Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

Have they not accepted offers that met their valuation, only for the player to turn down the moves? Can see why they're unwilling to accept a lower offer if that's the case. We're playing a blinder here if he's set on joining us, but at the same time very vulnerable to other clubs coming in that might interest him.

Guest Nobbys Trumpet

I'd be happy with any 2 from Bent, Remy, Gomis really

1 to start and 1 for the bench

If this guy is our #1 target and Carr, Pardew and Kinnear are all in agreement on that should we not just make it happen?

Is a potential £1m or so really worth moving on down the list to whoever comes next? Someone who, for whatever reason, we rate as being less desirable than Gomis?

This is the kind of thing I had hoped we had "learned from" given our dealings last summer and our subsequent business in January, i.e. that getting the best deal purely in terms of the numbers isn't always the way to go about things. There are other things to take into consideration, such as when the deal actually happens for instance, or how desperately short in that area we are.

Also just don't understand what odds a million here or there really makes to supporters in terms of advocating an "oooh that sounds like too much, let's move on" reaction, particularly when it doesn't look like many are advocating an overhaul of the squad (so there's no worries about the money being taken away from strengthening elsewhere.)

I suppose we haven't had any "third and final offer" type media stories yet like, so we may be willing to push a little bit further.

If this guy is our #1 target and Carr, Pardew and Kinnear are all in agreement on that should we not just make it happen?

Is a potential £1m or so really worth moving on down the list to whoever comes next? Someone who, for whatever reason, we rate as being less desirable than Gomis?

This is the kind of thing I had hoped we had "learned from" given our dealings last summer and our subsequent business in January, i.e. that getting the best deal purely in terms of the numbers isn't always the way to go about things. There are other things to take into consideration, such as when the deal actually happens for instance, or how desperately short in that area we are.

Also just don't understand what odds a million here or there really makes to supporters in terms of advocating an "oooh that sounds like too much, let's move on" reaction, particularly when it doesn't look like many are advocating an overhaul of the squad (so there's no worries about the money being taken away from strengthening elsewhere.)

I suppose we haven't had any "third and final offer" type media stories yet like, so we may be willing to push a little bit further yet.

:thup:

Really don't get how people can be happy for us either to move onto a worse target or get no one at all so that fat bastard can make a few extra million quid in profit.

I suppose we haven't had any "third and final offer" type media stories yet like, so we may be willing to push a little bit further.

Nail on head Rich.

We're already offering more than I'd ever expect us to in this situation.  Who knows what we value him at but personally I'd value him at 10m Euro's if he had a lengthy contract.  So I expected us to offer no more than 6 or so million Euro's given he's only got one year left and is agitating for a move here.  I think 8m is such a good offer, also they want 10m.

Also I think if we we're prepared to pay 9m Euro's we'd still have to wait a decent amount of time to offer that, or you can almost guarantee Lyon will think "7m, then 8m, now 9m in quick succession, plenty of time to wait for their 10m offer".

We're already offering more than I'd ever expect us to in this situation.  Who knows what we value him at but personally I'd value him at 10m Euro's if he had a lengthy contract.  So I expected us to offer no more than 6m Euro's given he's only got one year left and is agitating for a move here.  I think 8m is such a good offer, they want 10m btw.

How lengthy a contract we talking here? Surely it differs depending on the exact number of years/months remaining?

We're already offering more than I'd ever expect us to in this situation.  Who knows what we value him at but personally I'd value him at 10m Euro's if he had a lengthy contract.  So I expected us to offer no more than 6m Euro's given he's only got one year left and is agitating for a move here.  I think 8m is such a good offer, they want 10m btw.

From the little I have seen of this guy and bearing in mind age, contract length etc, I would agree with this.

The very fact that the club have - as usual these days - left things to the last minute and limited their choices so much shows that the increase in the offer was made in some desperation.

How lengthy a contract we talking here? Surely it differs depending on the exact number of years/months remaining?

Anything 2 years or over, the important thing here is that because he has only a year left once this window closes they're very probably losing him for nothing.  Because their next opportunity to sell him would be in January with 6 months left and by that time he can sign a pre-contract for a free transfer.

Anything 2 years or over, the important thing here is that because he has only a year left once this window closes they're very probably losing him for nothing.  Because their next opportunity to sell him would be in January with 6 months left and by that time he can sign a pre-contract for a free transfer.

Thanks for clarifying, this is all very enlightening stuff.

Transfermarkt has his current value listed as €12m though, so maybe we're getting a bargain regardless of whether we pay €6m, €8m or €10m.

Well I don't think Newcastle should guage the value of a player based on Transfermarkt or my opinion obviously.  Like I said who knows what we value him at, I can only give my opinion.  If we did go back with 9m Euros I wouldn't be disappointed, but at the same time I'm not going to have a go at them for not offering more than 8m Euros because IMO its a very good offer.

Offer addons, keep the base price the same. I think £7m is not only fair but the most we should be paying.

Enrique was a better lb than Gomis is a striker in his league and we let him go for £6m; sometimes you've just got to accept you rent going to get real market value when a player is in the last year of their contract.

I know Aulas is notoriously a bastard to deal with.

But I was convinced he wouldn't reject this.

Player apparently going awol, chairman wanting rid, coach saying he will definitely leave and last year of contract.

I would be surprised if anyone offers more, it seems very stupid from lyon's point of view they really don't win here.

Anyway hoping some sort of agreement can be found.

From the little I have seen of this guy and bearing in mind age, contract length etc, I would agree with this.

The very fact that the club have - as usual these days - left things to the last minute and limited their choices so much shows that the increase in the offer was made in some desperation.

Is it not just a normal negotiation process that's being undertaken?

If we really want him then just ring that Aulas and tell him we'll leave it, tell him we'll move onto our next target. Go ahead and make a fake bid for a random Ligue 1 striker thus making Aulas shit himself and ring us back accepting the £6.9m. Easy this transfer game.

Again though, have other clubs not offered their valuation as recently as a few weeks back? Plenty of time left in the transfer window, and as much as they may want rid, they know we are desperate for strikers. Why would they accept a lower offer than the ones they've received before at this stage?

Well I don't think Newcastle should guage the value of a player based on Transfermarkt or my opinion obviously. Like I said who knows what we value him at, I can only give my opinion.  If we did go back with 9m Euros I wouldn't be disappointed, but at the same time I'm not going to have a go at them for not offering more than 8m Euros because IMO its a very good offer.

Well we agree on something, at least. His value is ultimately what NUFC - or someone else he's content to join - is willing to pay for him and what Lyon are willing to accept. This appears to be what the two clubs are currently attempting to establish, as tends to be the way during negotiations.

All I was saying was that I had hoped we'd learned to be a little less rigid in or valuations given what happened last summer and in the season following it. That maybe it's sometimes worth taking a financial hit on occasions when the chips aren't all stacked in your favour.

You then went and stuck a rigid valuation on him yourself, which I naturally found frustrating :lol:

Fair enough they appear to be desperate to get rid, he apparently wants to come here and he's only got 12 months left on his contract, etc. but Lyon also know that we're desperate for a striker and this guy is apparently our first choice. It works both ways.