Steve McClaren

Dave

I'm so broken by NUFC these days that I'll welcome the appointment purely based on the fact that I'll be able to watch the team again without wanting them to lose.

I don't think he's particularly good but I do have respect for him for going abroad to rebuild his career.

No doubt every ounce of that respect will vanish the second I hear him talking about trying to compete with Southampton.

Guest taps01

Don't get me wrong, he would be nowhere near my first choice either, but when you look at him in the context of the likes of Pardew, Carver and Kinnear that this regime have previously presented us with then he's a definite step up.

You can add Roeder, Souness and Allardyce from recent times as well. Christ we have had some awful managers since Bobby Robson.

Mcclaren will be a steady hand. Read quite a few derby forums last night, hard pushed to find anyone who wanted him to leave (for footballing reasons), quite a few mention their 'on the floor' style of football as well (I've watched them a few times, never seen it!). I go back to my previous point, people would be happy with karanka, but not mcclaren? Didn't karanka 'fail' with boro the same way mcclaren 'failed' with Derby? People are being overly harsh imo.

I agree, it's dull, uninspiring and disappointing, there's a real chance to lift the place here and they're not going to take it, but I also think, keegan aside, he's the best appointment we've made in last ten years.

My biggest gripe with him is his "deer in the headlights" approach to bad runs of form. With Boro, England, Wolfsburg and Derby last year he seemed utterly bereft of ideas when things started to go south. We've had had years of peaks and troughs - why can't the top brass see that McClaren is just Pardew minus the ego and hoof ball!

I don't get the "yes" man thing because that means that anyone who accepts the job would be categorised as that because they are willing to work for Ashley.

What they shouldn't do is to publicly endorse every Ashley decision and dedicate their wins to him and try to convince us he is a fan as much as the rest of us.  The new guy should be diplomatic in those situations where they don't criticise the owner in public but don't take every opportunity to praise him either.

People seem to forget about his woeful spell with forest too, how long did he last there? about 2/3 months iirc

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15606980

why the fook does he talk to people like htey're 3 year olds, i don't think i will be able to listen to him whatsoever

Sicking if Carr really push this because he is his mate my estimation for him will be low. 

Ipswich fans will be very positive about Mick McCarthy, and they finished higher than Derby. Doesn't really mean we should get him in. No other PL clubs would touch McClaren right now, and the ones we should be competing with wouldn't dream of it in a month of Sundays.

Guest antz1uk

Ipswich fans will be very positive about Mick McCarthy, and they finished higher than Derby. Doesn't really mean we should get him in. No other PL clubs would touch McClaren right now, and the ones we should be competing with wouldn't dream of it in a month of Sundays.

yep, everything is relative

Ashley has done an outstanding job at lowering supporters' expectations. Truly remarkable really.

That's definitely true, as it is for us, too.

I also think that the more money that comes into the game, the more horrible the thought of dropping out of the top flight becomes for them, and as a result, the more that starts to be their only real concern, which just makes that "at least we didn't get relegated" argument even more important to them.

You'd think the television money going into mental levels might do some good - doesn't it mean that half the PL are in the richest 20 clubs in Europe, for example?

If you didn't know what the people who own clubs are like, you might look at all that money and think "maybe this will encourage more clubs to go out and get better players and try to compete?" or even "perhaps they'll actually cut ticket prices for the fans who keep the thing going, now they're getting so much more telly money through".

Instead what happens is the opposite, unambitious chairman see nothing from the cash beyond more profit and a much increased fear of relegation (which manifests itself in not caring about cups or seeing finishing 15th as an achievement rather than an absolute embarrassment), and the financial mugging of supporters in terms of ever increasing ticket prices just carries on regardless.

I'm just holding on to the hope that he will use the players we have correctly.

In the brief period Pardew put his ego aside and did that, even he managed to finish fifth!

My biggest frustration in past seasons has definitely been the complete misuse of our players, and I really feel we won't see the same issue with McClaren.

Guess we'll have to wait and see now though.

I'm just holding on to the hope that he will use the players we have correctly.

In the brief period Pardew put his ego aside and did that, even he managed to finish fifth!

My biggest frustration in past seasons has definitely been the complete misuse of our players, and I really feel we won't see the same issue with McClaren.

Guess we'll have to wait and see now though.

Good point BUT we don't have many of those players anymore that achieved 5th! Not sure he is the man to work with what we have now (bunch of shit) or really bring in what we don't have/need!

I see he is still taking Bill Beswick (sports pyschologist) everywhere with him.  Didn't they used to say McClaren would consult him on everything first.  Wonder whether we would let him bring such people with him.

I see he is still taking Bill Beswick (sports pyschologist) everywhere with him.  Didn't they used to say McClaren would consult him on everything first.  Wonder whether we would let him bring such people with him.

Our players have typically been so mentally weak that it probably wouldn't be such a bad idea actually.

Guest Roger Kint

The majority of fans will lap it up and pay for their ST's as 'we have to give him a chance' 'judge him at the end of the season' etc :rolleyes: