Steve McClaren

Dave

It was either his Radio Newcastle or general BBC interview. Just said he had great technical ability (followed by that's why he believed we should've been better on the ball, because we've got players of such quality) and that he was productive with it too.

hurray

By his first two games standards he was quite calm tbf :lol: Was actually perfect tbh, he maintained his aggression without going complete over the edge even if he got frustrated by some of the calls on occasion although that's understandable and he'll learn.

It was a pretty short interview.

• Pleased with the team but felt we should have done better in he ball.
  • Mitrovic gave us a presence even though he gave it away too many times. His header was a turning point/gave us belief.
  • Thinks we'll have ups and downs in the first 10 games (A bit negative, but kept emphasizing the ability to use the ball better which was good).
  • Also in the Mitrovic interview he said the fans were behind us all game and pleased they had a song about him already.
  • He was tired but wants to keep starting and hopes to score his first goal in the next few games, wants more crosses.
  • He thinks he stayed calm all game and needs to do that :lol:

what's the song?

The big difference for me now is that my interest has been rekindled. I'll never be convinced by Ashley and I'm still very sceptical but I'm intrigued to see how the new signings develop, how are style of play develops and to see signs of quality coaching for the first time in years. Under Pardew and then Carver I'd completely lost interest to the point where I didn't even bother watching games on TV and almost enjoyed seeing Pardew suffer with losses.

It's very early days but atleast there are signs of some green shoots...

All in all I've been impressed by him so far. There's definitely an intent to play good football there, and more importantly he seems to have some sort of idea about how he wants to go about installing it.

Biggest gripe so far has to be him actually rating Obertan and starting him ahead of Perez, a decision that seemed ludicrous and yesterday's game confirmed to be so. If we see Obertan start again I'll be surprised and very disappointed in McClaren. Obertan is shite and forever will be, no excuse to keep playing him.

The next big issue is going to be Colback and Anita in CM. I'm worried that he'll persist with it for far longer than he should. He seems to see Anita as a key cog in the system he wants, which is fine with me. He also seems to think Colback has a large role to play though, which I can't understand. Think most of us want Wij playing deeper and Perez\De Jong starting as the #10, but personally don't think he's going to do it and it'll become the first long term gripe we have with him

I do think he'll get Wijnaldum deeper after 10 games or so. He's probably mindful that if he drops him into CM now that it'll currently be alongside one of Colback/Anita, who don't really have the capability to carry someone that's getting used to the league. He's seemingly being very cautious with de Jong's (and Aarons') fitness - which, to be fair, is probably the right thing to do after all the shit that they went through last year - but I reckon we'll see de Jong come in after a little while too as his pre-season comments suggested McClaren thought an awful lot of him.

Perez is a tricky one, I really do think his best position in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 is in a wider role. Not sure how suited he is as a 10. If we can supply his movement as a wide forward, I think he'll have a tremendous season and bag 10+ goals.

I think he's taylor made for the #10 role. Ayoze that is. His decision making and technical ability makes him perfect for it.

I'm not sure about it, he doesn't have the vision to create as the number 10 imo. Prefer him further up of course, but think he did very very wall out on the left. As tactically disciplined as they come.

I think he's taylor made for the #10 role. Ayoze that is. His decision making and technical ability makes him perfect for it.

I'm not sure about it, he doesn't have the vision to create as the number 10 imo. Prefer him further up of course, but think he did very very wall out on the left. As tactically disciplined as they come.

I get your point and i agree that he's not a pure creator in that sense. I just think he'd work so well there as he can turn his marker quite easily and is very calm and confident on the ball and i can see him distributing the ball to our wing forwards higher up the pitch. His passing is good, and most of all he releases the ball when he has to, and he keeps it that extra second when needed as well. I think a lot of the service to Mitro will come from wide positions anyway and im very confident in Perez getting it out there from an advanced position. Can see him playing smart one two's with Mitrovic as well.

I like him, he's a smart guy and although early days I'm seeing improvement in the team. He said himself we're a long way from where we want to be but there seems to be a new professionalism to the club generally which is refreshing to see.

