Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Martins main asset is pace and he can't use it while he's carrying an injury. He's probably best used sparingly off the bench for the run in.

he's never really used it when fit.

At least he was capable of pulling wide and getting on the end of a long ball when he was fit. He got in behind Distin yesterday but was easily over-hauled.

For someone who relies on confidence so much it is not going to pretty watching him play in our current team of worthless cowards who inspire no confidence in anyone. The greater the pressure and the lower the confidence in our team the less of a player Martins will look unfortunately.

And yet he is still the most likely to score the goals we need to stay up.

Put him in a team that is playing well where other players around him can make things happen and it isn't all on him and he is dynamite. It's always been the case with this guy.

An Everton or a Villa would be smart to take a flye ron him in the summer for around £8 million. He would be a very good player in either of these teams.

Guest toonlass

Skied two sitters in two games. Has no real pace. Has very little between the ears. Can turn attack into defence with one touch.

I feel more confident every minute he's on the pitch. Get Ranger on.

A lad in front of me going down the stairs at the end said more or less the same thing. He said " Oba cost us a draw at spurs and a win tonight".

He has been very poor lately, but at least he is still finding himself in these positions and trying to score. It's a shame he hasn't managed it.

Where are all our other strikers though? Who else is stepping up to the plate and trying to take some responsibility? Who else is getting shots in on goal?

Say what you will, and I do agree he has been poor of late but at least Oba isn't hiding.

Guest neesy111

all of our stikers super-star strikers are simply not good enough

oba doesn't have a footballing brain and will never ever improve

owen is finished and doesn't give an arse

viduka simply isn't fit enough

these combined earn 270k a week, makes me sick

He has been very poor lately, but at least he is still finding himself in these positions and trying to score. It's a shame he hasn't managed it.

Where are all our other strikers though? Who else is stepping up to the plate and trying to take some responsibility? Who else is getting shots in on goal?

Say what you will, and I do agree he has been poor of late but at least Oba isn't hiding.

Neither were the two other strikers who played last night, actually.

Guest neesy111

Skied two sitters in two games. Has no real pace. Has very little between the ears. Can turn attack into defence with one touch.

A lad in front of me going down the stairs at the end said more or less the same thing. He said " Oba cost us a draw at spurs and a win tonight".

never mind his penalty miss v arsenal as well

Owen is hiding 99.9% of the time he is on the pitch.

Viduka hasn't even managed to find his way on to the pitch and has been hiding in treatment rooms.

That has to be questioned due to the dubious nature of his withdrawl against Stoke.

Viduka hasn't even managed to find his way on to the pitch and has been hiding in treatment rooms.

:lol: If Owen was hiding he wouldn't have stolen Martins's throughball to fluff that 1v1, and he was doing plenty of defending for us on top of that (not his job though, and should have saved his stamina for making runs to get on the end of things instead). Fuck off with the Viduka comment, what is he supposed to do about that?

:lol: If Owen was hiding he wouldn't have stolen Martins's throughball to fluff that 1v1, and he was doing plenty of defending for us on top of that (not his job though, and should have saved his stamina for making runs to get on the end of things instead). f*** off with the Viduka comment, what is he supposed to do about that?

You know what you're right. Owen isn't so much hiding he's just become a really really rubbish striker who never gets attempts in on goal because he cannot shoot from outside the box, cannot go by anyone or make any meaningful contributions to general play (the occasional cute but non-incisive link up play DOES NOTHING!). You keep waiting on that perfect ball Micheael, so we can all watch you fluff it again with another one of those pathetically weak strikes of yours.

What can Viduka do? How about making a commitment to his team and taking better care of his body? He's a disgrace. All his fitness problems have clearly been down to the despicable condition he is in.

It's probably bollocks but if we had the chance to swap Darren Bent for Martins late in the Jan 09 transfer window (mentioned on transfer deadline day, I think), then we were mad not to do it.  I said I'd prefer Bent to Martins then, and plenty of people disagreed with me.  I would now kill to have someone of Darren Bent's quality or better going into our final 4 games.

:lol: If Owen was hiding he wouldn't have stolen Martins's throughball to fluff that 1v1, and he was doing plenty of defending for us on top of that (not his job though, and should have saved his stamina for making runs to get on the end of things instead). f*** off with the Viduka comment, what is he supposed to do about that?

You know what you're right. Owen isn't so much hiding he's just become a really really rubbish striker who never gets attempts in on goal because he cannot shoot from outside the box, cannot go by anyone or make any meaningful contributions to general play (the occasional cute but non-incisive link up play DOES NOTHING!). You keep waiting on that perfect ball Micheael, so we can all watch you fluff it again with another one of those pathetically weak strikes of yours.

What can Viduka do? How about making a commitment to his team and taking better care of his body? He's a disgrace. All his fitness problems have clearly been down to the despicable condition he is in.

Or they both could be out on the piss all of the time like Martins does.

I'm pretty sure Martins doesn't drink.

i dont think its coincidence that he's spotted out on the lash all the time now and he's had a very poor season. i dont remember this being the case when he first arrived and he looked pretty good.

i hope you pushed him down the stairs, what a laughable statement

It's tough to watch when he tries to drop deep and get involved in the play.

Destined to forever be and incredibly frustrating player to have on your team, just hope one of those moments of rare unpredictable quality gets produced in the next few weeks.

Martins like many of the other players in our squad looks like a player lacking confidence. We all know the lad is as erratic as they come but he doesn't seem to be backing himself in front of goal. The penalty incident summed it up for, he completely bottled it. You could see as soon as he stepped up he didn't fancy himself to put it away.

He has all the attributes of a class player: pace, power, strength and a good leap on him too but all this is wasted if he doesn't have the confidence to put the ball in the back of the net. What caused this sudden loss of self belief? Was it being benched by the gaffer? Is it the way his side is playing? Is he feeling sorry for himself? Or was it the penalty miss in question? More likely still is it a combination of the lot? Either way the lad has got to get himself a goal.

You tend to find strikers go through these patches, we're just unlucky it's come at such an inopportune time. All he needs is a shot to deflect in off a body part or tap in on the line and he'll go on a run. Unfortunately the way the team is playing he may not get that chance. However in the ever more likely even we go down it will be sad to see a quality coach utilising his talents giving him the confidence to go out and score on a regular basis.

Regarding Owen I don't think he's hiding either. Where I think Martins has lost self belief it's Owens playing style that’s making him ineffective. Martins is self sufficient and can create his own chances but Owen needs regular service to get himself a goal.

My biggest gripe with Owen is that he'll miss two or three guilt edge chances before he knocks one in, that’s why the supply to him needs to be constant. A supply he just isn't going to get in a struggling team such as ourselves, it sounds daft but I think he's made for a team like Stoke who keep the ball in and around the box. The lack of service means he has to drop deeper to try and influence play which is making him pretty ineffective of what he's good at.

Owen and Martins are both talented players with different capabilities but they are both suffering from very different problems which in effect are consequences of the way the team are playing. Its cause and effect, it's one of the reasons we are where we are but at the same time they're not scoring because of where we are. It's a vicious circle I'd love to see broken but I can't see Owen going on a scoring run. I think our main hope is Martins sorts himself out because on his day he's capable of troubling any team.

Destined to forever be and incredibly frustrating player to have on your team, just hope one of those moments of rare unpredictable quality gets produced in the next few weeks.

It will always be his nature. His real value is in the mayhem he creates for defenders when he is full of confidence and buzzing around the place. He will score you goals but is not exactly a clinical guy that you can count on every single time.

With no one else around him even looking a goal threat and with him trying harder and pressing more and more he will only look worse. He's not someone you want trying too hard to do everything as it can really look messy then.

Aye, I wish he'd stop doing that, tbh. Leave that to Owen, he's good at controlling the ball and rarely gives it away. Reckon it's extra important now that he's carrying an injury that he focuses on working the flanks and making penetrating runs rather than wasting energy on dropping deep.

Martins like many of the other players in our squad looks like a player lacking confidence. We all know the lad is as erratic as they come but he doesn't seem to be backing himself in front of goal. The penalty incident summed it up for, he completely bottled it. You could see as soon as he stepped up he didn't fancy himself to put it away.

He has all the attributes of a class player: pace, power, strength and a good leap on him too but all this is wasted if he doesn't have the confidence to put the ball in the back of the net. What caused this sudden loss of self belief? Was it being benched by the gaffer? Is it the way his side is playing? Is he feeling sorry for himself? Or was it the penalty miss in question? More likely still is it a combination of the lot? Either way the lad has got to get himself a goal.

You tend to find strikers go through these patches, we're just unlucky it's come at such an inopportune time. All he needs is a shot to deflect in off a body part or tap in on the line and he'll go on a run. Unfortunately the way the team is playing he may not get that chance. However in the ever more likely even we go down it will be sad to see a quality coach utilising his talents giving him the confidence to go out and score on a regular basis.

Regarding Owen I don't think he's hiding either. Where I think Martins has lost self belief it's Owens playing style that’s making him ineffective. Martins is self sufficient and can create his own chances but Owen needs regular service to get himself a goal.

My biggest gripe with Owen is that he'll miss two or three guilt edge chances before he knocks one in, that’s why the supply to him needs to be constant. A supply he just isn't going to get in a struggling team such as ourselves, it sounds daft but I think he's made for a team like Stoke who keep the ball in and around the box. The lack of service means he has to drop deeper to try and influence play which is making him pretty ineffective of what he's good at.

Owen and Martins are both talented players with different capabilities but they are both suffering from very different problems which in effect are consequences of the way the team are playing. Its cause and effect, it's one of the reasons we are where we are but at the same time they're not scoring because of where we are. It's a vicious circle I'd love to see broken but I can't see Owen going on a scoring run. I think our main hope is Martins sorts himself out because on his day he's capable of troubling any team.

Good post.