Steve McClaren

Dave

“When he [Mike Ashley] did the interview before the West Ham game,” said McClaren. “When he came out with drive and determination and focus and talked about the objectives he wanted to achieve, he said it with such verve and vigour I think everybody was convinced, everybody was rejuvenated by that."

That is disgusting.  :lol:

In context he was saying it was one of the things that convinced him the club were serious About pushing on.

Context doesn't make it any better, he could have mentioned the interview as motivation without the other vomit inducing s****.

Probably, but I'm not going start hammering the bloke after one interview. Once he says 'that was for mike' then maybe.

This is Ashley's Shepherd and Big Sam moment. A realisation that things have to change, that the past cannot continue. But unlike with FS, Ashley has no ambition for NUFC outside of how he wants the club to operate. The clash of interests if you like will meet head on at some point and there is only ever going to be one winner.

I will go on record here and now and state that McClaren will resign within the next 2 years. He has bought into this so-called new vision and new NUFC, as have lots of fans it sadly seems, but Ashley only cares about two things - SD and the huge revenues from TV that enables him to run NUFC without having to put his own money into things and the guaranteed huge exposure for SD through the millions watching.

Talk of the top 8 and cups and punching above our weight financially are soundbites penned by Kieth Bishop and aimed at the sad sacks who want to believe in that, which by the way is deeply sad given finishing 5th under Sir Bobby was once regarded as not good enough.

Support McClaren and this 'new' NUFC and all you are doing us deluding yourself further. Meet the new boss.... same as the old boss?

I won't be fooled again! Never!

Agree with most of that. Don't know much about the integrity or whatever you want to call it of McClaren, but you have to imagine if he has any then he will be off within two years.

I couldn't disagree more.

Chances are it's likely his last job in football, he'll be here for a long, long time to milk it for all it's worth unless he contrives to take us down/retires early.

Fair enough, you will know a lot more about him than I do. Like I say though, if he is still here year after year and we are essentially carrying on like we have been(which we all know we will) then the guy's a fuckwit.

He's hardly going to start his new job by slagging the owner like. It's hard to hear, but it's inevitable.

Guess who else you said this about Ian?

Anyone who takes the job is instantly tainted by association, this is why the club can't go anywhere without a clean break. He'll be utterly reviled by Christmas, and the cycle repeats itself.

He's hardly going to start his new job by slagging the owner like. It's hard to hear, but it's inevitable.

Anyone who takes the job is instantly tainted by association, this is why the club can't go anywhere without a clean break. He'll be utterly reviled by Christmas, and the cycle repeats itself.

Nah I know, I'm not trying to say anything about the bigger picture. To hate anyone who works for Ashley is a fair enough position. Run of the mill quotes have just never been something I've been that bothered about, especially not from a guy who's just started a new job.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if you're right about the situation overall, I'm well past the optimistic stage.

Yeah because there are already people "disgusted" by what he said in his first interview after being given a great opportunity. Like Ian said, he's hardly going to get the job and go "yeah fuck Ashley, amirite? Fucking mug!" It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

It's the most uninspiring choice after what seemed like a few more exciting options, but it's better than where we were at this time last year. We need to judge him on who he brings in and how he performs next season, not judge him on his first interview to the club newspaper.

Probably, but I'm not going start hammering the bloke after one interview. Once he says 'that was for mike' then maybe.

I didn't want to hammer him, he set himself up as an arse licker and I'll give him stick for it.  I really hope that he does well here but can't see it happening.

Yeah because there are already people "disgusted" by what he said in his first interview after being given a great opportunity. Like Ian said, he's hardly going to get the job and go "yeah fuck Ashley, amirite? Fucking mug!" It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

It's the most uninspiring choice after what seemed like a few more exciting options, but it's better than where we were at this time last year. We need to judge him on who he brings in and how he performs next season, not judge him on his first interview to the club newspaper.

This, 100x this :thup:

I didn't want to hammer him, he set himself up as an arse licker and I'll give him stick for it.  I really hope that he does well here but can't see it happening.

