Aston Villa V Newcastle Pre-Match Thread 9/2/08 12.45 Kick Off

Jamie

Given

Beye Cacapa Taylor Enrique

Milner  Faye  Barton  Duff

Owen  Martins

Not a bad line up, shame Young is back, as I think they will miss Agbonlahor less than Young. Guess it'll be Carew and Harewood upfront for them, which aint a bad strikeforce for Young to be feeding chances too. Need Beye and Milner to have good games.

Villa's been one of those places where we've had a good record. Wouldn't surprise me if, along with the Riverside, that's been our best away ground since we came back up.

Played: 14

Won: 6

Lost: 3

Drew: 5

23 points out of 42.

Not a bad record actually.

Villa's been one of those places where we've had a good record. Wouldn't surprise me if, along with the Riverside, that's been our best away ground since we came back up.

Played: 14

Won: 6

Lost: 3

Drew: 5

23 points out of 42.

Not a bad record actually.

Records are ancient history. Got nothing to do with the result or performance for that matter...

Given

Beye    Faye      Cacapa    Enrique

Milner      Emre      Barton    Duff

Viduka    Owen

Oba on after about 60. Would have put Faye in midfield but need him up against Carew.

Best we can hope for is a draw 1-1  ???

We can hope for a 5-Nowt drubbing of the brummie bassads.

Might not get it like.  I know all my stupid bets are going to be optimistic.  Had a very optimistic one for Sunday, tried to bet we'd win 3-1 and accidently bet it would be 3-1 at half time.  Thought 50-1 was bloody good odds.

Seen Villa a load of times this season and they rarely look like scoring from open play but they are deadly from set pieces.  So we should have no bother there then with Givens chronic fear of all things aerial and very little in the way of height in the rest of the team.  We really need to start Viduka if he's fit as much for his extra height when defending set pieces than anything else.

Another way of looking at it is that only Arsenal, Man United and Spurs have scored more than us this season.

The set pieces thing is overdone. Until a fair way into this season, Villa fans were moaning that we never score from them. We're on a bit of a run now, mind.

Given

Beye    Faye      Cacapa    Enrique

Milner      Emre      Barton    Duff

Viduka    Owen

Oba on after about 60. Would have put Faye in midfield but need him up against Carew.

just standing next to him should suffice, carew is bloody awful

Given

Beye    Faye      Cacapa     Enrique

Milner      Emre      Barton     Duff

Viduka    Owen

just standing next to him should suffice, carew is bloody awful

What should we station next to Viduka? Inanimate object should be sufficient.

PS ;)

Seen Villa a load of times this season and they rarely look like scoring from open play but they are deadly from set pieces.  So we should have no bother there then with Givens chronic fear of all things aerial and very little in the way of height in the rest of the team.  We really need to start Viduka if he's fit as much for his extra height when defending set pieces than anything else.

Another way of looking at it is that only Arsenal, Man United and Spurs have scored more than us this season.

The set pieces thing is overdone. Until a fair way into this season, Villa fans were moaning that we never score from them. We're on a bit of a run now, mind.

You've scored a hell of a lot from set pieces according to Sky Sports.

Goals from open play: 23 (incl. OG's)

Goals from set pieces: 21

I'd guess that's quite a lot higher than most other teams.