José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Enrique is an immense one on one defending full back.  His only weakness, during his prime, is his positioning during offside trap.  Other than that he is one of the best left back in the world.  Sadly his physique has gone and now, honestly, he's just shit.  Shitter than Haidara probably.

Before he left in '97 Elliott looked a real prospect I thought. Had the makings of a good attacking full back. Not sure how it all went wrong.

I reckon it was a purple patch. He was instantly pretty rubbish for Bolton. That goal at Highbury though :aww:

Maybe. Wiki has him down a scoring 9 goals for us before leaving the first time. That suggests a bit of attacking promise.

Forgot about his serious injury actually. Was quite nasty and probably played a part too.

Guest Howaythetoon

Beresford was a very good attacking LB, better than Enrique, but defensively Enrique was superb and not many got past him. I'd rate Bernard higher though of all the left-backs we've had, in terms of all-round game. Elliott was very promising especially going forward. Domi for me had the biggest potential though.

Before he left in '97 Elliott looked a real prospect I thought. Had the makings of a good attacking full back. Not sure how it all went wrong.

I reckon it was a purple patch. He was instantly pretty rubbish for Bolton. That goal at Highbury though :aww:

He broke his leg in his first game for Bolton and was never the same player, particularly as he'd already been badly injured before KK tipped up.

Maybe. Wiki has him down a scoring 9 goals for us before leaving the first time. That suggests a bit of attacking promise.

I would imagine a few of those were in midfield- the winner at Highbury certainly was.

Took Ginola's place in the team and was effectively the decision that was the difference between us finishing 4th and clinching the Champions League spot.

Beresford was a very good attacking LB, better than Enrique, but defensively Enrique was superb and not many got past him. I'd rate Bernard higher though of all the left-backs we've had, in terms of all-round game. Elliott was very promising especially going forward. Domi for me had the biggest potential though.

This. Bernard was a fucking tank but also fantastic coming forward. Real shame how Pardewed Santon got.

For those of you that don't know, only the top 2 qualified in those days. In fact that may have been the first season it was extended past the title winners.

I'm certain it was. Otherwise we'd have been in it that season ?

For those of you that don't know, only the top 2 qualified in those days. In fact that may have been the first season it was extended past the title winners.

I'm certain it was. Otherwise we'd have been in it that season ?

The irony is I think we were the first to get in for 4th as well

Guest Howaythetoon

This. Bernard was a f***ing tank but also fantastic coming forward. Real shame how Pardewed Santon got.

Best LB performance period away to Inter, defensively and in attack. I know the bloke personally as well, he fucked it up RE contracts here, but he was also fucked about by FS. He regrets leaving that's for sure!

Santon, I never quite got to be honest, talented but he lacked something mentally for me. Pardew didn't help his cause (or anyone's) like!

Nowhere near as good as Beresford the fact he can't get anywhere near Liverpools side is tantamount to that

I'm sure Enrique was highly rated by the Liverpool fans before Rogers dropped him.

Yeah Liverpool fans I've spoken too say they thought it was a great signing, but its panned out badly. Mostly down to his injury keeping him out for long time, but then how he struggled to come back to a very different system (Rodgers). Now they have Moreno on top, its a tough road for him. He's better off starting over elsewhere, and probably not in this country too.

Enrique is a completely different fullback to Beresford. Beresford could play football, Enrique relies on his speed and strength. In our current set up we're more in need of an Enrique than a Beresford. As a footballer there's no contest between the two. Imo a Bernard type fullback is what we really need.

Beresford was a good footballer but he never really struck me as much of a defender or an attacker. He was like the Jack Colback of Keegan's day. Great at safe possession but never really contributed that much at either end of the pitch.

Disagree with that entirely, he was a Steady Eddy in Keegan's side, who often paid the price for the showman in front of him.

He often looked suspect defensively but it was a by-product of the way we played.  He was handy going forward as well.  An underrated player, given that he was often regarded as a weak link.  He wasn't top drawer but he was a good full back.

Great call HTT on Bernard by the way. Of the three I want to put Beresford first because he was in the better team but  it's too close to call. Enrique was better defensively than both but nowhere near as good on the ball (it's why he never got a national call up).