Steve McClaren

Dave

It's the fact he doesn't have any heart. Closely followed by a lack of brain cells.

The lack of brain cells is much more important

Not really. When he's got a whole load of space to run into 1 on 1, he often stops and checks back because he's too scared to accept the responsibility to score a goal. I think it's just cowardice, nothing to do with brains.

Running around cones very well with the ball is an example of great dribbling - a technical talent.

Running fast is also a talent.

He showed a good bit of strength in that run for the cross too.

It's not the talent that's been the problem

Anybody can run well around a cone even with a football at their feet with a bit of basic training so I don't see that as a technical talent at this level unless they're doing it to an opposition player. As it is, the only thing he is capable of doing is kicking a ball past a player (very occasionally when he wants to attack them) and run past them. No skill involved, just raw pace which is a physical benefit, not a technical skill.

Mole - from the statement 'technically he is talented' I thought you meant he had technical ability.

The way I see it he has no technical ability whatsoever, no heart whatsoever and has nothing to offer but pace. We may as well just sign an olympic sprinter.

Running around cones very well with the ball is an example of great dribbling - a technical talent.

Anybody can run well around a cone even with a football at their feet with a bit of basic training so I don't see that as a technical talent at this level unless they're doing it to an opposition player. As it is, the only thing he is capable of doing is kicking a ball past a player (very occasionally when he wants to attack them) and run past them. No skill involved, just raw pace which is a physical benefit, not a technical skill.

Mole - from the statement 'technically he is talented' I thought you meant he had technical ability.

The way I see it he has no technical ability whatsoever, no heart whatsoever and has nothing to offer but pace. We may as well just sign an olympic sprinter.

I'd rather have Bolt than Oberwang any day of the week.

You're just arguing with me for the sake of it.

Pace and strength are positive attributes. Being able to dribble at pace is a skill and a technical ability. When he's having a rare good game he looks accomplished in everything he does.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/b8/b8cc934be7df59d2c88eda726398c3f1d006f94f5becfdcde6cbfdcf8621513f.jpg

Pace and strength are positive attributes. Being able to dribble at pace is a skill and a technical ability. When he's having a rare good game he looks accomplished in everything he does.

I don't think he dribbles well at all tbh.

Arguing for the sake of it? I have a different opinion and I'm simply expressing it you insufferable tit.

Pace and strength are positive attributes, yes - but technical? No.

Being able to dribble at pace is a technical ability... If you're dribbling past opposition fullbacks in the Premier League as a winger, yes. If you're dribbling through some cones. No.

When he's having a rare good game? Any c*** can have a good game, it's having the ability to show something and maintain playing for a Premier League club what matters, hence why countless players who've had 'rare good games' with us and other clubs are languishing in the lower divisions.

But of course I'm wrong and you're right, because you're never wrong.

Of all the pointless debates we've had on this forum, this is indeed the most pointless. Like arguing the finer points of a dog turd. Again, it's the usual suspects having an impressively pathetic dick-measuring contest.

Obertan sucks, fucking leave it at that.

He possesses the same qualities that has given the likes of Ryan Taylor so much leeway - one positive attribute that when it happens has massive effect but in actuality rarely happens but he's a canny lad and he trains well so he'll get kept around. Keeping others out of the frame in the process. I know Perez is'nt a winger but he is more effective and has hell of a lot more to bring.

I see he's already said "we'll go with what we've got".

Fire him now.

We probably will, but this is bullshit from what i've read and heard. Unless i have totally missed something.

The quotes call into question McLaren's mentality. Speaking about nullifying not only the threat of Soton's RM, but their fucking RB as well? That's what's dictating the call for picking Obertan over Aarons, because Obertan can somehow DEFEND better against Cedric? A strong whiff of the Pardewesque, defeatest mentality if that's what he actually means. And whatever the fuck he actually meant with those quotes, there is simply no reason at all for starting Obertan over Aarons or even a poodle.

McClaren will learn soon enough Obertan is s***. I reckon the pace and technical ability always looks very good in training.

Seen this point made a few times now. Hoe much of an unknown do people think Obertan is to managers who have worked in England for the past fee years, especially one who may have known for the past six months that he was taking over so had all the time in the world to do his homework?

The quotes call into question McLaren's mentality. Speaking about nullifying not only the threat of Soton's RM, but their fucking RB as well? That's what's dictating the call for picking Obertan over Aarons, because Obertan can somehow DEFEND better against Cedric? A strong whiff of the Pardewesque, defeatest mentality if that's what he actually means. And whatever the fuck he actually meant with those quotes, there is simply no reason at all for starting Obertan over Aarons or even a poodle.

I was under the impression that he wanted to peg the full backs back by offering our own threat down the wings (albeit only in the form of pace in Obertan's case). His plan was clearly to try and push Southampton into their own half due to the potential speed we had on the transition.

That isn't a Pardewesque mentality at all.

The quotes call into question McLaren's mentality. Speaking about nullifying not only the threat of Soton's RM, but their f***ing RB as well? That's what's dictating the call for picking Obertan over Aarons, because Obertan can somehow DEFEND better against Cedric? A strong whiff of the Pardewesque, defeatest mentality if that's what he actually means. And whatever the f*** he actually meant with those quotes, there is simply no reason at all for starting Obertan over Aarons or even a poodle.

I was under the impression that he wanted to peg the full backs back by offering our own threat down the wings (albeit only in the form of pace in Obertan's case). His plan was clearly to try and push Southampton into their own half due to the potential speed we had on the transition.

:thup:

Which I'd, of course, be happy with. In that case, the sooner he realises that Aarons is the better option for all of the above, the better.

It's going to take him half a dozen or so games to establish his best team, especially after our complete mess of a pre season. No doubt we'll see Aarons knocking on the door before long.