Steve McClaren

Dave

How is Pulis "better" than McClaren? Pulis has won fuck all and his playing style/football philosophy is way worse than McClaren's.

McClaren's style isn't pretty either (by anyone's definition) and he won the League Cup and the Eredivise. So what?

I'd argue that McClaren's style is far prettier than Pulis's.

You should hear Albion fans going on about the way they play - negative, cynical, lumping it long.

If you appoint a manager like that on the basis of him being likely to keep you up, you then have to realise that you're going to be stuck with him for another three years - Pulis or McClaren are never going to sign up for a few months alone and then dutifully fuck off afterwards.

Getting someone like Pulis in to keep you up is like (what I imagine) shagging some ropey bird you've picked up the night before.

It's all good and well while you've had a few drinks and you're getting your leg over, but not so much the next morning when you wake up with a crushing hangover, and you've got a rough minger lying next to you  in a pool of blood, shit and semen because she's still there

How is Pulis "better" than McClaren? Pulis has won f*** all and his playing style/football philosophy is way worse than McClaren's.

McClaren's style isn't pretty either (by anyone's definition) and he won the League Cup and the Eredivise. So what?

Again: How is Pulis better than McClaren?

Coz hees betta at managen footbal teems in the Premya Leeg.

I'd take a chance on an unknown name from the lower divisions over a f***ing bore like McClaren, man. Nothing remotely exciting about him. "But, But...he's better than Carver" isn't good enough to just say OK either, ever.

That's an argument I will never, ever understand.

Towards the end of the Lambert reign, lots of our fans were calling for all sorts of f***ing stupid stuff  - "get Pulis in! He'll keep us up!" "Try to get Allardyce in", and whenever challenged, the answer was always "better than Lambert"

Utterly meaningless, in that situation and in this one too.

Almost everyone on here believes Carver is absolutely useless and hugely out of his depth. That alone means that "better than Carver" is a totally worthless justification.

If Carver is as s*** as he seems to be, how is being "better" than him a meaningful argument?

Wouldn't it be possible to be better than Carver AND still be absolutely f***ing hopeless?

Why would anyone want that?

Man ... Sherwood is looking like he has something about him. You guys are so fortunate.

I hate you!

this thread is so fucking depressing like, can we not just get someone in the club who knows a fucking thing about football for a start then go from there? :lol:

what's that fella who resigned from Southampton doing?  he'd be worth his weight in gold for Ashley like

I'd take a chance on an unknown name from the lower divisions over a fucking bore like McClaren, man. Nothing remotely exciting about him. "But, But...he's better than Carver" isn't good enough to just say OK either, ever.

Towards the end of the Lambert reign, lots of our fans were calling for all sorts of fucking stupid stuff  - "get Pulis in! He'll keep us up!" "Try to get Allardyce in", and whenever challenged, the answer was always "better than Lambert"

Almost everyone on here believes Carver is absolutely useless and hugely out of his depth. That alone means that "better than Carver" is a totally worthless justification.

If Carver is as shit as he seems to be, how is being "better" than him a meaningful argument?

Wouldn't it be possible to be better than Carver AND still be absolutely fucking hopeless?

Because the alternative might be Carver?

Point taken, but if the argument to support a particular manager is "better than Carver", then really, there's lots of potential there to appoint other managers who will fill that requirement but also be fucking clueless.

Surely the thing to do would be to sack Carver and appoint someone who knows what they're doing?

I think part of the reasoning that goes on is that clubs like you and us have been conditioned into having expectations so low, that we start to idealise the appointment of managers that, in years gone by, we would run a mile from.

I'd take a chance on an unknown name from the lower divisions over a f***ing bore like McClaren, man. Nothing remotely exciting about him. "But, But...he's better than Carver" isn't good enough to just say OK either, ever.

Towards the end of the Lambert reign, lots of our fans were calling for all sorts of f***ing stupid stuff  - "get Pulis in! He'll keep us up!" "Try to get Allardyce in", and whenever challenged, the answer was always "better than Lambert"

If Carver is as s*** as he seems to be, how is being "better" than him a meaningful argument?

Wouldn't it be possible to be better than Carver AND still be absolutely f***ing hopeless?

