Toon turning to Shearer and Keegan

stozo

agreed we desperately need to fill the Beardsley role, which know other manager seems to have noticed, Diego is a good shout, how about Bentley if Hughes signs up?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/columnists/columnists.html?in_article_id=508214&in_page_id=1951&ito=newsnow

Clown Kev can be star of the circus

Kevin Keegan is absolutely perfect for Newcastle United. For heaven's sake, it's obvious. The man already runs his own Soccer Circus, so moving back to St James' Park and taking over another chaotic Big Top hardly requires a massive leap of imagination.

If you are reading this, Mike Ashley, don't delay. Send over the contract and sign up the greatest little ringmaster the club have ever had. Then squeeze into your black and white football shirt again, sit back in your seat and enjoy the show.

Put an end to all this agonising over whether Mark Hughes would be a big enough change of direction after lumpen Sam Allardyce's tenure, or if Louis Van Gaal's tactic of playing without wingers might be wrong for the club.

Blah, blah. Just put Keegan in the ring, let him bang his big drum and watch the place come alive again. Everyone knows Hughes or Van Gaal would be eminently more sensible choices for just about any club vacancy in the land. But what the hell has being 'sensible' got to do with Newcastle? Sensible gets you Allardyce: calculating, direct, playing the percentages. But Newcastle fans don't want practical or safe. They don't want efficient. They might complain about the revolving door on the manager's office at St James' Park, but they moan a hell of a lot more when they're bored.

Win or lose, they want a showman. They crave a reason to be excited, to be inspired. They want to feel passionate about their football, not applaud some gritty goalless draw (not that there's much chance of that at the moment).

The game is consumed with winning and with profits, but there is more to it than that. And Keegan instinctively understands this mentality because he is infected by the same daft madness as the Geordie public. What they want more than anything else is a team they can love.

When people argue his previous reign at Newcastle was a failure because of the lack of trophies, Keegan's reply says a lot about the man. 'But what about the football we played?' he asks. And he doesn't expect an answer.

He knows he created teams at Newcastle that everyone wanted to watch. He understands what this circus crowd wants and he isn't afraid to call a brilliant juggler into the ring; he'll even set off on his own wobbly high-wire routine, where nobody is quite sure if he'll make it to the other side or not.

Then there are the occasions when he has to take a custard pie square in the face — usually from Sir Alex Ferguson. But the ups and downs, all of that drama and seesawing entertainment in the circus, is what grips this city.

The fans are always accused of deluding themselves that they are a big club when a host of Premier League rivals can trump them in any contest for trophy bragging rights. Yet the truth is Newcastle United are a big club. Win or lose, the city is obsessed with one team, to the exclusion of practically everything else.

Ashley can see this. He has been playing the fan himself, sitting with the punters on away trips. Now we'll see if he thinks like one. The first question he has to ask himself is why he bought the club? If it was to make money and sell it on, then he has to secure a resolute, admirable manager like Hughes.

But if he bought it because he'd already made his billions in business and now craved something more in his life, then he has to consider Keegan.

Just look at 'poor' Roman Abramovich. He wanted glory and thrilling entertainment, but then fell out with Jose Mourinho and ended up with Avram Grant doing a Droopy the Dog impression on the touchline. Yes, he's guiding the team admirably, but it is about as far removed from Abramovich's showbusiness expectations as it's possible to get. And for all the money, for all the fame, is Roman excited? I doubt it.

Ashley clearly wants to enjoy himself more than that. He has already had his fingers burned after taking the advice of his close friends, presumably including ex-Spurs director Paul Kelmsley, with that ill-fated approach for Harry Redknapp.

But if he didn't know it before, then he realises by now that football just doesn't operate like any other business. Nothing else is such a tangle of luck, loyalty, lies, money, scrutiny, pride and insanity.

So logic isn't always the best measure when it comes to making football decisions. As Ashley says himself: 'When I bought this club, my gut instinct was to bring in my own team to run it straightaway.'

That's a footballer supporter's language and where Ashley is concerned I'd say that gut instinct must be a considerable force indeed. Keegan would certainly light a fire in that belly.

Fuck Off Daily Mail

I take it you didn't read it then?

Well written minus the circus theme all the way through

fav line -"Then there are the occasions when he has to take a custard pie square in the face — usually from Sir Alex Ferguson. But the ups and downs, all of that drama and seesawing entertainment in the circus, is what grips this city"

Fuck Off Daily Mail

I take it you didn't read it then?

Well written minus the circus theme all the way through

fav line -"Then there are the occasions when he has to take a custard pie square in the face — usually from Sir Alex Ferguson. But the ups and downs, all of that drama and seesawing entertainment in the circus, is what grips this city"

That's what i thought, but tbh, the circus theme pissed me off when i read the title, by the end i felt it quite fitting.

Bit in bold is very true.

