Reading 1-0 Newcastle United - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

I just remembered we had one very inventive Free Kick but Dyer ballsed it up with the ball across coupled with the fact there was 5 blue and white shirts to every 1 black and white one in the box. Pity the 3 players over the ball wer the only ones that knew what was going to happen

Harper 5 - Too slow to kick when closed down, resulting in poor distribution. Not quick enough to get us going again towards the end either.

Solano 5 - Struggled all night.

Carr 6 - Not bad going back, not good enough going forward.

Bramble 4 - All over the place.

Taylor 6 - Best of a bad bunch at the back.

Milner 6 - Tried and tried, usual mixed bag of crosses.

Dyer 4 - Gave the ball away far too many times, including for the goal. Lazy, lazy, lazy performance all-round.

Emre 5 - Tried, but his radar was fucked tonight.

(Ameobi 4 - Pants. Missed a easy header, poor control, offside too much. Not good.)

Sibierski 6 - Not bad I didn't think. At least held the ball up alright. Missed when he left the pitch.

(N'Zogbia 4 - Different player to last season, i'm sure of it.)

Martins 5 - Worked his socks off, but as is worryingly common, it just didn't happen for him.

Owen 6 - Impressive return all things considered, nice movement and keen to get in to score. Fucked after an hour though. Nice one Glenn.

Another piss-poor second half collapse, woeful. I feel robbed, if only of my time.

First-half diagnosis?

50 - 50

Second-half diagnosis?

50 - 50. Once Emre is off Dyer is forced to control (which he failed) large chunk of midfield as both Zoggy and Milner are line huggin wingers.

Full-time diagnosis?

We should forgive Roeder as he has rightly pointed out that, we can only judge him after he got his own squad. Well Owen, Ameobi are not his players, right?

Star man for United?

No one stood out.

Worst United player?

No one in particular.

Opposition comment?

The gulf of class between Newcastle United players and Reading players is so evident. (Kitson, Doyle vs Martins, Owen; Oster vs Emre etc; Yet Reading played as a coherent team and played with a working plan. Reading seems to have an infinity of central defenders. Duberry has done well since Januray. So as Bikey since summer. Yet both are only replacements for the injured Sonko. Sodje is doing well on loan at West Brom too. And Leon Barnett is rumoured to arrive this summer. Will they miss Sidwell? Not much it seems.

Toon-pros?

Stephen Carr now seems a solid left back. Hopefully this won't mean that Roeder wouldn't seek a new left back in the summer. Owen is back. There is chemistry between Owen and Martins, though it is far and between.

Toon-cons?

All attackers bar Duff - Martins, Owen, Sibierski, Ameobi, Milner, Zoggy, Dyer, Emre are used yet we are still clueless. Roeder, are you ever going to shoulder the responsibility?

Post-match feelings?

I wanted Newcastle United to win as usual. But at times I can't help but hope we lost if it means Roeder would be replaced by someone else.

Dyer 2 - Spent a lot of the game playing very deep and was very uncomfortable there. Cost us the game when he hesitated on the ball and did it two or three times after which left us holding our breaths. He needs to be on the right wing, I've said it all along.

He was supposed to be on the right wing in the first half, but he kept coming inside and played as an inside right instead of on the wing. At first I thought it was indiscipline but after Roeder's quotes about him coming inside (with his tacit approval) one can only assume he has free reign to do what he likes...

We lost to a very ordinary side tonight. There was plenty of space to exploit so there can't be any excuses.

Dyer and Bramble played like they'd rather be somewhere else.

Sib played surprisingly well in midfield. Taylor looked very solid again.

After all the subs in the second half, we lost our shape completely. It's a good job we weren't playing a better side, because we'd have been thumped.

Martins was poor, but with Owen there he has to go a bit deeper, and he just doesn't have the ball control to do that effectively. At least half a dozen times he lost the ball under no pressure at all. I hope Roeder doesn't try to get out of the selection dilemma by trying to play Shola, Martins and Owen together, because it didn't look at all good.

In the end, though, we had enough chances to get a draw. That's how poor Reading were.

Guest eyeball_tickler

ive just remembered about sibierski's arm injury, it looked rather bad so his season will probably be over.

Ratings of Football Players of Newcastle United for Monday the Thirtieth of April Two Thousand and Seven:

Harper - 4 - Chop my fucking legs off and I'll still probably kick a ball better than this frustrating CHEBMONSTER.

Solano - 5 - Boldly AVERAGE peruvian performance. More flair needed, and maybe a new hairstyle.

Carr - 7 - This FAT little fucker has eaten far too many steak pies*. Decent display. (super head shine bonus point)

Bramble - 10 - Pompously HILARIOUS. Probably the most consistently entertaining comedy show I have EVER seen on television. EMMY award standards.

