Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

If Keegan ever got appointed again at NUFC it'd be one of the most delightful days in NUFC's history.  He is the greatest legend of the club in the modern era.

Keegan with an unlimited budget...be like the perfect storm.

"I'd like to do what we did last time and surprise people," Keegan added. "It would be nice to break a world record. Why rule it out. I'd like to bring players here that amaze people and we stop just talking about being a big club - but, with our actions, we show that we are.

''Sometimes people limit themselves by saying, 'we can't do that'. You say 'why not?' and they don't give you an answer. If we can get this club going in the right direction we have the owner who will find us the money for these players. You start by building up trust with the people who provide the finance that you can find these players at the right price. It's easy to get players to a club once it's flying in the right direction.

"It's who you can get. Last time, apart from probably Alan Shearer, most of the people - like David Ginola - it was because something had happened. He had the chance to play at Barcelona but came here."

"I'd like to do what we did last time and surprise people," Keegan added. "It would be nice to break a world record. Why rule it out. I'd like to bring players here that amaze people and we stop just talking about being a big club - but, with our actions, we show that we are.

''Sometimes people limit themselves by saying, 'we can't do that'. You say 'why not?' and they don't give you an answer. If we can get this club going in the right direction we have the owner who will find us the money for these players. You start by building up trust with the people who provide the finance that you can find these players at the right price. It's easy to get players to a club once it's flying in the right direction.

"It's who you can get. Last time, apart from probably Alan Shearer, most of the people - like David Ginola - it was because something had happened. He had the chance to play at Barcelona but came here."

:jesuswept: love that man. Such ambition.

If Keegan ever got appointed again at NUFC it'd be one of the most delightful days in NUFC's history.  He is the greatest legend of the club in the modern era.

Sums up Keegan:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2291229/Kevin-Keegan-ready-to-pay-for-Thierry-Henry.html

:smitten:

Wasn't his transfer list filled with these sort of no-chancers though? Was Frank Lampard not on it as well?  :lol:

Sums up Keegan:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2291229/Kevin-Keegan-ready-to-pay-for-Thierry-Henry.html

Wasn't his transfer list filled with these sort of no-chancers though? Was Frank Lampard not on it as well?  :lol:

'Sometimes people limit themselves by saying, 'we can't do that'. You say 'why not?' and they don't give you an answer.'

Sums up Keegan:

Keegan wasn't one to look at re-sale value, that's probably what worked against him more than anything else under Ashley. Interestingly though, he generally inflated the value of the squad while he was here.

Sums up Keegan:

'Sometimes people limit themselves by saying, 'we can't do that'. You say 'why not?' and they don't give you an answer.'

You also need a bit a realism...would be like Moyes strolling into Man Utd and telling them to sign Messi. You don't need an answer a question like 'Why can't we sign Messi', you just need to laugh :lol:

Sums up Keegan:

You also need a bit a realism...would be like Moyes strolling into Man Utd and telling them to sign Messi. You don't need an answer a question like 'Why can't we sign Messi', you just need to laugh :lol:

I'm sure he had some sort of limit in his mind but I would rather a "we can" than a "we can't" type managing our team even if they are being a little over-ambitious.

Sums up Keegan:

I'm sure he had some sort of limit in his mind but I would rather a "we can" than a "we can't" type managing our team even if they are being a little over-ambitious.

Would be nice, but when we've got a 'we can't' owner at the club, a 'we can' manager is never going to get very far.

Sums up Keegan:

Would be nice, but when we've got a 'we can't' owner at the club, a 'we can' manager is never going to get very far.

At least they can try.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather not be lied to. I have defended Pardew's stance over player sales for example because we know they will be sold if enough money is being offered, "he is not for sale at any price" doesn't placate me so there is no point in Pardew saying it.

That being said I would rather he spoke and more importantly set out the team to play in a more positive manner.

I think there are 4 teams better than us in the league but that doesn't mean I don't think we can finish in the top 4, I don't think we are definitely better than 7 teams in the league but that doesn't mean we can't finish in the top 7. I know we could do well in the cups if we wanted to but we don't. It is all about trying to achieve something, try and be better than the rest. I wouldn't mind finishing 10th and going out of the cups early if we actually tried to do better but we don't. We have a rigid, boring, unambitious plan which is more likely to fail than exceed expectations and that isn't what football should be about.

• 2 weeks later...

That's more likely to be his grandfather is it not? I always thought his father was called Joseph? Might be wrong.

Keegan was born 45 years after that photo was taken, pretty sure its safe to say you are right :lol:

If you are wrong though, :notbad: Frank :notbad: at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Was just looking at Terry Mac's record and he was a fucking coup the same time we signed Keegan like. The season before he dropped a division to join us, he scored 14 in 29 for Liverpool when they won the title. I'd just assumed he was on the way out then.

• 5 weeks later...

Was watching My Sporting Heroes where Steve Harminson was interviewing Kev.

Comparing today's Newcastle with that under Kev (and even before) is like taking two completely different teams, from different sports and different cities. Its frightening how much the whole ethos of the club has changed in the past few years

Guest firetotheworks

When I think back to what Rob fucking Elliot said about Keegan, I wonder who these people are and why they're allowed to play for our club. The bloke should be tied to a horse and taken to the edge of town. It would be bad enough if he'd said he didn't rate Keegan, although fair enough. The fact that he said that Pardew is a better manager is just stomach churning coming from anyone associated with NUFC, let alone an employee.

Imagine what could have been had Fat Mike not hired Dennis f***ing Wise as a DoF to oversee transfer activity. Keegan as manager with Carr recommending players to him would have been perfect. :(

It's fucking typical that it would be Pardew who got the proper scout :lol: