Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

4 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

The Joe Harvey plaque is fucking shite, a piss poor effort for a legendary player/manager. 

Deserves better 

I think that was done by the Fairs Cup Group so it was entirely fan led and didn’t have anything to do with the club except for permission to place it in the current location.  Not great but I guess that was all that they could afford.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I assume this has been posted, but should be a decent evening even if it is to promote one of the chuckle brothers books.

He’s alreet Pete - see him and his family quite often in the Northumbrian Piper in Red House Farm. I’d imagine any attendees will be there to see Eddie though rather than get his signature 😂

23 hours ago, OCOCOL said:

He’s alreet Pete - see him and his family quite often in the Northumbrian Piper in Red House Farm. I’d imagine any attendees will be there to see Eddie though rather than get his signature 😂

Met him in the barracks against PSG, seemed like a nice bloke 

16 hours ago, Thomson Mouse said:

He’s not the biggest legend, a legend yes but not the biggest at all

Interested in your view on this, as someone who (I think) has a longer experience of NUFC than me. Which players/managers in our living memory would you see as having more of a positive impact on Newcastle? 

• 3 months later...

Fuck, I miss Kevin and the era he first managed us. Football and life felt a lot less complicated but I’m sure that’s just rose tinted specs. Still love Kevin to death though 

5 hours ago, Paully said:

Love that goal from Beardsley. I wasn’t at the match but I was on Felling bankies, with the dog, and could hear  the celebrations for the final goal and see the helicopter leaving. 

On 14/10/2023 at 12:40, OCOCOL said:

Agree with KK being recognised above SBR. But what about Joe Harvey?

( In all relationships there is a thin line between love and hate - but lot if people forget Sir Bobby having a go at the fans for walking out on his team and many fans forget they were voting with their feet as he’d lost the dressing room.)

always baffled me - no stand named after him or even a statue - just a plaque.

think hughie gallagher needs a statue too.

When you look at the history of the club there's a good few who deserve more recognition. Frank Watt was club secretary for nearly 40 years while we won 4 league titles and an FA Cup, Andy Cunningham followed him as manager in the modern sense and won an FA Cup, Stan Seymour won two FA Cups. Doug Livingstone won an FA Cup as well. I wouldn't be overly familiar with some of those names only I looked it up to be honest.

Given the lack of trophies the club has won in recent decades surely these people who actually achieved success should be honoured in some way around SJP. I've always thought a museum would be a good idea at St James' Park as part of the stadium tour, to tell the story of our league title wins and 6 FA Cup wins amongst everything else in our history. Obviously we haven't won anything in ages but we're still the 9th most successful club in England and we're surely going to win more in the coming years. 

Edited by Decky

1 hour ago, Decky said:

When you look at the history of the club there's a good few who deserve more recognition. Frank Watt was club secretary for nearly 40 years while we won 4 league titles and an FA Cup, Andy Cunningham followed him as manager in the modern sense and won an FA Cup, Stan Seymour won two FA Cups. Doug Livingstone won an FA Cup as well. I wouldn't be overly familiar with some of those names only I looked it up to be honest.

Given the lack of trophies the club has won in recent decades surely these people who actually achieved success should be honoured in some way around SJP. I've always thought a museum would be a good idea at St James' Park as part of the stadium tour, to tell the story of our league title wins and 6 FA Cup wins amongst everything else in our history. Obviously we haven't won anything in ages but we're still the 9th most successful club in England and we're surely going to win more in the coming years. 

There possibly is no Newcastle United without Keegan coming back as manager.

There is no more important figure in the modern history of the club.

Watt was club secretary and gets credited as a surrogate ‘manager’, but ultimately the team was selected by committee and tactics decided by the players.  Watt was simply the most prominent member of the committee. 

Seymour was of course one of the ‘Mr Newcastle’s’, but he dismantled a side which likely could have won more than two FA Cups and dropped possibly Newcastle’s greatest ever centre back - Frank Brennan - to the reserves because he had the temerity to open up a sporting goods shop (Seymour also owned one).  He was a manager who after the 1951 semi final promised every player who played a place in the final side, irrespective of form.  Newcastle were just a few points off top spot with games in hand; they then won one of the next eleven as players simply tried to avoid injury.  Genius stuff. 

Doug Livingstone was a manager who dropped Milburn for the ‘55 FAC Final before the board actively stepped over him and forced Milburn’s selection. Milburn scored after 55 seconds.  Hardly a ringing endorsement of his managerial abilities. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

3 hours ago, huss9 said:

always baffled me - no stand named after him or even a statue - just a plaque.

think hughie gallagher needs a statue too.

That plaque is awful too. Needs something way better 

On 21/01/2024 at 12:45, Coffee_Johnny said:

Love that goal from Beardsley. I wasn’t at the match but I was on Felling bankies, with the dog, and could hear  the celebrations for the final goal and see the helicopter leaving. 

The helicopter was the friendly against Liverpool not Brighton was it not?