Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

KK. Brought us hope and dared us to live the dreams.  Happy Birthday. :smitten:

Happy Birthday to a legend. Perhaps very ironic but sad to see this visionary football man's thread come up at a time when all we are about now is Premier League survival and keeping a sound balance sheet.

According to .com...he's doing a talk-in at Dunston.

Probably old news but I hope someone will record it :D

10 of us going VIP style! I can't wait for it!

Man, I wish I was back home for that.

One day, I hope he will be chairman of our club...........

Happy Birthday to him, wouldn't have him back personally since the first time around was such a case of catching lightning in a bottle which I don't think is repeatable (not in the way he did it then anyway) and I would rather look forward than backwards but only the worlds greatest fool would dispute his achievements at the club and the only shame is missing out on a trophy to cap the success.

The contributions and what have you that he and Sir Bobby Robson did for this club in its darkest of times years ago should have their names firmly planted somewhere in the ground. I think of Sir Alex Ferguson sitting about at home matches now and I think that if Keegan wasn't working, he should be sat in the directors box for life. Instead he was done over by Mike fucking Ashley.

Still angers the fuck out of me.

The contributions and what have you that he and Sir Bobby Robson did for this club in its darkest of times years ago should have their names firmly planted somewhere in the ground. I think of Sir Alex Ferguson sitting about at home matches now and I think that if Keegan wasn't working, he should be sat in the directors box for life. Instead he was done over by Mike fucking Ashley.

Still angers the fuck out of me.

I think it's fair to say that Kevin Keegan and Sir Bobby are the two best English managers of the Premier League era. By some distance.

Guest Howaythetoon

The contributions and what have you that he and Sir Bobby Robson did for this club in its darkest of times years ago should have their names firmly planted somewhere in the ground. I think of Sir Alex Ferguson sitting about at home matches now and I think that if Keegan wasn't working, he should be sat in the directors box for life. Instead he was done over by Mike f***ing Ashley.

Still angers the f*** out of me.

I think it's fair to say that Kevin Keegan and Sir Bobby are the two best English managers of the Premier League era. By some distance.

Without a doubt.

this guy made me fall in love with Newcastle United. Happy birthday, my hero!

yep- went to games with my dad in the 70s- and supermac was my first football hero- but When KK signed in 82 was when I first started going to games with mates, getting season tickets and going to away games.

Was there for his first game back in 92 :smitten:

Took my daughter to her first game when he returned against stoke in the Cup Game. :smitten:

Guest Howaythetoon

He dropped down a division and could have taken it easy here when he joined as a player, but by all accounts he was the first into training, the last to leave and put his heart and soul into every match he played for us. Everyone from that era has nothing but good things to say about him and even though he was a megastar and obviously the fans' favourite he always had time for anyone and everyone.

Some of the stories from that era are legendary, stuff like how he paid for clobber and boots for the academy boys, how he donated money back to the club to improve facilities etc.

I fucking hate, in fact resent, any notion that KK is greedy or selfish. The man paid Terry Mac's wages when he returned as manager because the club couldn't afford it, he also didn't get paid himself, until the club survived. KK also said he would take us off SJH's hands if we went down, effectively becoming our owner and saviour financially.

Under KK every team feared us, domestic and in Europe. Every player wanted to play for us. Opposition fans loved watching us and secretly wished their club was like ours. Those mad 5 years were fucking phenomenal. No club has had such a huge upturn in fortunes in such a short space of time.

Guest Howaythetoon

Under Pardew we are often beaten before a ball has been kicked, under KK it was the exact opposite. I remember Coventry coming here and prior to kick-off their manager publicly hoping to keep the score down. We won 4-0 I think. Under KK the vast majority of the game was like attack vs defence, us the attackers of course. It was ridiculous.

I remembered when we hammered Spurs 7-1, we weren't even at our best and our form was patchy IIRC but we were so potent up front and so attack minded, we could do that to any team. Spurs just happened to be that team on the day. A few months before Man Utd were on the receiving end in that now famous 5-0 win.

Even during his second spell as manager, just look at how he would instruct his players. Winning and the game drawing towards its conclusion and there is KK screaming at Martins to take on his man and to go and get another goal. Contrast it to the "no more goals" Pardew or the "HATAM BACK" Pardew.

That's what is missing from SJP. I can live with defeats and even finishing mid-table but lets fucking go out there to win games, to beat the opposition, to play some fucking football in the way it is meant to be played, good old fashioned style.

I guarantee the atmosphere would improve ten-fold.

Happy Birthday.

Still can't believe that he signed for us as a player. We were utter garbage, going nowhere and somehow the club and S&N pulled the biggest ever rabbit out of the hat. It was the catalyst to all that followed.

He was the model pro for us. We shouldn't have expected anything less. I read a story that he damaged his thigh and he trained that hard that he developed a separate, additional, if you like compensatory muscle. It was quite remarkable how the club stirred and came alive .

Under Pardew we are often beaten before a ball has been kicked, under KK it was the exact opposite. I remember Coventry coming here and prior to kick-off their manager publicly hoping to keep the score down. We won 4-0 I think. Under KK the vast majority of the game was like attack vs defence, us the attackers of course. It was ridiculous.

I remembered when we hammered Spurs 7-1, we weren't even at our best and our form was patchy IIRC but we were so potent up front and so attack minded, we could do that to any team. Spurs just happened to be that team on the day. A few months before Man Utd were on the receiving end in that now famous 5-0 win.

Even during his second spell as manager, just look at how he would instruct his players. Winning and the game drawing towards its conclusion and there is KK screaming at Martins to take on his man and to go and get another goal. Contrast it to the "no more goals" Pardew or the "HATAM BACK" Pardew.

That's what is missing from SJP. I can live with defeats and even finishing mid-table but lets fucking go out there to win games, to beat the opposition, to play some fucking football in the way it is meant to be played, good old fashioned style.

Brought a tear to the eye, that.

Happy Birthday.

Still can't believe that he signed for us as a player. We were utter garbage, going nowhere and somehow the club and S&N pulled the biggest ever rabbit out of the hat. It was the catalyst to all that followed.

He was the model pro for us. We shouldn't have expected anything less. I read a story that he damaged his thigh and he trained that hard that he developed a separate, additional, if you like compensatory muscle. It was quite remarkable how the club stirred and came alive .

82-84 and promotion were a great couple of seasons, great atmosphere in the ground, and the away trips when almost unlimited fans were allowed to travel.

84 promotion season- 3rd highest supported club in country despite being in lower division, only bettered by Man u, Liverpool.

That's what is missing from SJP. I can live with defeats and even finishing mid-table but lets f***ing go out there to win games, to beat the opposition, to play some f***ing football in the way it is meant to be played, good old fashioned style.

Great post mate and it's what I always say! Under KK it was all about us in the build up and a total positive attitude whereas Pardew is the complete opposite!

So many greats memories and If it wasn't for him in 1992 then God knows where the club would be!

Great post mate and it's what I always say! Under KK it was all about us in the build up and a total positive attitude whereas Pardew is the complete opposite!

So many greats memories and If it wasn't for him in 1992 then God knows where the club would be!

Keegan being positive and us playing to our strengths was how we could play 2 games a week because we always worked on what we were doing, not different opposition every week.

What amazes me a little bit, is how everyone on here seems to be in agreement that the Keegan all out attack style is what's fundamentally right for NUFC, yet when you reveal a preference for players who'd fit into such a system - wingers who create and don't graft, midfielders who primarily support the front men and defenders who'll threaten on set pieces - you get criticised.  Bit of a double standard, to be honest.