Dennis Wise interviewed on NUFC.co.uk (page 23)

Guest Toon83
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Come back Freddie, all is forgiven.

It is certainly starting to feel like a circus

Only to us as we are looking at it so emotionally. To Mort, he is just bringing in the people he thinks can do the job. Whether Wise can or cant remains to be seen but Mort has to make decisions detatched from all that.

Feeling will sharp change if the team/club improve.

We really have to stop being so small minded.

I'm not sure how it small minded to question the decision to bring in someone at DOF who has no experience at DOF?

Granted I am assuming that it is DOF and this may be wrong so perhaps I should wait and see but it really is a random choice from a man who has no football experience.

Those comments by Keegan does NOT say "I know nothing about it." It's very likely that Keegan has said okay to Wise, but after all, it's not his job to convice him to come or talk to the chairman of Leeds, which is why he'd say that you'd have to ask Mort and that he's convincing for the Arsenal game. Stop assuming the worst.

Is it as DOF or AM ?? or do we not know yet ?

No-one knows a thing but that won't stop people going 'OMFG THIS IS A CIRCUS HOW DID KK NOT KNOW AND MORT IS EVIL AND ASHLEY HAS NO MONEY, OH NO RELEGATION GURANTEED NOW COZ MORINYO SAID NO OH FFS KILL ME NOW' etc..

lol

In terms of bringing in a young manager who's been out and got his hands dirty in lower leagues with creditable results, I'm pleased.

In terms of Wise + Keegan, I'm confused.

Aye, that's my take on things. Wise is a bit of a twat but he's done considerably well in the lower leagues, baring in mind he went immediately into management after playing. Got Millwall into Europe and near the play-offs and has been unlucky with Leeds.

But if he's coming in as a Director of Football, ie making the signings and whatnot, i'm confused and pretty annoyed. Keegan hasn't had that before and he doesn't need it.

A DOF doesn't necisarrily make the signings, the set up at Spurs isn't the blueprint for how all clubs have to do it.

For all Allardyce's faults he did start putting some foundations in behind the scenes, Keegan even said that himself the other day, the problem is football is too big to expect one man to run everything which I've been saying for years now, the manager should be in charge of the first team and that's it, that's what he should be concentrating on and not wasting his time trying to set about developing our youth programme and go about organising scouting missions, do people expect Keegan to sign young lads like Tozer, Kadar etc? I don't and I don't want him spending time that he could be devoting to the first team doing it either, leave it to someone else.

The man should be independent from the manager too, we've seen in the past when Robson was sacked that the whole backroom staff leave and it often leaves the club with a massive rebuilding job, I don't think Wise will have any influence over Keegan and Keegan won't have any influence over Wise, people need to try and separate the two roles and realise on a daily basis they have little to do with each other.

As for Wise, he wouldn't have been my choice but I'm going off my opinion of him as a player and what he's done as a manager, I don't know what he's like as a person or how he goes about things behind the scenes, someone has obviously tipped the club off in regards to what he has to offer in such a role so lets wait and see how he gets on.

I don't see the problem with this, Wise is experienced, has done a good job with Leeds and will be a good person to add to the staff im sure. Why are people making out that Keegan has had nothing to do with this? Do you really think they would get Keegan in and then go behind his back to build up a back-room staff of their choice? Not a chance.

Is it as DOF or AM ?? or do we not know yet ?

It was reported that he would be involved in everything apart form the first team. If he was going to be assistant you would think that Keegan had chosen him, and I can't see Kev choosing Wise and he doesnt seem to know much about it .

Guest Micktoon

Until the club makes an official statement regarding this i'll reserve judgement, however it does seem to be a bit of a random appointment.

Always hated the little fuck but it appears he is now our little fuck, so welcome to the madness that is Newcastle United Dennis.

Some people are ver fickle. Which football club DOF is big name? I just don't get it I kind like this kind of appointment basically because it is out of the box. I am sure this is more to do with Ashley and Mort rather than Keegan but the more they involved the more thier revolution gather pace. Can't wait next season.

Come back Freddie, all is forgiven.

It is certainly starting to feel like a circus

Only to us as we are looking at it so emotionally. To Mort, he is just bringing in the people he thinks can do the job. Whether Wise can or cant remains to be seen but Mort has to make decisions detatched from all that.

Feeling will sharp change if the team/club improve.

We really have to stop being so small minded.

