Steve McClaren

Dave

IMHO, if we go for McClaren, it'll be because Ashley will think he can rekindle his previous reputation (Man Utd assistant, England etc) and then flog him on a la Pardew.

Damaged goods, repair the box a bit, give the PR boys a project of generating positive press and BINGO! flog on and rinse/repeat.

Because they're playing in a style that suits them, i.e. keep it tight, long ball, nick a 1-0/2-1. Derby play decent stuff and the likes of Forsyth, Hughes, Hendrick, Martin etc have improved as all round footballers under McClaren.

I'm based in Derby so chat to a fair few of their fans and all these supposed problems have come since Martin was injured. He basically linked the whole team and is an excellent allround striker at that level. I think McLaren would benefit from coaching better players than the likes of Jamie Ward but as has been said, would be something of a meh appointment.

Sounds familiar.

Not the excuses of McClaren himself in fairness, he does a relatively good job of not acting like Football's Charlie Sheen in his interviews. One good attribute for McClaren is that players have legitimately improved while playing for him, and he's a good coach.

Derby fan at work said similar.  The issue they face is they don't have a replacement for Chris Martin or anyone close to it and have a very small squad - they're down 7 players. 

Reckons they've been playing a left winger up top in place of Martin since he was injured.  Chap actually reckons they've been class this season but obviously its just petered out.  Rates McClaren highly too.

I'm not even sure what you're getting at now. The conclusion that he isn't that good (I think he's 5/10 medicore) is based on what I've seen from his teams over the past 12 years or so, and what I was repeatedly told by level-headed Boro fans when I lived there.

The fact he's not managed in the PL since the England job has nothing to do with potential supporter disgruntlement and everything to do with the fact that if you were a somewhat ambitious chairman wanting good football and good results, you may not disregard him totally, but you'd look elsewhere first.

To reiterate, and I hope this is the last time I have to do it, it's an absolutely nonsensical assertion that the reason he's managing Derby County in the Championship is because PL fans wouldn't accept him.

the lad started out suggesting there are reasons other than ability he's not been offered PL jobs, you then cited gary megson as an example of why this isn't correct and that he's not getting jobs because he's not very good :lol:

Gary Megson is an example of the shit managers who get appointed each year in the Premier League to absolutely no fan revolt of any kind. Yet to say that McClaren hasn't been employed as a PL manager for almost a decade is solely because fans wouldn't accept him post-England? Guff.

It's an absurd suggestion and it should've been very clear what I meant. Thanks for making me waste my time reiterating it again. :thup:

Ipswich players have improved under Mick McCarthy. I wouldn't want him either.

McCarthy owns that league, to be fair. He worked an absolute miracle at Wolves and has done extremely well so far at Ipswich.

Guest Incandenza

I'm not even sure what you're getting at now. The conclusion that he isn't that good (I think he's 5/10 medicore) is based on what I've seen from his teams over the past 12 years or so, and what I was repeatedly told by level-headed Boro fans when I lived there.

The fact he's not managed in the PL since the England job has nothing to do with potential supporter disgruntlement and everything to do with the fact that if you were a somewhat ambitious chairman wanting good football and good results, you may not disregard him totally, but you'd look elsewhere first.

To reiterate, and I hope this is the last time I have to do it, it's an absolutely nonsensical assertion that the reason he's managing Derby County in the Championship is because PL fans wouldn't accept him.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/196358/Steve-McClaren-Aston-Villa-snub-was-slap-in-the-face

All the ghosts of his England demise came fl ooding back as Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner pulled the plug on his dream return to the Premier League because of the internet nuts clogging up message boards with their anti-McClaren bile.

Within 24-hours, Steve McClaren’s plans to hold talks with the American over becoming Gerard Houllier’s replacement at Villa Park crumbled to dust, ending with the embarrassment of being told his planned interview for the post had been cancelled.

The clear indication to the man who was relieved of his England manager’s job four years ago was the damage he suffered in failing to qualify for Euro 2008 would never disappear.

the lad started out suggesting there are reasons other than ability he's not been offered PL jobs, you then cited gary megson as an example of why this isn't correct and that he's not getting jobs because he's not very good :lol:

Gary Megson is an example of the shit managers who get appointed each year in the Premier League to absolutely no fan revolt of any kind. Yet to say that McClaren hasn't been employed as a PL manager for almost a decade is solely because fans wouldn't accept him post-England? Guff.

It's an absurd suggestion and it should've been very clear what I meant. Thanks for making me waste my time reiterating it again. :thup:

Theirs a definite stigma with Mclaren, quite diffenrent to Gary Megson who is simply a non entity.

Theirs a definite stigma with Mclaren, quite diffenrent to Gary Megson who is simply a non entity.

Agreed, I've never said anything about the fan backlash so no need for Ron to keep reiterating, but Megson and all the other examples basically prove there are more than football reasons why he's not worked in the PL.

He's also still damaged goods in some respects after the England failure.

Ashley loves the bargain bin for knackers/weirdos/morons.

He's only considered damaged goods by supporters. In the game he is highly rated.

This is the original post. It implies only fans consider him damaged goods and that has affected Chairman choices. But I believe Minhosa is correct in his original assertion.

He's also still damaged goods in some respects after the England failure.

Ashley loves the bargain bin for knackers/weirdos/morons.

He's only considered damaged goods by supporters. In the game he is highly rated.

This is the original post. It implies only fans consider him damaged goods and that has affected Chairman choices. But I believe Minhosa is correct in his original assertion.

Some truth to it for sure :thup:

Looking increasingly like he's our man:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2015/04/04/10437662/-?

Reckon we'll offer him the job and if he turns it down (we'll probably be offering him less money than he gets at Derby) it'll be Carver, don't think there's any others in the frame.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--mZvTa4f_uY/UOyhcKMWefI/AAAAAAAAFTI/SxTkl78Jdxc/s1600/tom-delonge.jpg

He's the perfect safe pair of hands appointment for our horrid lot...

Probably above his station so won't complain at players being sold/no cash

Thankful to be in the PL

Knows European DoF system

Not good enough to challenge elite

Too astute to fuck it up royally and get relegated

Did well bringing through kids at various places

Not going to boot off at having to live in the NE

Probably bring an increased media attention on the club from his England connections

Finished between 7th - 14th with Boro

Aye I'm starting to think it could well be McClaren. I could probably get behind him if he started well enough, but his appointment wouldn't fully drag me from my stupor. It's going to be a while before I'm fervently behind the team on a matchday again, like - the end of last season and all of this have tipped me too far into apathy. But it could be someone a lot worse than McClaren. At least he's got a modicum of pedigree, unlike others from their shortlist.