José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

It was absolutely hilarious when Ben Arfa had him all over and then when he had to go in goal after everything he'd said, but he was absolutely right about the club and that finish was a total fluke. Mint player as well, easily the best left back I've seen play for us and that includes Beresford, Pearce, Bernard etc. He was nigh on impassable in 1 on 1 situations against most players except oddly Sturridge when he was at Bolton. Love his recover pace and link up with Colo and Jonas as well. He was sloppy in possession at times and his positioning was sometimes a bit naive when the oppossition were breaking, but his strengths far outweighed his weaknesses. Class player, absolutely loved him.

Agreed, I would probably have him back if his fitness was OK because I think his biggest problem is Rogers not liking him for some reason rather than him being finished.

It was absolutely hilarious when Ben Arfa had him all over and then when he had to go in goal after everything he'd said, but he was absolutely right about the club and that finish was a total fluke. Mint player as well, easily the best left back I've seen play for us and that includes Beresford, Pearce, Bernard etc. He was nigh on impassable in 1 on 1 situations against most players except oddly Sturridge when he was at Bolton. Love his recover pace and link up with Colo and Jonas as well. He was sloppy in possession at times and his positioning was sometimes a bit naive when the oppossition were breaking, but his strengths far outweighed his weaknesses. Class player, absolutely loved him.

Nowhere near as good as Beresford the fact he can't get anywhere near Liverpools side is tantamount to that

Nowhere near as good as Beresford the fact he can't get anywhere near Liverpools side is tantamount to that

I would guess that I am older than 65-70 percent of this forum and Beresford stopped playing for NUFC when I was 8 (though tbf, I couldn't see matches regularly until well into last decade). :lol: For many of us, Enrique is probably the best that it gets in terms of fullbacks. He was fantastic in the Championship and maintained the same level in the Premiership. It is a shame how his career has turned out, given he is not yet even 30. I find it incredible he never even made on appearance for Spain's first team.

Guest firetotheworks

Not imo. A player not getting picked by someone means nothing really. Ben Arfa couldn't get in our team because of Pardew, Wilkinson turned down signing Cantona, Keegan turned down Zidane as legend has it. History is littered with good players that managers didn't like, it's usually a much better idea to just watch a player and use your own judgement.

Guest firetotheworks
:lol: What a load of shit. A good player is a good player, it doesn't necessarily need any overriding context to quantify it. Nolan was a shit player who was very good at scoring goals in both the CCC and the PL, no one really liked him but his goals made him bearable and he was a bit of a cult hero. Jose was simply a quality player in most things that he did.

:lol: What a load of s***. A good player is a good player, it doesn't necessarily need any overriding context to quantify it. Nolan was a s*** player who was very good at scoring goals in both the CCC and the PL, no one really liked him but his goals made him bearable and he was a bit of a cult hero. Jose was simply a quality player in most things that he did.

Hasn't exactly proved that since tbh.

Guest firetotheworks

:lol: What a load of s***. A good player is a good player, it doesn't necessarily need any overriding context to quantify it. Nolan was a s*** player who was very good at scoring goals in both the CCC and the PL, no one really liked him but his goals made him bearable and he was a bit of a cult hero. Jose was simply a quality player in most things that he did.

Hasn't exactly proved that since tbh.

Again, a manager not picking a player isn't necessarily a measure of their quality. We know that more than most.

No he wasn't, Enrique was overrated because we were a shit, middle of the road team who just got promoted and we had no expectations.

Same goes for Nolan and the rest of them at the time.

I agree about the likes of Nolan but Enrique was quality. Good going forward and solid as a rock in 1-on-1 defending.

Guest firetotheworks

Beresford and Robbie Elliott were better than Enrique in my John Humble.

Beresford's understandable like, but howeh.

Don't have a problem with that really, why should he go and get paid less somewhere else?

To actually play football I would suggest.

I always liked him for us, was a decent player in a team of mediocrity.

Loved both Beresford and Enrique. Both worked well with their wingers creating proper partnerships. Despite the success of the different eras I'd have Jose coming out on top. Elliott was a clear level or two below them both.

Enrique was probably the best player at the club, along with Colo, for the two seasons prior to him leaving. Brilliant player, would absolutely have him back even after apparently losing his shit at Liverpool.