Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

So, basically, you're just another impatient idiot moaning about this transfer window for no good reason?

I sure am. I need to to be able to tell you I told you so later on.. Do you remember last summer´s and this January´s transfer windows, because there is a pattern to be found..?

What's the pattern? How many players who paid off their own contracts did we get?

How much did we invest (substracting income from players sold)? How much did our competitors and the top 4 invest?

Are you going to acknowledge the £8m bid they turned down from one of our competitors wasn't 'all paper talk' then? Seem to have conveniently missed my post.

Guest MaetihS

Well, it looks like you all truly believe we have signed superman.. You know it's only a showboy thing right? ;)

Your point doesn't even make sense anyway. If you're not sure he's any good, why then complain at the fact he looks like not costing us much?

Care to respond to my point about Portsmouth getting an £8m bid turned down for him btw?

I'm not on about this particular player. I haven't seen much about him and there is always the small chance  that he has just been nothing special until his mid 20's only to become a high class player afterwards. I'm not complaining about this particular player not costing us to much; I hope he has a role to play in our squad, but I will happily admit I AM worried about us chasing targets of this ilk while clubs that we are supposedly competing with are signing players of a much higher pedigree than us at the moment. A while ago we were all laughing at Parky (I believe) for saying we were going to need 100 million to get back in the top four. With the way other clubs are spending money like bever before he may well have been right, and if Ashley thinks he is being smart by lowering our cost structure and getting in players of this level on the cheap I seriously hope it doesn't backfire badly. All in all, I just don't understand all the enthousiasm about this deal. The 8 mill bid by Portsmouth is all paper talk (and we are all to keen these days to discard paper talk as rubbish), and in the end this is a player that we all HOPE will prove to be a good signing, not one any of us was hoping we would sign. In many people's minds he's already our first choice right midfielder: based on what I ask?

Quite true. I am a bit underwhelmed by this signing tbh. Did some check on him, correct me if i am wrong, he is not exactly a first choice player in Mallorca. in and out of the first team.also read that gerry armstrong for some reason thinks he is good providing ammunition for Guiza but he only like has 5 assists. hope he can develop when he is here cos he is not that good at Mallorca from what i know.

Well, it looks like you all truly believe we have signed superman.. You know it's only a showboy thing right? ;)

Your point doesn't even make sense anyway. If you're not sure he's any good, why then complain at the fact he looks like not costing us much?

Care to respond to my point about Portsmouth getting an £8m bid turned down for him btw?

I'm not on about this particular player. I haven't seen much about him and there is always the small chance  that he has just been nothing special until his mid 20's only to become a high class player afterwards. I'm not complaining about this particular player not costing us to much; I hope he has a role to play in our squad, but I will happily admit I AM worried about us chasing targets of this ilk while clubs that we are supposedly competing with are signing players of a much higher pedigree than us at the moment. A while ago we were all laughing at Parky (I believe) for saying we were going to need 100 million to get back in the top four. With the way other clubs are spending money like bever before he may well have been right, and if Ashley thinks he is being smart by lowering our cost structure and getting in players of this level on the cheap I seriously hope it doesn't backfire badly. All in all, I just don't understand all the enthousiasm about this deal. The 8 mill bid by Portsmouth is all paper talk (and we are all to keen these days to discard paper talk as rubbish), and in the end this is a player that we all HOPE will prove to be a good signing, not one any of us was hoping we would sign. In many people's minds he's already our first choice right midfielder: based on what I ask?

Quite true. I am a bit underwhelmed by this signing tbh. Did some check on him, correct me if i am wrong, he is not exactly a first choice player in Mallorca. in and out of the first team.also read that gerry armstrong for some reason thinks he is good providing ammunition for Guiza but he only like has 5 assists. hope he can develop when he is here cos he is not that good at Mallorca from what i know.

Which is nothing as you've already stated. So shut up and stop moaning.

So, basically, you're just another impatient idiot moaning about this transfer window for no good reason?

I sure am. I need to to be able to tell you I told you so later on.. Do you remember last summer´s and this January´s transfer windows, because there is a pattern to be found..?

What's the pattern? How many players who paid off their own contracts did we get?

How much did we invest (substracting income from players sold)? How much did our competitors and the top 4 invest?

Christ. He has paid his own contract off. Is that a genuinely difficult concept? He could be worth £40m, if he's paid his own contract off, we'd still have got him for the same amount.

And Arsenal have spent less overall than just about everyone over the past five years btw. That's because Wenger disagrees with your opinion that money = success.

If we'd come out and announced that we'd signed this bloke for £10m, would you be more comfortable, yes or no? Bring back Shepherd and his brilliant negotiating, all is forgiven. :rolleyes:

Guest MaetihS

Love how Pompey were supposedly willing to pay £8m but getting him for peanuts is bad business. :lol:

I'd never heard of Dimitar Berbatov, Pascal Chimbonda, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Habib Beye, Kolo Toure, Robin van Persie, Eduardo da Silva, Luis Nani... I could do this all night. But he was cheap (for reasons that were f*** all to do with his actual value) so he must be s***.

Oh and he's also s*** because he's only the right winger from a club who have finished 7th in one of Europe's best two leagues - I reckon we should go after Bentley instead.

hahaha tbh, i have heard of all the mentioned except for Toure. In fact, i knew Berbatov is a very good signing. they are all either stars or rising stars before coming to the Prem.

Are you going to acknowledge the £8m bid they turned down from one of our competitors wasn't 'all paper talk' then? Seem to have conveniently missed my post.

It´s a quote from a dodgy chairman (http://www.mallorcacharteredsurveyors.com/en-news.asp?id=28) desperate to recoup some money to make up for his failings whilst in the process of selling up the club. It sounds rather like whinging to me, and I don´t know what to make of it.. Anyway, as I´ve said before, it´s not about this particular signing that I am increasingly concerned, it´s about our comparative low spending and our cost cutting culture compared to our competitors.

Love how Pompey were supposedly willing to pay £8m but getting him for peanuts is bad business. :lol:

I'd never heard of Dimitar Berbatov, Pascal Chimbonda, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Habib Beye, Kolo Toure, Robin van Persie, Eduardo da Silva, Luis Nani... I could do this all night. But he was cheap (for reasons that were f*** all to do with his actual value) so he must be s***.

Oh and he's also s*** because he's only the right winger from a club who have finished 7th in one of Europe's best two leagues - I reckon we should go after Bentley instead.

hahaha tbh, i have heard of all the mentioned except for Toure. In fact, i knew Berbatov is a very good signing. they are all either stars or rising stars before coming to the Prem.

hahaha tbh I've been to St James' Park. If you don't like my club from my city, do one.

hahaha tbh I've been to St James' Park. If you don't like my club from my city, do one.

And that's the bottom line, cos Steve Bould says so

It´s a quote from a dodgy chairman (http://www.mallorcacharteredsurveyors.com/en-news.asp?id=28) desperate to recoup some money to make up for his failings whilst in the process of selling up the club. It sounds rather like whinging to me, and I don´t know what to make of it.. Anyway, as I´ve said before, it´s not about this particular signing that I am increasingly concerned, it´s about our comparative low spending and our cost cutting culture compared to our competitors.

:lol:

So that's a no then. Case closed.

Fair enough, guess I deserved that.

Will you still be laughing if Harry gets SWP for let´s say 8 million now he´s supposedly missed out on Jonas? I know I won´t..

I will reserve my chuckling until the end of the season. I will have a pre-chuckle at Christmas if necessary, but as I know fuck all about Gutierrez he might turn out to be better than everything ever

Agree completely.

Fair enough, guess I deserved that.

Will you still be laughing if Harry gets SWP for let´s say 8 million now he´s supposedly missed out on Jonas? I know I won´t..

Ask me when I've seen him play. Keep having to repeat this for some reason.

It's a gamble on a player from another league, but then it's a gamble on a player who's not played regularly for a few years and has some way to go to hit his previous heights is it not? If SWP goes for £8m then he's probably worth about £5m btw.

We need to start paying massively over the odds for players even when they're going cheap or free. That makes them betterer innit?

I paid £8 for a loaf of bread earlier. My sandwiches on Monday will be fucking sublime. :smitten:

Agree completely.

The low spending thing might well stand up I suppose, but where is the 'cost cutting culture' info coming from? Just the rags from what I can see, and they've demonstrated in the last week exactly how much they know about us. It's just rumour at this stage. Well there was a rumour posted last night that the salary cap thing is bollocks, why not believe that instead?

It'll all come out in the wash. Let's judge at the close of the transfer window and then how we do next season.

If it was all purely about how much we spend, we'd have done a hell of a lot better under the last lot* than we did.

*Not a criticism before anyone starts...

We need to start paying massively over the odds for players even when they're going cheap or free. That makes them betterer innit?

I paid £8 for a loaf of bread earlier. My sandwiches on Monday will be fucking sublime. :smitten:

On a similar note, I'm never buying pringles again. (See General Chat if you don't get that)