but it seems that when a player hits a bad patch they are finished and should never play again, there is no patience.

nobody's seriously calling for martin's head though? i believe that in dyer's case, he has the baggage of shit from the past hanging on his shoulders. its almost as if he owes it to us to perform like stevie g week in week out, so fair enough.

that being said, from an objective point of view, can u name me one aspect of his game which is better than average other than his pace and stamina?

What an absolute load of s**** ...again! How can Roeder continue to be paid by Newcastle United? The man is so far out of his depth it's unbelievable. As for Nigel Pearson, what the f*** was he doing having a lie down?? He should have been on the touchline screaming instructions to try and sort out the mess.

f*** off now Roeder and take Dyer and Bramble with you. A lot of very poor performances tonight but I've had enough of those 3 useless twats!

On separate note, how much of a pedantic w****** is Rob Styles?!

Absolutely spot on... what the hell was all that about ????

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that.

northern monkey said

Roeder is the worst mamager in the league, but you won't be able to see that will you, what with your 'little problem'.

Please feel free to put YOUR opinions down, instead of just bleating on about mine like a little pussy. Good luck with that.

i say roeder is better than aboutr half the managers who started in this division this season,he isn't great,he isn't the answer but he isn't as bad as yo rant on........there,my opinion....would you rather have pearce,boothroyd,coleman,pardew,curbishley etc

Curbishley is 1000 X better than Roeder...

Guest Knightrider

And why is the defence ALWAYS so deep? Not just tonight, the two cb's are f****** about 20-30 yards behind where they should be, i've always noticed it and it always means we're caught on the break. f*** sake.

The fact Gunnalson and Micheal f****** Duberry put us to shame sums it up.

correct me if i'm wrong but shouldn't defending deeper mean that you are less vulnerable to the counter?

Defending deep is something teams do when they aren't fully organised or know how to work the off-side trap which our team obviously don't. Basically its an admission of not having a clue.

And why is the defence ALWAYS so deep? Not just tonight, the two cb's are fucking about 20-30 yards behind where they should be, i've always noticed it and it always means we're caught on the break. Fuck sake.

The fact Gunnalson and Micheal fucking Duberry put us to shame sums it up.

Absolutely - the fact that offsides were 7-1 tells it's own story. They were intelligent and organised, we were... us :rolleyes:

And magpies_rawk in theory defending deeper makes you less vulnerable to the counter, if everyone is on the same page, in a solid zonal defence but considering we have two out-of-position fullbacks and one dopey lump at centre half we have something of a Catch-22 - defend deep and give them space to attack into, or play shallow and risk fucking the offside trap up

northern monkey said

Roeder is the worst mamager in the league, but you won't be able to see that will you, what with your 'little problem'.

Please feel free to put YOUR opinions down, instead of just bleating on about mine like a little pussy. Good luck with that.

i say roeder is better than aboutr half the managers who started in this division this season,he isn't great,he isn't the answer but he isn't as bad as yo rant on........there,my opinion....would you rather have pearce,boothroyd,coleman,pardew,curbishley etc

Let's not go mental, like.

Guest magpies_rawk

northern monkey said

that'd mean curbs gets a managerial rating of  - 1000, 000, 000?

Been fucking ages since I've done these:

STARTING ELEVEN

Harper - 4 - His kicking is fucking atrocious and he inspires no confidence whatsoever - and why the fuck does he take about 30 seconds for every goalkick? Even at home and when we're 1-0 down away (tonight)? I'm starting to get a real dislike for the flappy-handed porkster. Come back soon, Shay.

Solano - 6 - Lots of fouls that he got away with and his "wand" was yet again a bit faulty. Still wasn't anywhere near being the worst player on the pitch and he should have been the captain.

Carr - 6 - Didn't do a lot wrong and got up and down the flank like a fat trojan. Still susceptible to getting skinned by anyone who is faster than a slightly speedy snail and won't ever change, but he's been impressive lately in a dodgy position.

Bramble - 3 - Dear me, he was back to his comical "best" at times tonight and it's got to the stage where I simply laugh when he makes a rick. His best one was the "pass" that almost put Doyle in at 1-0. Aside from the errors he wasn't too bad, but he made enough of them to justify such an abysmal score. Centre-halves cannot play like that at this level, sorry.

Taylor - 7 - Quite commanding in the air again and was always trying to get on the end of our typically woeful set-pieces. Quite a few instances where he was the last line of defence as all around him lost their heads. He's not as great as people say he is, but he's a lot better than anyone else we have. Impressed with him again tonight.

Dyer - 4 - Well, well, well. Things just seem to be going from bad to worse after his purple patch and he's not going to have many supporters left if he keeps these performances up. Undoubtedly to blame for the goal (what the feck was he playing at!?) and aside from a lot of probing/running (the usual) his shooting was appalling, his passing was alright and he fucking vanished after Emre went off. Liked his AZ-esque freekick, though. Disappointing otherwise.