Man ... Sherwood is looking like he has something about him. You guys are so fortunate.

I hate you!

Sherwood has proved very little so far.

A blind man on a galloping horse could spot what Lambert needed to change to fix it, and Sherwood has done just that.

However, he is still a manager with less than one season of management behind him, one who has never had a transfer window to work in.

Basically, I am steeling myself for him buying all sorts of past-it, hopeless former Spurs dross.

Livermore, Huddlestone, Dawson, that level of crud.

Pulis, McClaren, Pardew, Lambert blah blah blah all not ever fucking worthy to be managers of This club. Sadly Mike Ashley has boiled down and distilled any bit of pride the masses have. We're capable of hiring an excellent name if the owner gave a fuck.

How is Pulis "better" than McClaren? Pulis has won f*** all and his playing style/football philosophy is way worse than McClaren's.

Again: How is Pulis better than McClaren?

Coz hees betta at managen footbal teems in the Premya Leeg.

You make a strong case.

I hate you!

A blind man on a galloping horse could spot what Lambert needed to change to fix it, and Sherwood has done just that.

However, he is still a manager with less than one season of management behind him, one who has never had a transfer window to work in.

Basically, I am steeling myself for him buying all sorts of past-it, hopeless former Spurs dross.

:lol:

Wish that was our only worry!

Tell you what has impressed me the most about Sherwood. How he came in and wasn't afraid to play Grealish, and allow him to express himself. I absolutely loved that!

He's got form with that too from Spurs, with Bentaleb, Kane and Mason. That is a very good sign IMO.

The window will be interesting though for sure. If he can stay away from the has beens, and show some fresh ideas in the window, you guys are in good shape.

Cups are completely worthless when judging a manager's worth. McClaren's Eredivisie? That's fine, a real achievement.

But cups? Winning a few particular games, that might be much easier than your normal ones, depending on your draw, over the course of an entire season that might otherwise have been absolutely shit?

Alex McLeish and Graeme Souness have both got a League Cup, whilst Di Matteo has a Champions League - Avram Grant would also have one if John Terry hadn't fell over. It's simply not something that should even be mentioned when discussing the merits of a manager. For that, league seasons are the only true measure.

I hate you!

I hated him at Spurs, close to Pardew levels imo, and fortunately I've not seen much of him at Villa from that respect but I don't think the bit in bold will be a concern for you tbh.  Have the feeling he'll go down the youth route and if he's going to Spurs he'll be back for untried kids.

You never know mind.

disagree with this part mind, it was some feat, I think theres only him and van gaal who have won it in recent times and havent been in charge of one of hollands big clubs.

You should hear Albion fans going on about the way they play - negative, cynical, lumping it long.

Every Boro fan I know said the same stuff about McClaren.

I can imagine McClaren being a negative manager but I've never really pegged him as being a long ball merchant. The one redeeming quality I thought he might bring is some technical nous. Other than that he's obviously got no ambition whatsoever, and the question still remains, was his best work as no 2 to Alex Ferguson?

How is Pulis "better" than McClaren? Pulis has won fuck all and his playing style/football philosophy is way worse than McClaren's.

I'd argue that McClaren's style is far prettier than Pulis's.

If you appoint a manager like that on the basis of him being likely to keep you up, you then have to realise that you're going to be stuck with him for another three years - Pulis or McClaren are never going to sign up for a few months alone and then dutifully fuck off afterwards.

Getting someone like Pulis in to keep you up is like (what I imagine) shagging some ropey bird you've picked up the night before.

It's all good and well while you've had a few drinks and you're getting your leg over, but not so much the next morning when you wake up with a crushing hangover, and you've got a rough minger lying next to you  in a pool of blood, shit and semen because she's still there

They don't like 4 centre backs and 5 non-attacking central midfielders playing? Why ever not.

Cups are completely worthless when judging a manager's worth.

You must not rate Ancelotti much then :lol:

But yeah individual one off cup wins aren't a great measure of a manager.

McClaren would probably do an acceptable enough job, for what Ashley's ambitions are anyway, but as a fan I'd much much rather the excitement of someone I know very little about who'd at least make next season interesting, and if he's a disaster results wise so be it.