Defensive midfielders

bodson

Coloccini for £2,7 would still be a bargain

never heard of him  :undecided:

Argentinian international. 26 caps.

Very good player who has fallen out with his current club (deportivo) and is probably going to get sold this summer. We tried to get him this winter, but we wouldnt give more than 1,5 I think it was... He is a defender though, not a defensive midfielder. We could raid Depor for him, Duscher and Andrade. That would be quality!

A kind of Heinze guy. ''Mad'' player who gives 100% every time, fans of other clubs hates him, and fans of his club love him because of his tough style.

Would have to do something about his hair though:

http://www.pilkanozna.pl/fotki/2006/ms2006/zawodnicy/argentyna/coloccini_g_280x210.jpg

And it was actually worse last time I saw him.  :D

I believe we'll definitly get one in if Butt goes to the mackems...

Proven players who have the attributes to make it in the premiership:

- Jean Il Makoun - Lille

- Stephen Appiah - Fenerbahce

- Fabricio Coloccini - Deportivo

- Yaya Toure - Monaco (?)

- Rio Mavuba - Bordeux (Might be a little short)

- Papa Bouba Diop - Fulham

Any of these would be fantastic in the

??

Barton            Emre

system

Guest nufcandy

I believe we'll definitly get one in if Butt goes to the mackems...

Proven players who have the attributes to make it in the premiership:

- Jean Il Makoun - Lille

- Stephen Appiah - Fenerbahce

- Fabricio Coloccini - Deportivo

- Yaya Toure - Monaco (?)

- Rio Mavuba - Bordeux (Might be a little short)

- Papa Bouba Diop - Fulham

Any of these would be fantastic in the

??

Barton            Emre

system

definately think butt will stay like, didnt think he was linked to the makems!

Hopefully Alou Diarra will be coming to us soon ...

Diarra sows deal doubts    Tue, Jun 19 2007 17:31

Portsmouth target Alou Diarra wants Newcastle to make a firm bid for him as Harry Redknapp closes on agreeing a fee for the Lyon star. 

The French international midfielder would reportedly prefer to move to St James' Park and has ordered his representatives to sound out Sam Allardyce.

But the Toon boss, who is an admirer of Diarra, now has other priorities after completing the capture of Joey Barton and may not be able to move quickly enough.

Lyon and Portsmouth are close to settling on a £5.5 million fee for Diarra, who made only a handful of appearances under Gerard Houllier last season.

New Lyon coach Alain Perrin is not expected to stand in the way of Diarra's exit, having seen his club snap up Lille playmaker Mathieu Bodmer last week.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/news_details.aspx?story_id=584706&l_id=1&t_id=52

I know that story from EatSleep is probably rubbish but the likes of Diarra would be a perfect addition because we are crying out for some height in the centre of the park and he certainly has "Allardyce" written all over him (no tattoo jokes please). I know people want us to play attractive football and perhaps aren't keen on us signing "big lads" because of a perceived lack of that sort of ability for them, but having somebody capable of winning the battle in the middle of the park on the deck and in the air would be a massive boon for the more "flair" style players in our line-up and would probably enable us to play better football in the grand scheme of things. It would also be magic to see us not getting bullied to death every term by the likes of Bolton, Everton and the other "physical" teams in the league. In my eyes, we only have three central midfielders at this club at the moment in Barton, Butt and Emre and none of them have any physical presence about them - plus I'm not overly enamoured with Butt being an automatic starter anyway, so signing a bloke like Diarra would thrill me. You could obviously vouch for Dyer being in there and perhaps he might flourish in this proposed 4-3-3 thing that people are predicting we'll play (can't see it myself unless Martins and Owen both leave), but either way we're still short in the middle of the park.

We do need another defensive midfielder whether Butt stays or goes if Big Sam's "two players for every position" thing is to be upheld and I reckon it'd be ideal if we signed a lad who can play a bit and would also offer us an option from set pieces at both ends of the field - something we've missed really badly since Speed left. I'm not sure how happy I'd be heading into the season with a small 'keeper, two proposed 5'9" fullbacks like Sagna and Baines and a dwarf-like midfield ahead of them. I know height isn't the be-all and end-all, but it's a fairly important factor in our league and it's been a major achilles heel for us for years now. I'm like a broken record with this, but I'm determined to see us sign some powerful players. Amady Faye did not count by the way, because he was utter toss.

Another thing with Diarra is that he's a winner and that's the sort of mentality we look like we're after.

That Guy is an animal.

Think id prefer Appiah over the Diarra linked though! Shant turn my nose up at either, but probably unlikely we will sign them. Like James mentions Rozehnal played DM for PSG for half of last season, so with Butt and he, we should be covered.

Could do with maybe one more CM though with the amount Emre is out injured.

I know that story from EatSleep is probably rubbish but the likes of Diarra would be a perfect addition because we are crying out for some height in the centre of the park and he certainly has "Allardyce" written all over him (no tattoo jokes please). I know people want us to play attractive football and perhaps aren't keen on us signing "big lads" because of a perceived lack of that sort of ability for them, but having somebody capable of winning the battle in the middle of the park on the deck and in the air would be a massive boon for the more "flair" style players in our line-up and would probably enable us to play better football in the grand scheme of things. It would also be magic to see us not getting bullied to death every term by the likes of Bolton, Everton and the other "physical" teams in the league. In my eyes, we only have three central midfielders at this club at the moment in Barton, Butt and Emre and none of them have any physical presence about them - plus I'm not overly enamoured with Butt being an automatic starter anyway, so signing a bloke like Diarra would thrill me. You could obviously vouch for Dyer being in there and perhaps he might flourish in this proposed 4-3-3 thing that people are predicting we'll play (can't see it myself unless Martins and Owen both leave), but either way we're still short in the middle of the park.

We do need another defensive midfielder whether Butt stays or goes if Big Sam's "two players for every position" thing is to be upheld and I reckon it'd be ideal if we signed a lad who can play a bit and would also offer us an option from set pieces at both ends of the field - something we've missed really badly since Speed left. I'm not sure how happy I'd be heading into the season with a small 'keeper, two proposed 5'9" fullbacks like Sagna and Baines and a dwarf-like midfield ahead of them. I know height isn't the be-all and end-all, but it's a fairly important factor in our league and it's been a major achilles heel for us for years now. I'm like a broken record with this, but I'm determined to see us sign some powerful players. Amady Faye did not count by the way, because he was utter toss.

Another thing with Diarra is that he's a winner and that's the sort of mentality we look like we're after.

agree. nice having a young player with potential who wants to join us, and I think Sam will go for him tbh

pmsl at Everton being a physical team.

Must be all those monsters in the midfield like Leon Osman.

Perhaps not so much last term (even with the fairly sizeable/powerful bunch of Howard, Anichebe, Yobo, Lescott and Beattie - plus the bite of Carsley in there when you played us - compared to Newcastle having Given, Taylor, Ramage, Sibierski and Huntington as our "big lads" and Emre as our "bite") but howay man -  for seasons Everton have kicked the shite out of us and beaten us with direct football down at Goodison. Your lot are hardly Dancing on Ice, are they?

I might have got the completely wrong impression of you's like, but I've always associated Everton with being a big, powerful team since we've been in the Premiership - especially when compared to the teams we've took down to your place recently. Never said it was a bad thing and it's worked for you against us for the past 5 seasons or something, since Acuna's finest moment at least, so I don't see the problem. Aren't Everton "physical" these days? I know you play some good stuff down there now and that the front six could hardly be classed as monsters for the vast majority of the time when everyone's fit (would be something like Johnson, Arteta, Cahill, Osman, Carsley and Fernandes last term, aye?), but even with that being said you still make our lot look like pussy cats.

And Leon Osman is bigger/as big as about four or five of our eight midfielders anyway... seriously.

Why dont you post often? You seem to make more sense than most when you do :thup:

Perhaps not so much last term (even with the fairly sizeable/powerful bunch of Howard, Anichebe, Yobo, Lescott and Beattie - plus the bite of Carsley in there when you played us - compared to Newcastle having Given, Taylor, Ramage, Sibierski and Huntington as our "big lads" and Emre as our "bite") but howay man -  for seasons Everton have kicked the s**** out of us and beaten us with direct football down at Goodison. Your lot are hardly Dancing on Ice, are they?

I might have got the completely wrong impression of you's like, but I've always associated Everton with being a big, powerful team since we've been in the Premiership - especially when compared to the teams we've took down to your place recently. Never said it was a bad thing and it's worked for you against us for the past 5 seasons or something, since Acuna's finest moment at least, so I don't see the problem. Aren't Everton "physical" these days? I know you play some good stuff down there now and that the front six could hardly be classed as monsters for the vast majority of the time when everyone's fit (would be something like Johnson, Arteta, Cahill, Osman, Carsley and Fernandes last term, aye?), but even with that being said you still make our lot look like pussy cats.

And Leon Osman is bigger/as big as about four or five of our eight midfielders anyway... seriously.

We don't play particularly good football, no, that's one of my gripes with Moyes. We usually play quite defensively. However, that doesn't necessarily mean we're a dirty team or a big and powerful side. Liverpool play the same shitty defensive football as us and have two tall strikers (which we lack) and a player like Sissoko in midfield but you wouldn't talk about them in the same way because of their media image.

You're being taken in by media bollocks if you think we are a big and powerful side or a particularly dirty one.