Emre - 6 - Looked fairly good before he got injured (again) and really does have a lot of class about him. Played out of position really for the entire game but was looking, with Jimmy, like the only one who'd create anything for Owen. Did lose the ball a fair bit (as usual) but a lot of the time it's because there isn't a fucker within 25 yards of him to pass to. Fell to bits after he went off, I reckon - would have got a better mark if he'd stayed on and played like he had been.

Milner - 7 - (MOM) Always trying to make things happen, always running his bollocks off and always giving the opposition defenders something to think about. Still needs to work at his crossing and his decision making, but both should improve in time. He tries his knackers off in every single game he plays, no matter where he finds himself. He's not brilliant, he's not perfect, but he's on the right lines.

Sibierski - 6 - Was quite effective in his given role and I was impressed with his heading/passing for most of the time that he was on. Might have got a slightly better mark if he hadn't have picked the knock up/had he tracked John Oster for the goal (probably not his job, I know) but it's about as much as you can ask for an old Frenchman who we got for next to nowt. Fair play to you, as usual, Antoine.

Martins - 4 - The lad tried, I'll give him that and I can see how frustrated he gets when he makes a mistake or when things don't go his way, but nobody can deny that he was utterly awful tonight in almost every aspect of the football game. He should have scored at least one goal and had at least two gilt-edged chances, his first-touch was typically "stray", his reading of the game was appalling and he was frustrating the bollocks out of me. Still deserves credit for sticking at it and will only get better, but he was at his very worst today. The pass for Owen near the start deserves mention, though, bodes well for the future and shows he can do it. Howay man Oba, prove me wrong!

Owen - 7 - When he was involved in the game he didn't put a foot wrong and showed Martins exactly what we're looking for, I reckon. He was buzzing around all over, barely gave the ball away, won his share of corners and had the Reading defence on the back foot whenever the ball so much as went near to him. I was massively impressed with him after how long he's been out for and he proved tonight that class is actually permanent. If he can stay fit he will be brilliant here and tonight he's moved up in my estimation. Faded towards the end as the legs went, but should never have been left on.

SUBS

Ameobi - 5 - Aye Shola, you're not match-fit and so we'll let you off with that sitter you missed and the few times you completely made a bollocks of whatever you were trying to do.

N'Zogbia - 5 - Pointless introduction really and was exactly how he normally is. Confidence has vanished from his game, his left foot has become a sand-wedge and he wasn't really playing anywhere in particular. Couple of decent passes, like.

MANAGER

Roeder - 6 - Not sure what else he could have done from the outset and we looked bright in the first half, although it was always obvious that if we didn't score then we'd get beaten by a goal from a mistake. I said as much after about 35 mintues when we started to run out of ideas. The formation/selection didn't look a bad one, certainly, until we lost Emre/Sibierski and he probably shouldn't have left Owen on for so long (but none of us can know how fit Mickey was/is). As much as I dislike the Birdman, I'm not sure I can be too angry at him here from the outset. The second half got utterly embarrassing though, that's when you need your manager. We looked like a school team and we had absolutely no ideas of how to get back on level terms. He didn't look like he was giving any instructions whenever the camera was on him, either. Meh. The more we lose the more chance there is of him going, I suppose...

ASSISTANT MANAGER

Pearson - CUNT - That is all O0 ;D

Harper 5 - It makes me sad that we make a decent enough keeper play in the same team as Shambles.

Solano 4 - Not a good game. But better than Shambles.

Carr 5 - Less shite than normal, still has to go. Better than Shambles, despite being on the wrong side and thew wrong foot, and shit.

Bramble 3 - Talent? Potential? Pace? Tackling? Get to fuck, you useless stupid fat monkey.

Taylor 7 - Best defender again. A genuine talent, soon to be riuned by Roeder. Immeasurably better than Shambles.

Milner 6 - Stop taking corners. Caused a few problems for the full back, but on the wrong side, again. Better defender than Shambles.

Dyer 4 - You are not a great player, you are nto a captain, and you have no place at this club. Please feel free to actually have whatever made-up disease you claim to have for sympathy. Shambles Mk2.

Emre 5 - Out of position (as 4 or 5 others were over the course of this game). Never plays that well when we are under the cosh, it seems. At least he's not Shambles

(Ameobi 4 - touch of a (debutant) rapist. A striking Shamles.

Sibierski 5 - Not a good enough player, but at least he gets in the right positions. Betterdefending than Shambles.

(N'Zogbia 3 - nowt to say, except its probably Shambles' fault)

Martins 5 - Not a good game, not the finished article by a long shot. Faster than Shambles.

Owen 6 - Impressive return, but should be able to beat  ateam like Reading's offside trap more comprehensively. Hopefully this will come as he gets sharp again. The opposite of Shambles - talented, quick, able, not a useless stupid fat monkey.

Roeder 2 - Get to fuck. Worst manager in the league. Shambles of a manager.