This

We know we're going to absolutely hate the bloke so we may as well start early  :lol:

Today we appointed a man that talked about this club beign grand and deserving of success. He talked about his ambition to do his best to achieve this. The club have come out and followed suit with this idea.

We are yonks away from thi point last season already! Pardew had everyone convinced we ought to be grateful to be in the league. Our players weren't good enough. Europe was a pain. The cups were a hinderance. Man, fuck him and his crew. And I am glad he has duly fucked off to spout his inordinate shit somewhere else.

For now I am glad, because I cannot forget just how angry I was when Pardew and his band of buffoons were here.

Let's see what happens. We had better start getting in players quick time.

Yep. As underwhelming as this appointment seems, the recent moves are like a breath of fresh air compared to the horrific years under Pardew which feel like being in an abusive relationship.

Yeah because there are already people "disgusted" by what he said in his first interview after being given a great opportunity. Like Ian said, he's hardly going to get the job and go "yeah f*** Ashley, amirite? f***ing mug!" It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

Again, were his only options to arse lick Ashley or to say "yeah f*** Ashley, amirite? f***ing mug!"?

Today we appointed a man that talked about this club beign grand and deserving of success. He talked about his ambition to do his best to achieve this. The club have come out and followed suit with this idea.

We are yonks away from thi point last season already! Pardew had everyone convinced we ought to be grateful to be in the league. Our players weren't good enough. Europe was a pain. The cups were a hinderance. Man, fuck him and his crew. And I am glad he has duly fucked off to spout his inordinate shit somewhere else.

For now I am glad, because I cannot forget just how angry I was when Pardew and his band of buffoons were here.

Let's see what happens. We had better start getting in players quick time.

Yep. As underwhelming as this appointment seems, the recent moves are like a breath of fresh air compared to the horrific years under Pardew which feel like being in an abusive relationship.

Agreed. We'll have to see what else they actually do, but even saying those things is progress.

The fact we signed Steve McClaren to me shows we're not willing to progress at all, fuck the cunts. We've had periods of "have they changed?" before and the answer has always been "no, he's actually gotten loads worse."

I cannot be arsed to fall for it again.

Yeah because there are already people "disgusted" by what he said in his first interview after being given a great opportunity. Like Ian said, he's hardly going to get the job and go "yeah f*** Ashley, amirite? f***ing mug!" It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

Again, were his only options to arse lick Ashley or to say "yeah f*** Ashley, amirite? f***ing mug!"?

So can we just confirm Mike, do you like McClaren because I hate all this sitting on the fence?

Sometime tell us how you really feel.

Well, like the majority of them he'll be judged on results. Let's see how he does  :thup:

I'm fairly happy about this, particularly since he's bringing in his own staff. I guess I'm slightly biased since my mate supports Derby and always rated the way he had Derby playing. The board changes are interesting, and hopefully a positive since there will be people that actually know something about football up there, but we shall see. Also interesting that they communicated it.

Whilst I'm satisfied with the appointment, as others have said, it won't mean anything if he receives the same level of backing/ambition shown previously; we'll know whether Ashley's words had any merit before a ball is kicked in August.

Gut instinct tells me this one isn't going to work out, just a hunch and I sincerely hope McClaren makes the club a success, but I've got my doubts. That said, loads of things needed to happen this summer. Binning Carver - check. Hiring a manager who at least has a bit of a track record/isn't a complete cunt - check. Letting McClaren bring some of his own guys in - check. I never wanted McClaren but it's a decent appointment, he's a good coach by all accounts and in the grand scheme of things we could have been lumbered with a shite sight worse, this doesn't mean we couldn't have done much better either (I wanted Garde who would have signed apparently).

He's got the job and I don't detest the fuck out of him. I'm not thrilled, I'm not overjoyed and I'm not enthused by McClaren but I'll wait and see how it pans out. Said earlier, I'm sick of hating every aspect of the club, I'm looking for positives and I want it to work but I've got my doubts.

I'll give it 18 months. :neutral: