Steve McClaren

Dave

There are no guarantees with managers. Sometimes it just works, sometimes it doesn't, from Juande Ramos to Claudio Ranieri.

What you mustn't do, and imo exactly what we have done, is appoint a manager with a very obvious glass ceiling far below where the club should be operating at.

There are no guarantees with managers. Sometimes it just works, sometimes it doesn't, from Juande Ramos to Claudio Ranieri.

What you mustn't do, and imo exactly what we have done, is appoint a manager with a very obvious glass ceiling far below where the club should be operating at.

Bang on. That was the disappointing thing with both Pardew and McClaren. You know exactly what you're getting and you know that no top club would be interested in them. The only reason they were chosen is because they can be passed off as having some sort of pedigree due to once being thought of as promising managers. Garde might well prove to be a flop, but at least there would be the excitement of thinking he could be the next Wenger. He is young and he had a reputation for developing younger players at Lyon.

Very much agree.

You can forgive the Juande Ramos appointments because you see the ambition behind it. SMC is mediocre all over.

At the same time, he's better than a lot of the people I was imagining would turn up.

He's a big step up from Pardew and that's something I suppose. At least the football doesn't make your eyes bleed and during the Pardew/Carver years anything seemed better in comparison.

At the same time, he's better than a lot of the people I was imagining would turn up.

He's a big step up from Pardew and that's something I suppose. At least the football doesn't make your eyes bleed and during the Pardew/Carver years anything seemed better in comparison.

he's the best we've had in years imo, and thats saying something.

Danny Mills:

“Steve McClaren is a very good coach, undoubtedly. But he does struggle with man management skills from time to time.

“I think Newcastle had a tricky start. They played well in the first four or five games but didn’t get results they needed – that knocked them back.

“But when you look at the quality of their squad if they finish 14th, 15th, 16th, that’s about right for them.”

Not sure what he's basing the man-management stuff on.

Danny Mills:

“Steve McClaren is a very good coach, undoubtedly. But he does struggle with man management skills from time to time.

“I think Newcastle had a tricky start. They played well in the first four or five games but didn’t get results they needed – that knocked them back.

But when you look at the quality of their squad if they finish 14th, 15th, 16th, that’s about right for them.

I'm not having that like. It's nothing amazing, but better than that.

Danny Mills:

“But when you look at the quality of their squad if they finish 14th, 15th, 16th, that’s about right for them.”

McClaren managed him at Boro for the 03-04 season. He was promised a contract but ended up at City (after being heavily linked with us before we opted for Stephen Carr).