I was more referring to a comment earlier about Martins, but I dont agree with you about Dyer either though, I don't think he played particularly badly until he was asked to play DM when he didnt have a clue what he was doing and then was s***. He's not on blistering form but he isn't a waste of space. I don't know what other teams forum members are like and whether they are the same as on here but it seems that when a player hits a bad patch they are finished and should never play again, there is no patience.

nobody's seriously calling for martin's head though? i believe that in dyer's case, he has the baggage of s*** from the past hanging on his shoulders. its almost as if he owes it to us to perform like stevie g week in week out, so fair enough.

that being said, from an objective point of view, can u name me one aspect of his game which is better than average other than his pace and stamina?

When he's on form I think he is very good at running at players and beating his man. He showed when he returned from injury that he can find the net as well. He is good at opening teams up, only problem with him however is where to play him. I think everyone is performing way under par under Roeder apart from maybe Milner, and we'll only see players shine when a manager comes in that knows what he is doing. I don't particularly like Allardyce but he could certainly do a lot for us and bring the best out of players such as Dyer.

Guest magpies_rawk

When you play two quick strikers like Owen & Martins, you're going to have your fair share of offsides tbh.

not necessarily, dependent on the off the ball runs of the strikers, link up play between them and of course, the defensive discipline of the opposition.

Harper 5 - Average

Solano 5 - Average

Carr 6 - One of his better games...which says a lot

Bramble 2 - Sh!teus Shambles, bags packed yet? Off you go son.

Taylor 7 - A solid performances. Can't do everthing himself, resuced Bramble several times

Milner 6 - Not as good as he has been, but not bad

Dyer 2 - What did this joker do tonight, and why the f*ck was he captain? Christ on a bike. Nearly gifted them a goal thanks to him playing an atrocious ball to nowhere. Dyer by name, Dire by nature.

Emre 5 - Annonymous but no worse than others

(Ameobi 6 - Had a couple of chances, first game back after a lengthy injury, can't expect too much)

Sibierski 5 - See Emre

(N'Zogbia 4 - Didn't do much at all)

Martins 5 - Average tonight, I think he could have done a bit better with some chances

Owen 6 - Good to see him back, and he appears to have come through the full 90 unscathed. Like Shola, he had a few opportunities and you can't expect miracles from him straight away after such a long time out.

nobody's seriously calling for martin's head though? i believe that in dyer's case, he has the baggage of s*** from the past hanging on his shoulders. its almost as if he owes it to us to perform like stevie g week in week out, so fair enough.

When he's on form I think he is very good at running at players and beating his man. He showed when he returned from injury that he can find the net as well. He is good at opening teams up, only problem with him however is where to play him. I think everyone is performing way under par under Roeder apart from maybe Milner, and we'll only see players shine when a manager comes in that knows what he is doing. I don't particularly like Allardyce but he could certainly do a lot for us and bring the best out of players such as Dyer.

Yet historically his goals and assists figures are poor.

He has little end product, just runs fast with the ball. Very, very average.

Harper 4 - Dodgy given he didn't have a lot to do in the way of saves or deep crosses. Can't think of a lot he did right in all honesty.

Solano 5 - Left two on one way too often. One of his poorer games.

Carr 5 - Backed off way too much but saved us on a couple of occasions.

Bramble 3 - All over the place for 90 minutes. Shat himself whenever the ball came near him.

Taylor 6 - Our best defender, but that's not saying a lot. Didn't do a lot wrong.

Milner 6 - Tried harder than anyone, though his delivery was off today.

Dyer 2 - Spent a lot of the game playing very deep and was very uncomfortable there. Cost us the game when he hesitated on the ball and did it two or three times after which left us holding our breaths. He needs to be on the right wing, I've said it all along.

Emre 5 - Had defensive duties before coming off and like Dyer looked uncomfortable there, though he wasn't caught in possession nearly as much. A couple of misplaced passes and an injury made it a frustrating game for him, but he showed more intent than most others.

Ameobi 5 - Got in scoring positions ... but wasted a brilliant chance to equalise.

Sibierski 4 - Fought hard but he just isn't good enough.

N'Zogbia 4 - Lacklustre would be the word. Looks like he's seriously lacking in confidence and match-practise.

Martins 4 - Great ball to Owen for the offside goal, but disappeared for most of the game and missed a couple of decent heading opportunities.

Owen 6 - Started brightly, fought for every ball and showed his intelligent running and composure to slot home in the opening minutes. Caught offside too often and faded badly in the second half.

Guest magpies_rawk

Yet historically his goals and assists figures are poor.

He has little end product, just runs fast with the ball. Very, very average.

if he's pure pace without an end product, he should ideally function best on the bench. but the next best scenario would be the middle of the park where he can make those "bursting runs". question is, who's gonna provide the killer passes?

The defence were bad once again but the attack was not much better. Barely played with commitment or determination. Reading quite fighting and deserved their win. We deserved nowt. They aren't playing for the club anymore or for the manager.

I think Roeder's lost the dressing room. And N'Zogbia? hate to say it but his career here is over. He was shit tonight, kept losing the ball whenever he touched it and offered nothing to the game.