Steve McClaren

Dave

I wonder if by letting the media know that McClaren was their man a few days before it is actually confirmed was to allow the reduce the immediate negative reaction.  That has now had a few days to die down and people have got used to the idea whether they like it or not.

Eric steele replacing Woodman according to daily mail, and carver to be replaced as assistant. There's a decent start.

Fantastic news! Absolutely giddy about this.  :lol:

Loving McClaren already.  :aww:

To be fair, outside of this place and the Twittersphere, every fan I've spoken to has been fairly positive about the appointment.

Absolutely correct. Every fan are ok about McClaran. Except the world of Newcastle Online dysfunctional family.

If Carver's replaced I'd expect him to still be on the coaching staff. They won't release Carver & Stone, perhaps Woodman will go and join Charvdew at Palace.

:puke:

Guest TCD23

Not too happy BUT at the very least it's not like the Pardew hiring. Willing to give him a chance on the basis he's replacing my most hated manager rather than the best manager we had since Sir Bobby.

If I were McClaren, I wouldn't fancy a failed jumped up Assistant Manager thinking he can second-guess every decision I make as he "managed" himself. My first priority would be getting rid of Carver, even if he wasn't horrific.

1 got england to semi final of World Cup, furthest england have been in a major tournament since 1966

the other didn't qualify for euros

:lol:

Nor did SBR two years into job Euro 84 also a Gary Linekar hat trick away from exiting Mexico 86 in first round, had a disaster in Euro 88. Was the most hated Enlgand manager ever (A list which included Revie) before a 91st minute goal against Belguim and two Linekar penalties saved our bacon against Cameroon in 90.

If we where appointing on Enland records neither would get the job.

1 got england to semi final of World Cup, furthest england have been in a major tournament since 1966

Nor did SBR two years into job Euro 84 also a Gary Linekar hat trick away from exiting Mexico 86 in first round, had a disaster in Euro 88. Was the most hated Enlgand manager ever (A list which included Revie) before a 91st minute goal against Belguim and two Linekar penalties saved our bacon against Cameroon in 90.

Thank you Sir.

Thank you Sir.

Your initial point was still fuckin stupid

On the bright side, the only really, is that he actually is a good coach. These players have not been coached since they've been signed.

That is true but thats one one component of managing. Team selection, reading game thus making good sub and his team talks I never heard anyone saying something about them. Every one comes out and say he is a good coach only again and again.

NEWSFLASH - GAZZA'S p*ssed AGAIN

Paul Gascoigne believes Steve McClaren deserves the chance to impress at Newcastle.

The former Derby manager is set to be named the Magpies chief later this week, despite failing to guide Derby to a play-off spot last season in the Championship.

But St James’ Park legend Gascoigne insists the former England manager should be given a chance at the north east side.

“When Sven-Goran Eriksson was manager of England I went along to the camp, just to watch, and Steve McClaren took the training,” he told talkSPORT.

“Some of the stuff he was doing on the training field was brilliant to watch. I thought, ‘wow, I didn’t know he was like that'. I didn’t realise how good he was as a coach.

“As a manager, I don’t think he’s had a fair crack at any job either.”

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-paul-gascoigne-backs-steve-mcclaren-newcastle-job-150609150056#PMgQOrl70IEKAwcm.99

A fair crack at any job? He's had countless jobs and aside from Twente, done absolutely nowt. His coaching and managerial ability is obviously  flawed if he never managed to get Derby 'over the line' and into the Premiership... Even Chris Hughton done it with us with significant ease.

On the bright side, the only really, is that he actually is a good coach. These players have not been coached since they've been signed.

That's why it's important he gets his own staff in. I don't really want Carver anywhere near the first team. Once we get a proper set up in place we might see a new direction to the football which desperately needs it.

One of the good things about the McClaren appointment is that, by most accounts, he is a good coach. For that reason alone he should be better than Pardew, and may actually be able to make better use of the players we currently have.

I don't understand all this "he's a good coach" talk. If he was such a good coach then how did he completely lose it at Derby with one of the strongest sides in the league and being top of the league at the beginning of March? At Wolfsburg he left a side that had won the league only 2 seasons previously to 1pt above the relegation zone? Couldn't get England into the Euro's, only lasted 10 games at Notts Forest etc.

He is a manager that for the past 13 years has failed wherever he has been, minus his stint at Twente. The fact that his most recent jobs have all been at Championship clubs (where he has failed) goes to show his coaching certainly isn't all what people think it is and his managerial ability is just poor. He is not good enough for NUFC (with an ambitious owner) and it's as simple as that. I can't believe quite how many fans are rolling over and taking this???