The entire squad is full of short players apart from the centre backs and keeper. The only athletic players we have are Yobo, Lescott and Anichebe. The only players I'd say have a physical presence are Carsley, Vaughan and Anichebe. Carsley can be quite cynical but that's his job as a DM, he's no worse than Nicky Butt for example.

Leon Osman isn't bigger than anyone btw. He's about 4ft and couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag.

Rozehnal is also a defensive midfielder.

Sam Allardyce has been known to like a player equally adept at the DM and CB positions.

The fact that he can play as a defensive midfielder suggests he's a decent footballer technically. I would prefer it if Allardyce had this kind of thinking.

If a defender gets injured Rozenhal can't fit in, if a midfielder gets injured he can do the same there. It's a better attitude to have than pissing it all away on another midfielder, even though i rate Diarra.

Perhaps not so much last term (even with the fairly sizeable/powerful bunch of Howard, Anichebe, Yobo, Lescott and Beattie - plus the bite of Carsley in there when you played us - compared to Newcastle having Given, Taylor, Ramage, Sibierski and Huntington as our "big lads" and Emre as our "bite") but howay man -  for seasons Everton have kicked the s**** out of us and beaten us with direct football down at Goodison. Your lot are hardly Dancing on Ice, are they?

We don't play particularly good football, no, that's one of my gripes with Moyes. We usually play quite defensively. However, that doesn't necessarily mean we're a dirty team or a big and powerful side. Liverpool play the same shitty defensive football as us and have two tall strikers (which we lack) and a player like Sissoko in midfield but you wouldn't talk about them in the same way because of their media image.

You're being taken in by media bollocks if you think we are a big and powerful side or a particularly dirty one.

The entire squad is full of short players apart from the centre backs and keeper. The only athletic players we have are Yobo, Lescott and Anichebe. The only players I'd say have a physical presence are Carsley, Vaughan and Anichebe. Carsley can be quite cynical but that's his job as a DM, he's no worse than Nicky Butt for example.

Leon Osman isn't bigger than anyone btw. He's about 4ft and couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag.

Give me some credit here mate. If anything, I've been taken in by what I've seen of Everton for myself over the past years, both in person and on Sky/BBC and my own perception has been that you've had a big, strong team and played particularly "strong" football for the vast majority of the time. Much like us with the shite football save for our "entertaining" years, which have been more intermittant than constant if we're being honest. Whenever I've seen us down at Goodison since the 01/02 season we've been battled to death and cheated on more than one occasion, but that could be bias talking.

Last season I was really impressed with some of the performances I saw from your lot and the likes of Neville and Arteta are players I'd actually love at Newcastle if they could do what they do for you down there, both are miles better than what we have in their roles. If you noticed, an' all, I did in a roundabout way say that last season there'd been a definite shift towards a more "refined" style of play from Everton as well, but prior to that you surely cannot tell me that you've been all peaches and cream? As for physical players: no mention of Cahill or Beattie in there? Two fairly stocky/powerful lads, by all accounts - Andy Johnson is hardly a pushover either, despite his media portrait at times. Then there's Neville/Hibbert/Valente/Naysmith who are all bigger than our fullbacks by an inch or two a piece. An inch makes the world of difference, apparently.

I think the fact you see your current squad as being "small" says it all about previous years, as well :razz:

As for Liverpool, Crouch is the obvious beanpole and Sissoko is fairly massive, but I'm fairly sure Kuyt is smaller than Anichebe and about the same size as Beattie (probably smaller actually and less beef on him as well) so that "two big strikers that we don't have" thing doesn't wash. Liverpool have never been particularly cynical/dirty when I've seen them play either, if memory serves, especially against us - whereas Everton most certainly have. Even just last season Anichebe bullied the bollocks off us.

I'm wasn't picking this out as a fault or having a dig, as I've said I'd love it if we had more brawn about us than we do, but I can't think of too many more teams who've played a more constantly bullish style of football than Everton in my admittedly fairly few years watching football. I'd like to think I'm not a media sheep, but obviously I don't see as much of Everton as you do and I'm not in as good a position to comment (save for the lack of the unavoidable bias that we all have to our teams). But it would be interesting to see other people's perceptions on this, if anyone can be arsed.

As for Leon Osman, he really is bigger than more than half of our midfielders ;D

He's been on holiday.

...And because when you do make a post, you'll get some job knockey picking one line out of it and taking about three hours of your life because you simply cannot face being proven wrong after such effort in the first place :cheesy:

He's been on holiday.

...And because when you do make a post, you'll get some job knockey picking one line out of it and taking about three hours of your life because you simply cannot face being proven wrong after such effort in the first place :cheesy:

who been having a go at you Janitor and I'll send someone round to see them......