Keegan wants three players in the window, ready made prem stars

Guest Toon83

English Press: Newcastle Set For Mammoth Carrick Bid

The Daily Star claims that Newcastle United are set to unleash a massive bid in an attempt to land Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick...

English tabloid The Daily Star asserts that Newcastle United are set to launch an £18m (€24m) bid for Michael Carrick of Manchester United.

The midfielder, a Tyneside native, arrived at Old Trafford in 2006 in a big-money move from Tottenham Hotspur. His first season saw him establish himself as an integral part of the lineup, while this campaign has seen him endure spells of injury and rotation.

However, he remains a relatively important player to Alex Ferguson, and as such any potential bid from Newcastle would have to be sizable.

To this end, chairman Mike Ashley and new boss Kevin Keegan are said to be willing to splash out in style to strengthen their own ailing central line.

Carrick, 26, has 13 caps for England, having taken part in the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Steve Michaels, Goal.com

I think Man Utd would accept a bid that would see them break even on Carrick, though. He would be an excellent signing for us, just what we need.

Yep, hes exactly what we need and.....(*whispers - a geordie too?*)

the man utd fans are crying already :lol:

http://www.redcafe.net/f9/carrick-line-18m-toon-return-183457/

I love the modesty "he is a regular in the best team in the world"... Man U are very very good but I think AC Milan may have something to say about it all

I think there's something in the Carrick rumour.

I think he's coming home people.

Anderson's progress has been quicker than they anticipated and with Hargreaves, Scholes and even the likes of Fletcher and O'Shea still on the books they would let him go.

Weren't they sniffing around for Masherano too? If we gave them the money they paid for Carrick they could probably nick Mascherano off Liverpool.

I think Man Utd would accept a bid that would see them break even on Carrick, though. He would be an excellent signing for us, just what we need.

Yep, hes exactly what we need and.....(*whispers - a geordie too?*)

the man utd fans are crying already :lol:

http://www.redcafe.net/f9/carrick-line-18m-toon-return-183457/

I love the modesty "he is a regular in the best team in the world"... Man U are very very good but I think AC Milan may have something to say about it all

Aren't they 8th or so in their league?

Did Carrick suddenly develop the talent to be a good creative midfielder over night or something?

He fits the bill perfectly - solid dm with class distribution, can hold while zog bombs forward as well as unlock defences. Would be a terrific signing imo.

Did Carrick suddenly develop the talent to be a good creative midfielder over night or something?

Um ... yeah that's his game. His passing of the ball is excellent.

Is this a joke?

No.  I think he is vastly overrated and is worth about half of what Man Utd paid for him.

Um ... yeah that's his game. His passing of the ball is excellent.

Is this a joke?

No.  I think he is vastly overrated and is worth about half of what Man Utd paid for him.

This. Not complaining if we get him but he really isnt worth half that amount of money.

Dont see any grain of truth in Micah Richards or SWP's.. even if they were interested neither club are willing to part with them.

I dunno. I suspect what with Carrick being a local lad, there's a bit too much sentimentality going on in some people's valuations...I doubt he's worth as much as Man Utd paid for him really - but that would be the bottom line for any offer, and would most likely end up with us paying a good £5m more on top as well. :undecided:

Would be dubious paying £20m for him, id like to see Makoun or evengo for Maschereno at that price. Think hes exactly the type of player we need though, ball playing centre midfileder, then all we'd be missing would be a right winger and the final piece of the jigsw would be a AM.

Carrick

Deco

RW - Id actually love Quresma or even Lenon, or even Barnes, might be worth a pop. Possibilities are endless.

I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on Barnes.

However I don't think we'll get him this window - Derby have invested heavily and brought in a lot of new players in an attempt to drag themselves up the table. To let go of their prize asset would all but condemn them to relegation and undo all the work they've done in this transfer window. So I can't see it happening myself.

Best hope for us getting Barnes is for Derby to go down (Not that I wish them relegation, I'd much prefer to see Sunderland and Middlesbrough rooted to the bottom!) and then I think they'll accept a sensible offer.

I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on Barnes.

However I don't think we'll get him this window - Derby have invested heavily and brought in a lot of new players in an attempt to drag themselves up the table. To let go of their prize asset would all but condemn them to relegation and undo all the work they've done in this transfer window. So I can't see it happening myself.

Best hope for us getting Barnes is for Derby to go down (Not that I wish them relegation, I'd much prefer to see Sunderland and Middlesbrough rooted to the bottom!) and then I think they'll accept a sensible offer.

Definately one player I hope we are bidding for. Like you say summer is the realistic time, but we certainly wont be alone in bidding for him.

Deco, Carrick and SWP's would turn our season upside down. Delusions aside, we wont be seeing any in a toon shirt.