Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

Yeah we offered far more for Aubameyang allegedly so it can't be that we can't afford it.

I think it's more about getting the absolute best value on a particular player than spending the minimum overall. The effect is kind of the same though, obviously.

Well that's part of the reason we are no longer losing millions on players season after season like we used to do under the previous regime. Think Luque, Viana, Boumsong and Owen just to name a few. It's frustrating but if you are a mug then other clubs will see you coming a mile off.

As always there is the option of finding a happy medium where and when necessary.

Sure, the problem with that line of argument is that it's almost impossible for us to know when and were that does or doesn't happen, because we don't know the details of negotiations.

Pissed off with this like. Understand our stance though.

Lyon need to get realistic with their valuation. Within the last year or his contract, we have offered a very reasonable price. From the noises their chairman has made all along we have always been close. We have since reportedly raised our offer 3m. They are playing games to get as much out or us as possible. Downside is bent now moving ahead of him in our search.

Bent is even more expensive at £8m and he's a year older and probably a lesser player. The price will have to drop for both deals to have any chance of going through. I reckon we'd be more likely to go higher for Gomis than Bent.

Yeah we offered far more for Aubameyang allegedly so it can't be that we can't afford it.

I think it's more about getting the absolute best value on a particular player than spending the minimum overall. The effect is kind of the same though, obviously.

Well that's part of the reason we are no longer losing millions on players season after season like we used to do under the previous regime. Think Luque, Viana, Boumsong and Owen just to name a few. It's frustrating but if you are a mug then other clubs will see you coming a mile off.

As always there is the option of finding a happy medium where and when necessary.

Sure, the problem with that line of argument is that it's almost impossible for us to know when and were that does or doesn't happen, because we don't know the details of negotiations.

I agree but you've got to admit this one looks one of the more straight forward ones RE: figures and rumours.

That might still happen, you rarely get two clubs agreeing on a price at the first attempt, especially when you are dealing with clubs abroad.

I agree but you've got to admit this one looks one of the more straight forward ones RE: figures and rumours.

I guess so... personally I would pay and extra couple of million to get Gomis in. But I'm not going to say the club should always pay whatever the selling club asks no matter what, that was our problem in the past.

Guest Bert Shaft

On a small "to be fair" note that I know nobody will give any time to... we would have had a few French internationals arriving now if we hadn't brought them forward to January.

Thought "those" players that came  in January arrived  6 months late if anything!

On a small "to be fair" note that I know nobody will give any time to... we would have had a few French internationals arriving now if we hadn't brought them forward to January.

Thought "those" players that came  in January arrived  6 months late if anything!

Aye, that's a fair point.

I guess so... personally I would pay and extra couple of million to get Gomis in. But I'm not going to say the club should always pay whatever the selling club asks no matter what, that was our problem in the past.

That's fair enough but I'm not advocating the latter. Sometimes the need is worth that extra £m or so though.

Our negotiators are fucking mental.

:lol: Anything we can imagine is probably tame compared to the actual tactics in negotiations.

JFK probably shows up for them in a horse mask and toga.

As usual i'm a fortnight late on this, but having scouted him on youtube for an hour i reckon he'd go down a storm here. If he could find some consistency that is.

Their owner / chairman / whatever sounds a right dingbat mind.

We act as if we're negotiating from a position of strength when in fact we have significant need up front, too.  And pressure from supporters, players, and media to buy. Lyon will know that - and can at the very least drag the process out longer while we twist in the wind. 

You really should have contingency plans based on when things don't go as you expect or want them to. Our contingency plan seems to be Shola. This is part of the idea of ambition - players and supporters alike want to at least have the illusion that their club can win something - or is trying damn hard to do so.  That's why this has been such a dispiriting summer thus far. We're barely even pretending we're trying to improve the squad.

We act as if we're negotiating from a position of strength when in fact we have significant need up front, too.  And pressure from supporters, players, and media to buy. Lyon will know that - and can at the very least drag the process out longer while we twist in the wind. 

You really should have contingency plans based on when things don't go as you expect or want them to. Our contingency plan seems to be Shola. This is part of the idea of ambition - players and supporters alike want to at least have the illusion that their club can win something - or is trying damn hard to do so.  That's why this has been such a dispiriting summer thus far. We're barely even pretending we're trying to improve the squad.

What about Remy? Isn't he part of the contingency plan? If we were to sign him on loan I would think that gives us two quality forwards, which is pretty much what we were aiming for last January.

We kind of invent our own position of strength, because we've decided we're going to be hard line in negotiations no matter what (or pretty close anyway). Our squad situation is neither hear or there as far as the selling club is concerned.

What about Remy? Isn't he part of the contingency plan? If we were to sign him on loan I would think that gives us two quality forwards, which is pretty much what we were aiming for last January.

We've been told (and I think we can see) we're two front men short. Remy and Gomis are a bit different as forwards anyway. Now, two of Remy, Gomis, Bent could just about be classed as a contingency, and perhaps that's it, but if we're going to adopt this approach, more than just Remy would be needed.

We kind of invent our own position of strength, because we've decided we're going to be hard line in negotiations no matter what (or pretty close anyway). Our squad situation is neither hear or there as far as the selling club is concerned.

Just because we take a hard line in every case doesn't mean every case is the same from the selling end. They'll take into account our situation, as we will theirs, and make the determination about how to advance the process thusly. Sometimes we can get away with being complete pricks and get the job done, sometimes not. The point is that we appear to be placing ourselves in a position where if we pull out of negotiations, as is our right, we don't have a great Plan B. And as we're aware of that, Lyon is as well, strengthening their position.

All of this is, of course, total speculation as none of know the exact ins and outs of the actual negotiations.

Just because we take a hard line in every case doesn't mean every case is the same from the selling end. They'll take into account our situation, as we will theirs, and make the determination about how to advance the process thusly. Sometimes we can get away with being complete pricks and get the job done, sometimes not. The point is that we appear to be placing ourselves in a position where if we pull out of negotiations, as is our right, we don't have a great Plan B. And as we're aware of that, Lyon is as well, strengthening their position.

All of this is, of course, total speculation as none of know the exact ins and outs of the actual negotiations.

I know what you're saying, I just mean that the selling club know that we probably won't budge... so our position as regards our existing squad is fairly irrelevant.

Guest neesy111

Absolute joke as usual these negotiations.  We only ever get things done if there's a clause in a contract, coming to end of contract or if either club is near relegation.