Spurs sign Jonathan Woodgate

Leazes1986

Guest nwgeordie

Southgate just announced on Sky Sports tonight that no bids have been received for any Boro' players. He claims he is under no pressure to sell players.

Oregongeordie

Spuds are welcome to him, especially for that price. Cover for King, but who are they buying as cover for Woodgate?

Matthew Upson

£10m for Zeke is being reported as having been accepted.  We just need Levy to stop haggling over wages and get the deal done.  At least 3 deals have gone down the tubes this window because of pennypinching on wages.

Guest RealGeordie

thats exactly what Spurs need, another incredibly injury prone centre back!

:thup: Excactly the same as I think. If we (or Spurs) sign him, we have a decent lad at the back four (maybe the best we had when he played under Bobby), but he would be another Owen. Just think it's not very intelligent, I would prefer to sign another one.

Guest johnson293

Boro want £8mill so i hear and Woody will want a massive wage..

I've said it before - best defender I've seen play for us, but the fee (and wages) would worry me.

His injury record has improved, but surely what we need is a bit of stability and try and form a settled back four.

Even for Boro, he's been in and out quite a bit over the last 18 months.

The figures quoted earlier in the thread are for 'appearances'. Would be interested to know how many full games he's finished.

The Mail are now saying a Spurs offer of £7m has been accepted!!  Not happy tbh if it's true.

Spurs and Middlesbrough agree £7million fee for Woodgate

Last updated at 23:09pm on 24th January 2008

Comments

Tottenham have had a £7million offer for Jonathan Woodgate accepted by Middlesbrough, who have given the defender permission to talk with the London club.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=510225&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

Wonder if we'll match that now or not?  If Ashley wants to give Keegan a blank cheque,  it'd seem a bit silly not to use it to outbid/match another clubs offer for a supposed target.  If given the choice,  i'd like to think Woodgate would choose us.

No doubt in my mind that if he did have the choice, Woody would choose Newcastle.

he turned us down to goto boro, cant see him having a problem turning us down for spurs,

££££££££££

No, location.

Northern lad, played for Newcastle before, wouldn't have to move.  If he did have the choice I can't think of one good reason why he would opt for Spurs.

From The Daily Smog:

Spurs home in on Woodgate

Jan 25 2008 by Anthony Vickers and Adam Steel, Evening Gazette

Jonathan Woodgate

SPURS were today set to open transfer talks with Boro defender Jonathan Woodgate.

The London outfit were given permission to discuss personal terms with the classy England stopper after the clubs agreed a fee believed to be in the region of 8m.

Tottenham boss Juande Ramos is rebuilding his defence and wants the cultured Boro-born stopper to be the king-pin in that.

Woodgate had been linked with interest from Newcastle and the club insisted they were not under any pressure to sell the centre-back to balance the books or fund a move for Brazilian striker Afonso Alves.

But Boro boss Gareth Southgate also stressed that he was ready to shuffle his squad if he thought it was to the long-term benefit of the club.

Woodgate arrived at Boro on a loan term loan from Real Madrid in August 2006 as he looked to rebuild his career after a serious injury and was outstanding as he helped the club to Premiership safety.

He sealed a permanent 7m move in May but since then his career at Boro has stalled with renewed injury lay-offs and a struggle for full fitness.

In the meantime Boro have been blessed in central defence with the emergence of David Wheater and return to fitness of Robert Huth and Emanuel Pogatetz and clearly now find a Spurs offer too tempting to refuse.

The news that Boro are willing to sell may tempt Newcastle to firm up their interest with a concrete offer to take him back to St James Park.

Kevin Keegan is a big fan of Woodgate and gave him his international debut at the age of 19.

Southgate, meanwhile, believes there is a “pretty good chance” of Boro signing Afonso Alves but efforts to sign Fred appear dead.

Boro are yet to agree a fee with Heerenveen for Alves but Southgate is optimistic that a deal will go through in time to beat the transfer deadline. Chairman Steve Gibson and chief executive Keith Lamb are currently trying to reach an agreement with the Eredivisie outfit over an acceptable price tag.

The Dutch FA’s ruling that Alves did not sign a binding contract with AZ Alkmaar has left the door open for Boro, who will have to pay a club record fee to land him.

Southgate said: “I think the chances of getting Alves are pretty good. I can’t put a time scale on it. Keith and Steve are dealing with that and dealing with Heerenveen but obviously we had to wait for the outcome of the court case to progress. Most of the parties are willing but we have to try to agree a fee with the club and that is not going to be straightforward.

“Eighteen million euros was the fee agreed with AZ Alkmaar but the player doesn’t want to go there.”

The Gazette’s latest on-line poll reveals 44% of fans would sell Jonathan Woodgate while 48% wouldn’t and 8% would sell only to fund a new striker.

Its no great loss if we miss out on him.

£7m+ for a player with a horrific injury record, massive wages, suspect off field activities including getting arrested, smashing a glass over his own head, getting his jaw broken and to be seen almost every weekend while at NUFC in Foundation with Kate Lawler, not to mention being off form that much a teenager is outshining him and even his own fans aren't too fussed about letting him go....breath...is certainly one that can pass us by.

If Woody of old came back then it would be a special move, i just feel he's burning out after playing far too many games recently, he's not used to it.

Woodgate & King is a fantastic partnership, but how many games together would you get out of that, are both of those players the same since they made their massive reputations?

Boro could be using Spurs to try and force better terms out of us I reckon.

Wouldn't be surprised if they rejected an identical offer from us just to force us to pay extra or offer Smith or Shola as leverage.

As the window closes on 1st of February, does anybody believe that we will sign someone until then? I've lost a bit of my hope, because of all that talk.  >:(

Probably something did go on behind the scenes. Who knows?

Suggestions?

Boro could be using Spurs to try and force better terms out of us I reckon.

Wouldn't be surprised if they rejected an identical offer from us just to force us to pay extra or offer Smith or Shola as leverage.

Stop dreaming :lol: