Alan Smith

Dave

I'd sooner worry about the fact Allardyce allowed him to play the full 90mins yesterday than get angry at the player himself.

I think he should have moved him up front and took Viduka off yesterday

I'd sooner worry about the fact Allardyce allowed him to play the full 90mins yesterday than get angry at the player himself.

Yup.

Maybe so. Up front or not at all has always been my stance on Smith.

It's really quite strange how he goes missing from games...

Almost as strange as how he's always singled out for stick while playing out of position and yet others, the likes of N'Zogbia, Martins and the hugely overrated Emre, seem immune regardless of how many poor performances they turn in.

Charles and Oba have been our most productive players thus season.

Smith continuously gives nowt.

Stop reaching.

Reaching for what?  I don't rate Smith and never said I did.  It's just too easy to blame everything on one or two players like Smith, when fans favourites get away with yet another crap performance.  To say "Charles and Oba have been our most productive players thus season." only highlights how crap the whole team is and not how good they've been.

We aren't picking on Smith (well the vast majority). He's just continuously been utterly shit. Nobody is saying he and one or 2 other players are the main problem. It's down to Sam and his absurd tactics and selection which include Smith in all manners of positions which don't suit him.

Guest madness

its a worry, but i feel that smith is undroppable. The started every game under sam apart from the game the game that he was suspended.

It's really quite strange how he goes missing from games...

Almost as strange as how he's always singled out for stick while playing out of position and yet others, the likes of N'Zogbia, Martins and the hugely overrated Emre, seem immune regardless of how many poor performances they turn in.

Charles and Oba have been our most productive players thus season.

Smith continuously gives nowt.

Stop reaching.

Reaching for what?  I don't rate Smith and never said I did.  It's just too easy to blame everything on one or two players like Smith, when fans favourites get away with yet another crap performance.  To say "Charles and Oba have been our most productive players thus season." only highlights how crap the whole team is and not how good they've been.

We aren't picking on Smith (well the vast majority). He's just continuously been utterly shit. Nobody is saying he and one or 2 other players are the main problem. It's down to Sam and his absurd tactics and selection which include Smith in all manners of positions which don't suit him.

he should do a Craig Bellamy and tell the manager what his best position is  :coolsmiley:

Smiths the type of player that is fine to have in away games against the best sides, where you want to stifle the opposition.

At home however, he should be played up top or not at all. For me he's given us more than Viduka has so far this season. He was outstanding against Everton up front with Oba in a simple 442, i suggest we go back to basics.

Viduka has been pretty poor himself since he came here and on current form I think a Martins-Smith partnership would benefit the team more. Viduka is painfully slow and he gets beaten to most aeriel balls, so he's actually contributing very little to the team. He rarely presses defenders either, so when we don't have possession it feels like we're playing with 10 men. It's just too easy to defend someone so immobile, we had this problem when Shearer's legs had well and truly gone. He'll produce the odd bit of magic but entire games are passing him by.

Smith to his credit does plenty of pressing for the team and if he can do that up front he'll be contributing more than Viduka is at the moment. Even when Bellamy had poor games he would press from the front and this rushed the opposition to play the ball quickly and forced them into mistakes, and took some of the pressure off our midfield. Liverpool had it way too easy yesterday, their defenders were strolling out of defence unchallenged and our midfield found themselves quickly outnumbered. Torres and Kuyt on the other hand pressed our defenders in our own half, giving them no time to find a teammate and we struggled to pass our way out of our own half, punting it long instead.

The way things are at the moment it's got to be Smith and Martins for me.

I feel for the bloke tbh.

He's getting played out of position every week and it's not helping him.

Surely everyone can see this and not slate him so much aye ?

you never stop slating him when we are at school!

hes had a couple of games upfront and played fucking shite, didnt even show enough that he would be a good back-up striker

cant play anywhere in midfield

hopefully he will be dropped and sold in january

Viduka has been pretty poor himself since he came here and on current form I think a Martins-Smith partnership would benefit the team more. Viduka is painfully slow and he gets beaten to most aeriel balls, so he's actually contributing very little to the team. He rarely presses defenders either, so when we don't have possession it feels like we're playing with 10 men. It's just too easy to defend someone so immobile, we had this problem when Shearer's legs had well and truly gone. He'll produce the odd bit of magic but entire games are passing him by.

Smith to his credit does plenty of pressing for the team and if he can do that up front he'll be contributing more than Viduka is at the moment. Even when Bellamy had poor games he would press from the front and this rushed the opposition to play the ball quickly and forced them into mistakes, and took some of the pressure off our midfield. Liverpool had it way too easy yesterday, their defenders were strolling out of defence unchallenged and our midfield found themselves quickly outnumbered. Torres and Kuyt on the other hand pressed our defenders in our own half, giving them no time to find a teammate and we struggled to pass our way out of our own half, punting it long instead.

The way things are at the moment it's got to be Smith and Martins for me.

Excellent. Unfortunately Sparks will just look at the stats, that show Viduka has scored a couple of goals more[despite smith playing in midfield], and decide he's the best option accordingly. The truth is that Viduka has always been a lazy arse, and just lately he's had too many of these games.

Viduka really was a terrible signing. He's the kind of striker you should only have if the rest of the team is very quick, athletic and active and can do all the running around and create opportunities for him in dangerous situations.

He is absolutely worthless for us. Completely and utterly so ...

Viduka really was a terrible signing. He's the kind of striker you should only have if the rest of the team is very quick, athletic and active and can do all the running around and create opportunities for him in dangerous situations.

He is absolutely worthless for us. Completely and utterly so ...

Have to disagree, completely worthless? Saying that after the Smog and West Ham games I take it?

I didn't want us to sign Smith and i don't rate him as a player, and so far he's shown every reason why i had doubts. But the booing of him getting MOM yesterday ( i don't think i was tripping, i'm sure it happened) i don't know if the crowd were trying to be ironic or something, but my gut feeling they weren't, they were just being moronic.

The fans expect players to have passion for the club, tbh, if i were a player coming into this environment, i'd be quite happy to tell the lot of you to fuk off, and grin like  :smug: while i take your clubs cash off them.

Aye, i mean Boro were all about the quick and athleticism last season. :rolleyes:

There's very few strikers in the Premiership who can conjure a chance out of nothing better than Mark Viduka.

Completely and utterly worthless for crying out fucking loud.

Some people. This forum's fucking unbareable when the side's in a rut.

Aye, i mean Boro were all about the quick and athleticism last season. :rolleyes:

There's very few strikers in the Premiership who can conjure a chance out of nothing better than Mark Viduka.

Completely and utterly worthless for crying out f****** loud.

Some people. This forum's f****** unbareable when the side's in a rut.

Don't get me wrong Viduka is a good player but have you seen our midfield lately?

Downing and Yakubu were really important for Viduka last season and none of our players are playing at their level this season. Not even coming close.

In order to conjure up something out of nothing he at least needs the ball right? Somewhere close to the goal at least. This is happening less and less each game.

Perhaps I went overboard with my choice of words but at the moment his contribution in this pitiful team is nil.

Booing Smith when he got MOTM was fucking disgraceful tbh and i hope it was thick charvas and no nothing kids, if any adult booed that then they should never return to SJP as they are a disgrace to the club.