How refreshing it is to be able to stand the sight of our manager. Decent early signs, yesterday's result is pretty massive in the context of where we are. New manager, signings and seemingly footballing philosophy vindicated and the fans will be now fully on side you'd like to think.

Guest palnese

Fairly sure I read someone calling him a coward for bringing on Tiote for Perez. 0-0 at Old Trafforrd with 15 minutes to go. Some will never give him a chance.

The highlights of SMC so far:

- Doesn't talk shite at every opportunity

- Doesn't blame others

- Seems to have more than Plan A

- Doesn't have his players hoof it

- Isn't a massive cunt

- Doesn't try and channel the dead

- Players seem to be responding

- Brought in an actual GK coach

- Has seen through many players not good enough

- Subs are better than previous managers

- Has identifiable long term goals

- Plays more attacking football than all our managers since KK

- Sent key youngsters out on loan instead of wasting their development

The lowlights of SMC so far:

- Hasn't sussed Obertan offers nothing but pace

- Didn't do enough to keep Cabella

- Hasn't pushed for another CB

- Over reliant on Colback

His faith in Colo would have been a lowlight until yesterday...i think we've got to see how that one pans out.

Of course its a results business, and it could quite easily be 2pts from 5 games which is more than relegation form, however it wouldn't tell the real storey and that is there's a much brighter future for the club under him if he continues to approach it like he has done. I didn't want him, thought he fucked up Derby last season, found him embarrassing at NT level and with his stupid accents but he's already made me feel more interested this season than the previous 4, i cant work out if i should hate him for that or not.  :undecided:

Am I right to believe that the sub he made yesterday was a common feature at Twente, in regards to putting Tiote on in the 2nd half to protect the scoreline? I don't mind it, thought our midfield was all but dead in the last 15minutes and I see why he did it. Not cowardly at all in my opinion. Agreed with pretty much everything yesterday apart from starting Obertan.

Am I right to believe that the sub he made yesterday was a common feature at Twente, in regards to putting Tiote on in the 2nd half to protect the scoreline? I don't mind it, though our midfield was all but dead in the last 15minutes and I see why he did it. Not cowardly at all in my opinion. Agreed with pretty much everything yesterday apart from starting Obertan.

He would usually bring Tiote on to see out games. I assume it must have been for an attacking player most of the time.

I do think he'll get Wijnaldum deeper after 10 games or so. He's probably mindful that if he drops him into CM now that it'll currently be alongside one of Colback/Anita, who don't really have the capability to carry someone that's getting used to the league. He's seemingly being very cautious with de Jong's (and Aarons') fitness - which, to be fair, is probably the right thing to do after all the shit that they went through last year - but I reckon we'll see de Jong come in after a little while too as his pre-season comments suggested McClaren thought an awful lot of him.

Perez is a tricky one, I really do think his best position in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 is in a wider role. Not sure how suited he is as a 10. If we can supply his movement as a wide forward, I think he'll have a tremendous season and bag 10+ goals.

Do you think it'll be Tiote and Wijnaldum then?

Would require Tiote rediscovering his best form for us, don't know if I can see that happening. I think McClaren also wants Anita to be the foundation of our midfield, the player who takes it from the defense and gets things started.

Personally I'd like to see us go primarily with

Wijnaldum  Anita

Sissoko          Perez          Thauvin

Mitrovic

Think that could produce some very good football and the players would compliment each other quite well, bit of everything there.

The downside to it is that we'd be possibly a little light on presence in CM in tougher games against better opposition, particularly away from home. So when necessary I'd like to see us move Sissoko central and Perez out wide and go with something like this.

Anita

Sissoko        Wijnaldum

Perez                                                Thauvin

Mitrovic       

Bit like we saw yesterday, Anita sitting in front of the CB's with two CM's in front who have license to push forward on the counter. Sissoko and Wijnaldum gives us excellent athleticism in the middle of the park.

SDJ would obviously be a strong candidate to play AM in the first formation, I put Perez in because he has the ability to move to the right and we could change systems at will.

I'm not gonna worry if we're bottom 3 after our first 8 games. Our first 8 games are a nightmare. It's more what we do with an easier run of games that will be the real yard stick.

My only worry is that if it happens confidence will be very low going into those games and affect performances.