Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Personally think he's a bit similar to David Batty, though maybe not as wild in the tackle.

He's not as tough as Batty but he's a lot better going forward. Batty was more like Butt in that he didn't carry the ball into the opposition half and usually passed sideways.

Guthrie makes a lot of sideways passes too, the difference between him doing it and the likes of Batty, Jenas or Parker is that his balls are about spreading the ball about to stretch teams and give us more width rather than playing it simple.

Personally think he's a bit similar to David Batty, though maybe not as wild in the tackle.

He's not as tough as Batty but he's a lot better going forward. Batty was more like Butt in that he didn't carry the ball into the opposition half and usually passed sideways.

Guthrie makes a lot of sideways passes too, the difference between him doing it and the likes of Batty, Jenas or Parker is that his balls are about spreading the ball about to stretch teams and give us more width rather than playing it simple.

Guthrie carries the ball forward too, in general he just strikes me as having more ambition about his game than the likes of Batty who was a purely defensive midfielder. Guthrie still needs to up his game to be real midfield general though. He's improving and that's all you can ask at the moment.

Guest Howaythetoon

Was everything you'd like in a midfielder today, his running and stamina stood out as well which is something I've often wondered about with regards to Guthrie.

Guest Jawesome

I was going to post something along the lines of "Guthrie is playing very well today" in the match thread, but didn't want to put the kiss of death onto him LoL.  Brilliant performance and he thoroughly deserved his goal.

not good enough

He's shit!!

Fucking shit!

We don't need squad players. We've just played a full season with squad standard players in midfield. We need first teamers.

We need both.

Larrson squad player - Yes

Guthrie - No

We do need both, we just don't need less than average shite like Guthrie.

JOE Kinnear watched Danny Guthrie score his first competitive goal for Newcastle United and then described the young midfielder as "an unsung hero."

Signed in the summer from Liverpool, Guthrie netted in pre-season friendly outings against Hartlepool and PSV Eindhoven.

But his first Barclays Premier League goal for the Magpies was something special, coming in the closing stages of a resounding 3-0 win over Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

Afterwards, his gaffer challenged the youngster to make it the first of many in a black and white shirt.

Joe said: "Danny's goal to make it 3-0 was the icing on the cake for us and it was a terrific move.

"I'm really pleased for Danny as he's been an unsung hero for us.

"He's a great kid and I think he is a good box-to-box player.

"I'd love him to score a goal like that in every game, but Danny is such a hardworking player and I'd like really to see him get into the opposition box a bit more as he is a decent finisher.

"Hopefully that goal will lead to better things for him. He took it exceptionally well."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1488672,00.html

As an outsider looking in I was unsure what the fuss was about Guthrie, seems mediocre. But he impressed me today, giving the defence an option to play through him instead of automatically lumping it up, and really giving their midfielders a hard time to boss things.

The fact Portsmouth never got started should be taken into account before jumping to conclusions, but if he can keep up the standard he displayed today, then he may be one of the value signings of the season.

Seems like most of the transfers done by Ashleys new system have work...Excluding injury's  (these cant be helped) Just another reason why Keegan has gone down in my estimations

I hope you've got your tin hat on.

Seems like most of the transfers done by Ashleys new system have work...Excluding injury's  (these cant be helped) Just another reason why Keegan has gone down in my estimations

I hope you've got your tin hat on.

Its kind of sad that he actually needs one.

Guthrie, Basson, Coloccini, Jonas...all great business in the transfer window this season, as it's turning out. Obviously the jury is still out, but Guthrie has been playing well and deserves his place in the starting 11.  :thup:

All these players jsut cost us totally 10m.  Fucking brilliant business tbh.

I wouldn't say Ashley's system is better but I definitely cannot see we bring in these kinda "economically efficient" players if Keegan has the say.  More likely we will have established players in EPL like Dunne which will cost us a lot more.

Guthrie played well yesterday but he's been up and down this season - credit for a good performance and hopefully more of the same but I'll reserve judgment to wait and see the same week in and week out - then I might compare him to the likes of David Batty.

Guthrie, Basson, Coloccini, Jonas...all great business in the transfer window this season, as it's turning out. Obviously the jury is still out, but Guthrie has been playing well and deserves his place in the starting 11.  :thup:

All these players jsut cost us totally 10m.  f***ing brilliant business tbh.

I wouldn't say Ashley's system is better but I definitely cannot see we bring in these kinda "economically efficient" players if Keegan has the say.  More likely we will have established players in EPL like Dunne which will cost us a lot more.

I doubt Dunne would have cost more than Coloccini.