Taylor - 6 - Rock solid and pretty damn HEFTY. Hair needs a trim, one point deducted.

Dyer - 2 - Obviously ran out of Bling-Power-Energy-Boost™ early on. Feed him more gold chains before kick off next week mates.

Emre - 5 - Typical Turkish performance. Hair analysis: GREASY.

Milner - 7 - Impressively ineffective, but just so DAMN handsome. (beauty bonus point)

Sibierski - 6 - Shiny headed bald lanky-bastard ruler of the WORLD*. An absolute SULTAN display in the midfield by his standards.

Martins - 6 - Poor, but so FUNNY when he gets frustrated. Almost adorable, even. Bonus points for that.

Owen - 1 - My girlfriend said he looked SEXIER than ever. Mass jealousy point deductions. I'm told he has a TINY PENIS* anyway.

* - Unsubstantiated rumours/guesses; please don't sue newcastle-online.com for libel and/or slander.

I thought the team mirrored the effort put into the match by the management team.  Wtf  was Pearson doing, was he going to sleep??  It looked to me as if he was saying "Well that's me done, we can't win.  I'm going to doss down for a bit".

There was no passion from Roeder, no drive, no encouragement, nothing.  Just a look of resignation that said the match was gone, maybe the job was gone, maybe both.

Owen looked fine but why keep him on for the full match?  He should have had an hour, 70 minutes at tops. Overall,  I thought most of the players were poor but half didn't look as though they knew what their role on the pitch was.  They could have done better, some could have done a lot better, but Roeder and Pearson should be ashamed of their contribution tonight imo.

Guest Jonny4Toon

My NUFC ratings for the match

Steve Harper - 4 - Starting to really dislike him. Kicking was atrocious. Takes far too long on goal kicks. Come back soon Shay!

Nolberto Solano -5 - Beginning to think we need a right-back. Some generally bad defending from Nobby tonight.

Steven Taylor - 7 - Has a big future ahead of him. Defended for the whole back-line. Brilliant season he has had.

Titus Bramble - 2 - Bye Bye Titus. We will never be taken seriously with him in our defence - Simple as that.

Stephen Carr - 5 - Too old and past it. Can't run anymore. No purpose or effort and a general lack of defending.

James Milner - 7 - Probably his worst performace this season and he still gets my man of the match.

Emre Belozoglu - 5 - Can't see why he is in the team. Never scores and never creates anything.

Antoine Sibierski - 4 - Not good enough. Back-up player at best. Can't hold on to the ball even though that's what his job is.

Kieron Dyer - 3 - Captain + On the left + Diamond = Rubbish + lazy + lethargic + couldn't care less. Dyer OUT!!!

Obafemi Martins - 4 - His worst performance this season.

Michael Owen - 6 - A promising return for Michael. Worked his bollocks off and looked sharp.

SUBS:

Charles N'Zogbia - 4 - How a player can change so dramatically in 1 season is a mystery to me.

Shola Ameobi - 5 - Looked rusty but will get his fitness back. Should've really scored.

So in general Milner (MOM), Taylor and Owen worked their socks off. As usual alot of people heep praise on Milner and Taylor wehich is not surprising as they are the only two that look like doing anything in our team. For all his talent I think Martins will eventually come good and we shall see the best of him next season. Owen looked promising but next season we hopefully will get a full season out of him. Sibierski, Emre, Dyer, Carr, Bramble and Harper are just not up to it for me and should be gone as soon as possible!!!

The way Roeder booted off down the tunnel was/wasn't good, depending on how you view it. Nice.

Easy reason to have a bite, but you contrast that with Billy Davies yesterday.

His side played ABSOLUTELY DIABOLICALLY SHITE, much like ours did, and yet he spent ATLEAST five minutes, going over to the supporters (who'd been fucking awesome all afternoon, like ours, we outsung them tbh) - and applauding them till he was pink in the face.

Like i say, easy thing to have a go at, but these things count.

The way Roeder booted off down the tunnel was/wasn't good, depending on how you view it. Nice.

Blimey. Maybe he was going to give the players a jolly good talking to. I've heard that he doesn't like to unleash the beast, but will read the riot act when required: i.e. every other match so far this season.

Easy reason to have a bite, but you contrast that with Billy Davies yesterday.

His side played ABSOLUTELY DIABOLICALLY SHITE, much like ours did, and yet he spent ATLEAST five minutes, going over to the supporters (who'd been fucking awesome all afternoon, like ours, we outsung them tbh) - and applauding them till he was pink in the face.

Like i say, easy thing to have a go at, but these things count.

I thought he could have at least shown them some thanks for travelling down on a Monday night to witness that surrender.

was it just me or was owen clearly f***ed after 70 minutes?

I would say that had more to do with the breakdown of the rest of the team, tbh. He's an out-and-out striker, so if he's not getting good balls put into him, he's not going to be in it.