I just wonder can we go back there, will it feel the same, or has that ship passed. If we could successfully go back to those times then yep, get him in with Shearer along side him.

Smart move is for Hughes, the heart is somewhat swaying towards a KK/AS combo, it shouldn't but it is.

aye I know what you mean we were the entertainers back in the KK days and it would be great to have it back, back to the issue I am sitting on the fence I want KK to come back and kick ass but I feel that down about the toon at the min i think he will come in and leave with a wimper.

aye I know what you mean we were the entertainers back in the KK days and it would be great to have it back, back to the issue I am sitting on the fence I want KK to come back and kick ass but I feel that down about the toon at the min i think he will come in and leave with a wimper.

Its the chance you take doing something so drastic as bringing back KK, but could Hughes turn this around? Could Houillier? Anything above that quality just isn't going to happen, and for me Hughes is the best British candidate, and Houillier the best realistic foreign candidate for me, yet i think both would struggle, and both don't play the football Ashley is possibly looking for.

KK/AS combo is probably the safest option, two men that love the club, love attacking football and would strive to achieve happiness for the fans. With money they could possibly be a real force, a few heads that have dropped would certainly pick back up, ie Owen, Given, Taylor, and the likes of Barton would be rejuvenated with such characters looking after him. Im not sure how the players would react to anyone else right now, i just know the madness of the whole situation would sweep them up and they couldn't do anything else but buzz from the appointments as like it or not, the majority of the City (not just NUFC fans) want this to happen.

I have deep reservations on whether football has changed too much for KK, if Shearer has enough talent and whether we can get both men in, as for me one or the other is pointless, and i'm letting my heart rule my head when i say this, but i feel its time for a few ghosts to be laid to rest, time to breathe life into this dying club, and bring back some of the best moments we've ever had. Sentimental, but i think i'm ready and willing to accept the appointment now, i wasn't yesterday or even this morning, but it makes too much sense if its done correctly to let it pass by.

Its the chance you take doing something so drastic as bringing back KK, but could Hughes turn this around? Could Houillier? Anything above that quality just isn't going to happen, and for me Hughes is the best British candidate, and Houillier the best realistic foreign candidate for me, yet i think both would struggle, and both don't play the football Ashley is possibly looking for.

KK/AS combo is probably the safest option, two men that love the club, love attacking football and would strive to achieve happiness for the fans. With money they could possibly be a real force, a few heads that have dropped would certainly pick back up, ie Owen, Given, Taylor, and the likes of Barton would be rejuvenated with such characters looking after him. Im not sure how the players would react to anyone else right now, i just know the madness of the whole situation would sweep them up and they couldn't do anything else but buzz from the appointments as like it or not, the majority of the City (not just NUFC fans) want this to happen.

I have deep reservations on whether football has changed too much for KK,  if Shearer has enough talent and whether we can get both men in, as for me one or the other is pointless.

I would personally like Rijkaard I dont know how likely any candidate is as with many money talks and if ashley can put across a winning vision, package and transfer kitty I think we have a good shout for everyone.

As many who dont want KK have pointed out he has been out of the mix for a while, left in bad circumstances and really looked ready for a permanent break after the england mess. I like you probably just have this blind faith that if anyone is going to do it KK can. Shearer does come across as the ideal package to go along side him been in the game due to his press work and has still connections with the club (is he still an official club ambassador?) Is a local lad who loves this club but we may never find out as I dont know how much of a gambler ashley is well shit he did buy us so he must love a gamble

One of the major things that needs to be improved upon is the atmosphere inside SJP on match days. Appointing Hughes would generate a fair bit of ovious apathy about the place. Bringing Keegan back, maybe with Shearer is the only appointment that is guaranteed to get that feel good factor back.

There is way too much negativity about the place at the minute and I think we need a quick fix

Given the realistic alternatives, I'm starting to warm to the idea of a Keegan/Shearer partnership.  Keegan has always had fantastic enthusiasm and people skills while having clear tactical deficiencies, perhaps Shearer would be a good foil for him while Keegan would add the experience if needed? It would certainly be more exciting than the dross seen over the last few years and better than the likes of Hughes and Mclaren! Maybe the job is just the ticket to relight Keegans fire?

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

Given the realistic alternatives, I'm starting to warm to the idea of a Keegan/Shearer partnership.  Keegan has always had fantastic enthusiasm and people skills while having clear tactical deficiencies, perhaps Shearer would be a good foil for him while Keegan would add the experience if needed? It would certainly be more exciting than the dross seen over the last few years and better than the likes of Hughes and Mclaren! Maybe the job is just the ticket to relight Keegans fire?

Was thinking earlier that perhaps we (both the club and fans) are the missing link for KK?

As in maybe he never quite lived up to what he did here anywhere else because he wasn't surrounded by our passion/love? Just a thought anyway?

As said by wullie i think? earlier, I reckon he would of definitely won us something if he stayed a few more years?