Jose Mourinho

Guest sicko2ndbest

I'm in the process of reading the book about his time at Madrid, and some of his behaviour when under pressure or facing defeat was quite bizarre. There could well be parallels here.

A lot of his behaviour reminded me of the stories about Brian Clough. Both went in for a lot of psychological manipulation, where they'd do anything to generate strong emotion in the players, with it be positive motivation to live up to praise, or negative emotion to prove him wrong. A lot of what they said, in public or private, was rubbish but designed to produce an effect.

Their success can't be denied, but you wonder whether certain problems come in the wake of those methods. Eventually some players might get fed up with it, or that it has less effect with familiarity. There's also the potential problem of Mourinho losing his grip, and his becoming unable to distinguish between theatre that he creates and reality.

Of course it may be simpler, and after all the success he simply can't deal with being number 2. He couldn't cope with Barca, and it looks like he's struggling to cope with Man City.

Disagree that he wasn't able to cope with Barca.

IMO he "beat" Pep mentally, Pep took a sabbatical. He won the La Liga in Pep's last season. Jose won. The problem was that it was over. The enemy had been defeated. Us vs. them was no more. Nothing else to fight. Ended fighting his own players.

They beat Pep's Barca one time in 90 mins, which was the final Clasico :lol: Also Pep said before the season started he was going to leave, had f*** all to do with Jose.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/detail/article/ninth-victory-for-guardiola-against-real-madrid

:lol:

Disagree that he wasn't able to cope with Barca.

IMO he "beat" Pep mentally, Pep took a sabbatical. He won the La Liga in Pep's last season. Jose won. The problem was that it was over. The enemy had been defeated. Us vs. them was no more. Nothing else to fight. Ended fighting his own players.

They beat Pep's Barca one time in 90 mins, which was the final Clasico :lol: Also Pep said before the season started he was going to leave, had f*** all to do with Jose.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/detail/article/ninth-victory-for-guardiola-against-real-madrid

:lol:

TCD is great though.

Oh no doubt, but the idea he broke him or that he wasn't completely dominated during those years is bogus.

Pep was weird that season though, experimenting with shit that made no sense like some 343 diamond with Pique being the only CB and Xavi, Thiago, Fabregas and Iniesta being a narrow 4  ;D

He does that now as well tbh, but in Germany you get away with it naturally. Still though Madrid were awesome that year, absolutely no doubt about that.

I really like him. He's an obsessive winner and does and says shit only he can really answer for or explain but it's all about his obsession with being great and remembered forever - be it for better or worse.

He loves himself far too much for many people's liking and says some awful things about people or his opponents but he's one of my favorites.

I quite like Mourinho. I find him like a pantomime character. When it's going well he plays arrogant, makes it about him and takes all the pressure off the players. Problem is, when it goes wrong, which is rare, he can't deflect it. He then claims some silly things or shows frustration. As a neutral its funny to watch either way. Not sure what all the hate to him is about for some, :lol: but of course each to their own.

The only thing I don't like about him is he can go very anti-football at times. The way Inter Milan won the Champions League under him was really squirmy, Barcelona were the deserved winners on paper.

I can't see him leaving unless it unfolds terribly across the next 5 games, but I think he's too good to let that happen and there's too many good players at his disposal.

I really like him. He's an obsessive winner and does and says shit only he can really answer for or explain but it's all about his obsession with being great and remembered forever - be it for better or worse.

He loves himself far too much for many people's liking and says some awful things about people or his opponents but he's one of my favorites.

I honestly can't fathom somebody having this opinion. He plays shit football, says some awful things about people, talks loads of shite, eye gouges people, sacks people for doing their job