I'm not sure how it small minded to question the decision to bring in someone at DOF who has no experience at DOF?

Granted I am assuming that it is DOF and this may be wrong so perhaps I should wait and see but it really is a random choice from a man who has no football experience.

Agreed that its not small minded to be worried about complaining about appointing a man for a position that he has no experience in.

I get the impression though that most of the negative comments are all based on either the fact that he is a cockney or the relationship that he had with the fans when he was a player.

The Guardian adds:

Wise has guided Leeds to fifth place in League One despite the club starting the season with a 15-point penalty. However, he has grown disenchanted with life at Elland Road since his assistant and good friend, Gus Poyet, left to become Juande Ramos's No2 at Tottenham, and is understood to want a change of pace from the day-to-day grind of football management.

Indeed Newcastle will allow him to spend just a few days a week on Tyneside, with the rest in London.

In terms of bringing in a young manager who's been out and got his hands dirty in lower leagues with creditable results, I'm pleased.

In terms of Wise + Keegan, I'm confused.

Aye, that's my take on things. Wise is a bit of a twat but he's done considerably well in the lower leagues, baring in mind he went immediately into management after playing. Got Millwall into Europe and near the play-offs and has been unlucky with Leeds.

But if he's coming in as a Director of Football, ie making the signings and whatnot, i'm confused and pretty annoyed. Keegan hasn't had that before and he doesn't need it.

A DOF doesn't necisarrily make the signings, the set up at Spurs isn't the blueprint for how all clubs have to do it.

For all Allardyce's faults he did start putting some foundations in behind the scenes, Keegan even said that himself the other day, the problem is football is too big to expect one man to run everything which I've been saying for years now, the manager should be in charge of the first team and that's it, that's what he should be concentrating on and not wasting his time trying to set about developing our youth programme and go about organising scouting missions, do people expect Keegan to sign young lads like Tozer, Kadar etc? I don't and I don't want him spending time that he could be devoting to the first team doing it either, leave it to someone else.

The man should be independent from the manager too, we've seen in the past when Robson was sacked that the whole backroom staff leave and it often leaves the club with a massive rebuilding job, I don't think Wise will have any influence over Keegan and Keegan won't have any influence over Wise, people need to try and separate the two roles and realise on a daily basis they have little to do with each other.

As for Wise, he wouldn't have been my choice but I'm going off my opinion of him as a player and what he's done as a manager, I don't know what he's like as a person or how he goes about things behind the scenes, someone has obviously tipped the club off in regards to what he has to offer in such a role so lets wait and see how he gets on.

good post. still, it is a bit baffling why they've chosen Wise.

ATTENTION!

Look at other DOF's in England.

Comolli was a youth coach, and then a scout before becoming a technical director.

Arnesen was an assistant manager before becoming a DOF.

They both started from not very much. Wise has experience as a manager, plus several high quality contacts from his playing days. That is more than can be said of the other two.

This is actually a very ambitious and creative move. Britain doesn't do Director's of Football or technical directors. Those that are here are poached from the outside, and lets face it, not all clubs are going to be able to find one from another league.

This is the first genuine attempt to create a British DOF for a British club, and should be commended, even if it doesn't work out.

Wise will be first of many new faces added to the staff to aid with the running of the club, not as a DOF or a NO2, executive management is what its being called, all part of the big plan that attracted Keegan back to the club!!

ATTENTION!

Look at other DOF's in England.

Comolli was a youth coach, and then a scout before becoming a technical director.

Arnesen was an assistant manager before becoming a DOF.

They both started from not very much. Wise has experience as a manager, plus several high quality contacts from his playing days. That is more than can be said of the other two.

This is actually a very ambitious and creative move. Britain doesn't do Director's of Football or technical directors. Those that are here are poached from the outside, and lets face it, not all clubs are going to be able to find one from another league.

This is the first genuine attempt to create a British DOF for a British club, and should be commended, even if it doesn't work out.

It was a big enough gamble to put the short-term future of the club into the hands of Keegan and McDermott, and now we're taking an even bigger gamble with the long term future......seemingly.

Quite frankly, I think the Chubby Charver and his Speccy Sidekick have lost the plot.

Still, at least the debt's gone.

Wasn't David Pleat DOF at spurs? That was the first british DOF...judge for yourself if that was a success or not!

Aye, and we had Gordon Milne.

Neither were in DOF roles that you would see on the continent. These were just head scouts that took the caretakers position where required.